Cruising revs

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Cruising revs

Post by AdamF »

I'm wondering what kind of RPM I'd see while cruising on the freeway at 65mph and 80mph. I remember my old LS was about 2900 for 65mph and 3500 for 80mph.

Thanks!
Adam
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Champ R
ITRCA Member

Re: Cruising revs

Post by Champ R »

Stock, at 80mph im around 4300rpm in 5th.
CW 98 #805
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Assuming a stock tire size and stock 4.4 FD.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Champ R wrote:Stock, at 80mph im around 4300rpm in 5th.
Yikes! Is the engine able to take this? Or am I going to have to modify my highway cruising speeds?

Also, does it make it hideously loud, then, to cruise at 80mph?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

My cruising revs at 80 is 5000 rpms.
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I guess. 76K and counting. Turn at least 4300 rpms for the majority of my daily commute to and from work (30 miles each way). Over 30mpg last tank too. Burns a fair amount of oil, but still compression checks and runs great.
AdamF wrote:
Champ R wrote:Stock, at 80mph im around 4300rpm in 5th.
Yikes! Is the engine able to take this? Or am I going to have to modify my highway cruising speeds?

Also, does it make it hideously loud, then, to cruise at 80mph?
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

Yup, its about 4200-4300. It doesnt bother me at all, you get used to it. Sometimes I even turn off the radio and just listen to everthing working in harmony. :D

Its funny though, whenever Im driving my non-Honda friends on the highway, they invariably ask, "are you in 5th??", "are you sure??" hehe.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

jetydosa wrote:Yup, its about 4200-4300. It doesnt bother me at all, you get used to it. Sometimes I even turn off the radio and just listen to everthing working in harmony. :D

Its funny though, whenever Im driving my non-Honda friends on the highway, they invariably ask, "are you in 5th??", "are you sure??" hehe.
Why do people think that 4k is stressful on the engine?

I am at over 4500k on the highway almost all the time. I get 30+ mpg, sometimes 35 on the highway.

Hondas (most of them at least) are meant to rev. In the scheme of things 4500 rpm on the highway for 8 hours is much less stressful than constantly (100+ track miles) being in VTEC (6-8400rpm) at the track at WOT all day.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it was something I just overlooked when looking at the ITR. Is it so loud that it drowns out the music or is it okay in that respect? I came from a car that was *very* loud, an old Austin Mini, so I'm somewhat desensitized...or so people tell me. Not to mention completely desensitized to stiff ride. Anyhow, the biggest concern I had with the old mini was it became labourious over time to feather the throttle because the car had a *way* over spec horsepower (85 vs. 55-60). That may not sound like much, but remember the car weighed in at around 1250lbs and we're talking about 1960's technology engines with sloppy fuel systems, only 3 main bearings, and what I would characterize as not the most efficient ignition systems ever...coupled with it only being a 1275cc engine :p.

Anyhow...I digress...I'm just concerned with comfort in a long drive as my mini was NOT. I used to own a 1995 LS, as I'd mentioned, is it fairly comparable in this respect?
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

it's louder, stiffer, and more raw than a 95 LS, but not anywhere near unbearable.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

dawhiteboy wrote:it's louder, stiffer, and more raw than a 95 LS, but not anywhere near unbearable.
Well the stiffer is what I was looking for, the more raw...I suppose I like that too. I'm just wondering what degree of louder it is :). That and how much ankle fatigue I'll incur from the throttle. I know that's sort of a weird thing to ask about...but if any of you have ever driven an old mini for an extended period of time...you'd know *exactly* what I'm talking about :).
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

AdamF wrote:
dawhiteboy wrote:it's louder, stiffer, and more raw than a 95 LS, but not anywhere near unbearable.
Well the stiffer is what I was looking for, the more raw...I suppose I like that too. I'm just wondering what degree of louder it is :). That and how much ankle fatigue I'll incur from the throttle. I know that's sort of a weird thing to ask about...but if any of you have ever driven an old mini for an extended period of time...you'd know *exactly* what I'm talking about :).
Have not driven an old mini, but have driven other old british and japanese cars that are far less than civilized...

It's louder inside mostly from no sound deadening, but also a bit more engine noise. It's quieter than an LS with practically any aftermarket exhaust.

as for the ankle fatique part, I doubt you'll have an issue there either :P
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

dawhiteboy wrote:
AdamF wrote:
Have not driven an old mini, but have driven other old british and japanese cars that are far less than civilized...

It's louder inside mostly from no sound deadening, but also a bit more engine noise. It's quieter than an LS with practically any aftermarket exhaust.

as for the ankle fatique part, I doubt you'll have an issue there either :P
Thanks for the help Dave :)

As long as I can turn on the radio and the engine isn't drowning it out, I'll be content. The shorter gears otherwise are actually an advantage since I'll be able to get better acceleration overall.

I remember now that I never really used the cruise on my old LS. It tended to overcompensate on throttle when accelerating and seemed to get me significantly worse gas mileage. So I don't much care about it anyhow.

The car still has A/C, which is what I really cared about :).
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

AdamF wrote: I'm just wondering what degree of louder it is :).
OEM exhaust and OEM axle ratio is not all that loud. You are not going to have a problem with hearing the radio at normal high speeds, up to 80 miles per hour.

If you're driving faster than that, you probably need to turn the radio off and pay attention to what you're doing, anyway. :)
That and how much ankle fatigue I'll incur from the throttle.
You must drive your Mini the way Prince Philip drives his. You won't have the same problem in the ITR, assuming OEM seats and a normal driving position.

In most ways, the ITR is an ideal daily driver for an enthusiastic driver who likes to be in touch with the car and the road.

The most common axles are 4.40 (USDM), 4.78 (JDM), and 4.92.

Odds are that your car is 4.40, and the noise isn't going to bother you.

Gas mileage doesn't go south unless you're crusing at 5000 or higher (assuming stock motor w/stock USDM cams).
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

George Knighton wrote:
AdamF wrote: I'm just wondering what degree of louder it is :).
OEM exhaust and OEM axle ratio is not all that loud. You are not going to have a problem with hearing the radio at normal high speeds, up to 80 miles per hour.

If you're driving faster than that, you probably need to turn the radio off and pay attention to what you're doing, anyway. :)
That and how much ankle fatigue I'll incur from the throttle.
You must drive your Mini the way Prince Philip drives his. You won't have the same problem in the ITR, assuming OEM seats and a normal driving position.

In most ways, the ITR is an ideal daily driver for an enthusiastic driver who likes to be in touch with the car and the road.

The most common axles are 4.40 (USDM), 4.78 (JDM), and 4.92.

Odds are that your car is 4.40, and the noise isn't going to bother you.

Gas mileage doesn't go south unless you're crusing at 5000 or higher (assuming stock motor w/stock USDM cams).
Ah! Thanks for the information regarding sound and such, I appreciate it very much! :)

As far as how I drove the mini, I didn't have much choice in feathering the throttle. Actually depressing the throttle a significant amount had the car going 120+kph and I didn't really want to do that very often given conerns of hurting the engine...plus when I'd go between 90 and 100kph I'd get about 42 US mpg (5.6L/100km).
WTypeRogerX
New ITRCA Member

Post by WTypeRogerX »

Stock v. stock, my old '90 CRX si used to rev at about 4000 rpm at 85 mph, the ITR higher. The ITR revs higher in each gear than the CRX, but I didn't really notice it until I look at the tach because the flywheel and clutch are lighter and freer reving engine. So any ankle fatigue is less. At these revs, you're not even in VTEC, so the stress is minimal on the engine. Engine noise does not bother me - rather the louder exhaust in conjunction with removed sound dampening materials. You might get tired of the exhaust drone on long highway stints - best advice is to ride in one and see if you can handle it if you have very long commutes. Radio is a POS and tinny since there is no sound deadening material, but you can still hear it at highway speeds. I don't turn it on except when I'm highway cruising with the windows closed and the A/C on. The rest of the time, the engine/exhaust provides the music.