Update: Help me find my perfect ITR

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Cloggerdude
New ITRCA Member

Update: Help me find my perfect ITR

Post by Cloggerdude »

Let me start off by apologizing in advance if this is the wrong section of the forum for this. I've been trying to lurk around here for a couple of weeks now and I figured this was the best place for it.

First off, I've located an ITR on AutoTrader that seems to be in pretty good shape and he claims it's never had any mods. You can see it by clicking here.

For those who don't wish to click, here's a quick rundown:
2001 Model, Car #948
75k miles
17" JDM Civic Type R Wheels
Bought it from a Honda engineer in 2004 with 17k miles.

Is this a good price on the car, assuming all the above holds true? KBB and other sites do not maintain listings for the car, so I would appreciate your input. Also, since some of you guys seem to know a lot about the different ITR's out there, does anyone know anything about this particular car? Is it owned by someone who frequents this board?

Edit: Just found where he listed the car on the board. He apparently just signed up to post it for sale though: Classifieds Link

I live in TN, but I will be traveling to Charlotte, NC for all of next week on a business trip, so I plan on checking the car out then if possible. Thoughts and suggestions on what I should look for?

Secondly, a more subjective question. I've recently been trying out a lot of new cars. Went today and tried out a new 370Z, which was an extremely nice car, but quite a bit more expensive. I've also tried out a couple of new Civic Si Coupe's. From what I've read, the Si is definitely going to have a nicer interior and "newness factor," but the ITR is more of a drivers car. Any thoughts on how the Si compares to the ITR?

Finally, I currently drive a '00 S2000, so I'm used to a rough ride. That being said, I'm looking for something that's at least a little more practical for everyday use. Is the ride in the ITR overly harsh? I'm not opposed to a little harshness, but it would be nice to have a general idea at least.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you guys can give me!
Last edited by Cloggerdude on September 3rd, 2009, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98TypeR#21
New ITRCA Member

Re: ITR Questions

Post by 98TypeR#21 »

I have a '98 ITR (120k miles) and had until recently an '01 s2000 (had 115k miles). The S2000 and ITR are very different cars in my opinion.

The s2000 felt knife-sharp in terms of handling (very little body roll), but was much less forgiving than the ITR. The ITR pulls much stronger at the low end than the s2000 (at least mine does). You can start in 2nd gear without bogging very easily. The LSD in the type-r gives great traction, even in snow (as long as you have snow tires).

In twisties, the type-r rolls a bit more than the s2000 making it feel a bit softer, but it's super-predictable which makes it easier to have fun in my opinion. You talk about the s2000 being a harsh ride (I wouldn't describe it that way, but I know what you're trying to say). The ITR is a smoother, slightly softer ride, but by no means is it an accord-ride.

The ITR's clutch, tranny, and engine all feel less fragile to me than the s2000. The s2000 is a great car, but for comparison purposes, they feel very different. The itr feels beefy and ready for the track. Driven normally, I always feel like I'm putting very little stress on the engine, tranny, clutch etc... I think it's because they're overdesigned for track use.

I've been trying to find a car that would be as fun as the type-r, but just can't find anything. The type-r is the best car I've ever owned.

Hope this helps you a bit.
ITRnightrider
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRnightrider »

thats about the same price my itr was with 89k, but i only paid 10k cuz the guy was a friend.

I absolutely love the caR! I beefed up the suspension so its really ruff, shattered my side mirror and busted a ball-joint after hitting a pothole so its really stiff, and its my DD. Its a really fun caR, i dont mind the loud noice or its ruff ride at all lol. The SI is nowhere near the fun of an itR i think. I mean they have speed and handling but nothing like an itR. Its like its baby bro, its bulit like 'em but not quite the same.

If you have no problem riding in an s2k then you'll have no problem at all in an itR. More leg, shoulder, and arm room. The ride is ruff but not overly, and also loud. Though i like the feel of the s2k, its like sitting in a go-kart, everything all closed in, steering wheel right on your lap, shifter right at hand reach. its like your part of the car whenever you sit in it. ugh i love it, ill be buying one after i finish my R lol. but anyways If you like sports cars then you'll love an itR, its a perfect DD for a sport car enthusiast. Personally its like no other honda ive driven.
"Racing a domestic is like racing in the special Olympics.
Even if you win, your still retarded."
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Having owned both... Well let's just say I had 2 R's before an S2K... only had the S2K for 6 months before I sold it and got another R.

But they are night and day differences between the cars. I personally much prefer the ride in the ITR vs. the S2K. More than an hour ride in the S2K and get me out of it. Could never quite get the seat where I wanted it to be comfortable. Then take into consideration the lack of space in it.

For me, it's a no brainer. I'll never EVER own an S2K again but would gladly own more ITR's.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
98TypeR#21
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98TypeR#21 »

Dave_B wrote:Having owned both... Well let's just say I had 2 R's before an S2K... only had the S2K for 6 months before I sold it and got another R.

But they are night and day differences between the cars. I personally much prefer the ride in the ITR vs. the S2K. More than an hour ride in the S2K and get me out of it. Could never quite get the seat where I wanted it to be comfortable. Then take into consideration the lack of space in it.

For me, it's a no brainer. I'll never EVER own an S2K again but would gladly own more ITR's.
Interesting that you mention long drives, dave.

I have a 9 hour trip to a family reunion every year, and for the last 8 years it's been in my s2000 (jersey shore - perfect for convertable). The ride up and back wasn't too fun however. This year (because I don't have the s2k), we'll be taking the R which I'm actually looking forward to. It really is (among other great qualities) a much more comfortable car for long drives. 8)

Steve
w4kj4k
New ITRCA Member

Post by w4kj4k »

98TypeR#21 wrote:
Interesting that you mention long drives, dave.

I have a 9 hour trip to a family reunion every year, and for the last 8 years it's been in my s2000 (jersey shore - perfect for convertable). The ride up and back wasn't too fun however. This year (because I don't have the s2k), we'll be taking the R which I'm actually looking forward to. It really is (among other great qualities) a much more comfortable car for long drives. 8)

Steve
It sucks not having cruise control though! haha
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

For the mileage I think the price sounds pretty fair. Especially if the motor and suspension have been untouched. I'd put the stock wheels back on it though. Or at least some 15's.
2001 Integra Type-R NBP #201
http://www.integratyper.org - ITR Registry!
Martgsr
New ITRCA Member

Post by Martgsr »

I have a coupe SI 2006. Its totally different from the ITR.
You can feel that the handling on the itr ,is more precise, more agility overall.
But the SI feels strong and more TQ at lower RPM. Brake are awesome if you put good brake pads on it.
I did some track (lapping) with my SI and its doing very well for a stock car. (except for brake)
But the SI is and feel definetly bigger and heavier.

But for DD only, i prefer my SI with stock suspension, its more comfortable :lol:
Cloggerdude
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cloggerdude »

I really appreciate all the replies guys. Like I mentioned, I was on a business trip all of last week, so that's why I didn't get to reply to the thread.

It's actually been a pretty turbulent weekend. I bought a brand new 370Z Saturday night. I absolutely loved it, but after doing some soul searching and checking on insurance rates, I decided that the monthly payment was just going to be more that I wanted to pay. The dealer was very nice and let me return it, but daggone if I don't already miss it. Extremely nice car if anyone out there was wondering.

That being said, I'm definitely back on the hunt for a Type R. The 2001 I linked to earlier in this thread didn't end up working out; he never replied to any of my e-mails or anything. I've found a few more though. Would you guys mind taking a look and letting me know what you think?

2001 Yellow Type R - 37k Miles - $15,300
^ This is the one I'm really interested in. I hate to pay that much for an 8 year old car, but I realize the premium associated with one that has low miles like that.

2000 Black Type R - 59k Miles - $13,995
^ No offense to anyone who owns one, but I'm not a real big fan of black on these cars. That being said, this seems to be a nice car, with a decent price.

2001 Yellow Type R - 68k Miles - $12,495
^ Other than the 36k mile ITR above, I'm most interested in this car. It seems like a good price and the car looks pretty nice too.

I would really like to find a White one, but they seem to be in short supply. I would prefer a car with very minimal modifications. You guys are the experts though.

Any comments about the above cars would be greatly appreciated. Know of a nice ITR for sale? Let me know about that too! Thanks again guys.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Well, in all honesty what I did for my first one was go to google and type in ITR or Integra or Type R and then the badge number. Google searched on all of the forums and I could read up about the cars (provided the other owners had them on there)

Totally avoided the first one I was looking at after learning that he had nitrous on it, and blew it up. The dealership selling it still wanted 17,900 for the car... and so I walked.

Make sure to get a carfax, make sure all VIN's match (if that's important to you) make sure you drive it and you don't hear any odd noises are grinds in the transmission.

Also, be willing to travel. 2 of the 3 ITR's I've owned, I travelled around or above 1k miles for them. Well worth it to me, and gives you a chance to get accustomed to the car on the drive back.

But definitely don't settle... get what you want, not something that just works out for you.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
Cloggerdude
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cloggerdude »

Dave_B wrote:Well, in all honesty what I did for my first one was go to google and type in ITR or Integra or Type R and then the badge number. Google searched on all of the forums and I could read up about the cars (provided the other owners had them on there)

Totally avoided the first one I was looking at after learning that he had nitrous on it, and blew it up. The dealership selling it still wanted 17,900 for the car... and so I walked.

Make sure to get a carfax, make sure all VIN's match (if that's important to you) make sure you drive it and you don't hear any odd noises are grinds in the transmission.

Also, be willing to travel. 2 of the 3 ITR's I've owned, I travelled around or above 1k miles for them. Well worth it to me, and gives you a chance to get accustomed to the car on the drive back.

But definitely don't settle... get what you want, not something that just works out for you.
This is good advice Dave, thanks.

Pretty much all of these cars are about 5-6 hours away from me, but I'd be willing to drive it in order to get the car I want.

I'll do a Google search on the badge numbers like you suggested.
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

Cloggerdude wrote: This is the one I'm really interested in. I hate to pay that much for an 8 year old car, but I realize the premium associated with one that has low miles like that.
You will definitely pay for low mileage. If miles are low and all services have been well documented, not to mention minty condition, it's worth it to me. I paid 18k last march for an 01 with 27k in Immaculate condition. I lucked out with only a 3.5 hour drive from home! Have a secure garage before buying and ITR though! Very important!!!
Cloggerdude
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cloggerdude »

I just found this car on AutoTrader: 1998 Type R - 18k Miles

I called and talked to the dealership and the guy said that it was the owners car. It's been garaged its entire life and it was pretty much just his toy. He said it was mint inside and out.

The only thing I really noticed that bothered me was the Momo(?) steering wheel. How much would it cost to put a stock wheel and airbag unit back in the car? I'm assuming it wouldn't be cheap.

Any thoughts on the car otherwise?

Edit: Just found this Integra Steering Wheel & Airbag on e-bay. Would that work for a 1998 Integra?
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

Cloggerdude wrote:The only thing I really noticed that bothered me was the Momo(?) steering wheel. How much would it cost to put a stock wheel and airbag unit back in the car? I'm assuming it wouldn't be cheap.

Any thoughts on the car otherwise?
Can't beat mileage and a single owner though!
Last edited by beastnatch on September 3rd, 2009, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloggerdude
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cloggerdude »

beastnatch wrote:The steering wheel and the other 4 wheels... can't beat mileage and a single owner though!
Yeah, it's a pretty sweet looking deal really. If I can replace the wheel with a stock one (I've seen them for $225 on ebay), then I may be very interested.
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Re: Update: Help me find my perfect ITR

Post by beastnatch »

Not sure if this one is still available or not...

http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11012
beastnatch
ITRCA Member

Post by beastnatch »

Cloggerdude wrote:Yeah, it's a pretty sweet looking deal really. If I can replace the wheel with a stock one (I've seen them for $225 on ebay), then I may be very interested.
Might ask the stealership if the owner has the original set laying around...sweeten the deal a bit!
malv1
New ITRCA Member

Post by malv1 »

Hey Clogger, where are you in TN? There are a few owners in middle TN that are on here and H-T.

I don't think you will regret picking up an ITR but if you think the Z has expensive insurance, you might want to check with your insurance company on the ITR... My 98 ITR was $32 a month more to insure than my 08 Z roadster was... :shock:

If you go with the R, you won't regret it. The only thing I regret is selling it!

GL with the hunt
Cloggerdude
New ITRCA Member

Post by Cloggerdude »

malv1 wrote:Hey Clogger, where are you in TN? There are a few owners in middle TN that are on here and H-T.

I don't think you will regret picking up an ITR but if you think the Z has expensive insurance, you might want to check with your insurance company on the ITR... My 98 ITR was $32 a month more to insure than my 08 Z roadster was... :shock:

If you go with the R, you won't regret it. The only thing I regret is selling it!

GL with the hunt
Hey malv, I'm located in the Tri-Cities area (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City). Pretty much right on the pointy end of the state.

I haven't found a ITR yet, but I'm definitely still looking. I actually keep going to look at other cars (911's, Boxters, S2000's), but I always end up still wanting an ITR.

As for the insurance costs, I figured they would be pretty high. That being said, that wasn't really the reason for me returning the 370Z. It was more the astronomical car payment each month, heh.