Question about selling the R

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
crumbsnatcher74
New ITRCA Member

Question about selling the R

Post by crumbsnatcher74 »

I have a pending sale for my Type R to a buyer from out of state. Do I have to give him my plates? Is the signed Title enough proof that he is now the new owner, should he get pulled over by police? Reason for asking is that my plates expire on 10/17 and I didn't want to spend $100 to renew plates just to sell the car. Sorry, I've never sold a car privately before. Thanks.
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Re: Question about selling the R

Post by Doespike »

Legally you're not supposed to give him the plates. He's responsible for getting his own plates or temporary tags from either your state or his own to transport the car. That being said, some people will let the new guy borrow the old plates just to help him out. The prior owner of my R did that for me, then I mailed him back the plates. Just make sure he knows enough to obey the traffic laws. It's for his own benefit. I don't think he'll want to explain it to the state strooper who's standing there and wants to impound the caR. ha

Added..
It can be a real pain doing it the right way, honestly. Especially if he's out of state. Once he gets there, you may have to ferry him to your DMV to get the temp tags, etc. (A lot of this varies by state, some states have temp tags if you're taking a car from the state to another, some states have tags if you're bringing it in)
Really have to scour the DMV(s) websites.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
crumbsnatcher74
New ITRCA Member

Doespike wrote:Legally you're not supposed to give him the plates. He's responsible for getting his own plates or temporary tags from either your state or his own to transport the car. That being said, some people will let the new guy borrow the old plates just to help him out. The prior owner of my R did that for me, then I mailed him back the plates. Just make sure he knows enough to obey the traffic laws. It's for his own benefit. I don't think he'll want to explain it to the state strooper who's standing there and wants to impound the caR. ha

Added..
It can be a real pain doing it the right way, honestly. Especially if he's out of state. Once he gets there, you may have to ferry him to your DMV to get the temp tags, etc. (A lot of this varies by state, some states have temp tags if you're taking a car from the state to another, some states have tags if you're bringing it in)
Thanks for the insight. I'll have stop by the DMV to get some details since they have nothing specific about this topic on their site nor do they have a number to call.

Another question relating to selling a car.....Did you pay cash or cashier's check from a national bank for your car? I hear many horror stories about checks bouncing after keys and titles have been signed over. I've asked the buyer to either pay with CASH or cashier's check from a national bank such as Wells Fargo or US Bank so I can cash and clear the check immediately at a local branch office in Milwaukee. Does this sound like I'm being too much of a prick to make him do this specifically? I dont know this guy and can't just trust his "honesty."
crumbsnatcher74
New ITRCA Member

Doespike wrote:Legally you're not supposed to give him the plates. He's responsible for getting his own plates or temporary tags from either your state or his own to transport the car. That being said, some people will let the new guy borrow the old plates just to help him out. The prior owner of my R did that for me, then I mailed him back the plates. Just make sure he knows enough to obey the traffic laws. It's for his own benefit. I don't think he'll want to explain it to the state strooper who's standing there and wants to impound the caR. ha

Added..
Found what I was looking for. Your post led me to the right place. The page below confirms exactly what you said. Buyer just needs signed Title and temporary plates to drive the car back to TX. OK, now I just need this guy to make good on his offer.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/ve ... /nolaf.htm
Doespike

Post by Doespike »

I paid most with a cashier's check from Bank of America, plus a few hundred cash so he had money right away. Hopefully he can get a check from a bank with a branch in your area so you can verify it immediately.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
ITR Expo!
crumbsnatcher74
New ITRCA Member

Bummer....transaction fizzled out as buyer learned of his new military deployment. Oh well, atleast I learned some valuable info on privately selling a car. Car still up for grabs.
Impulse8986
New ITRCA Member

Post by Impulse8986 »

Year mileage badge # pictures of the caR? ixiimpulseixi@gmail.com if email is easier
Doespike

Post by Doespike »

Impulse8986 wrote:Year mileage badge # pictures of the caR? ixiimpulseixi@gmail.com if email is easier
This caR is sold.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
ITR Expo!
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

few months too late :)
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels