'98 Type R 3rd Gear

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

'98 Type R 3rd Gear

Post by pUrExTc »

Has anyone else (with a '98 Type R) noticed that when you're running to redline in 2nd gear, and try to shift quickly into 3rd...it kind of locks you out; of course causing you to midshift...i guess you could force it in, but that would be bad...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

How many miles since you last changed the MTF, maybe thats the problem?
swed
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

np problems on my 98 R
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

What I should have said is for $15 change out the MTF and put some fresh new Honda MTF in and see if that helps. Start with the cheap things first...
swed
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Uh...nope.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

a friend of mine has a '97 GS-R, and his 3rd gear does the same thing. He says it's the clutch... :?:
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Kramar
New ITRCA Member

Post by Kramar »

Try changing out for some fresh Honda MTF. My '99 Si shifted a lot smoother after after I changed the tranny fluid.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Nope

Post by Aj »

I hate to brake it to all of you, but changing you're fluid isn't going to help a bad synchro, which, if you only have the problem higher up in the rev range, that is the problem. Take it to Acura, they'll tell you the same thing right away. If you can shift in a lower Rpms with out grinding or forcing it in, but at higher Rpms it doesn't want to go, or grinds, then that's a synchro thats shot. Good Luck with it though.....

Aj
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

it's not that it grinds, it just locks you out. i don't know what it is exactly...my gf just bought a new '03 Civic EX, and it does the same thing...and 1st gear locks you out after you're at a certain speed, unless you either rev high, and then put it into first, or shift 2nd, then up to first; or you come to a complete/near complete stop. I'm sure you guys who use your Type-R as your daily driver know what I'm talking about.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

1st gear and reverse lock you out depending on speed. The rest, they don't...otherwise nobody would be blowing motors by mis-shifting.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

No problem with mine. I do sometimes have a hard time getting it into reverse - dealer of course said there was nothing wrong. Mine ('98 with 41kmiles) is sometimes notchy, like it almost beats the synchros, when driving sedately and shifting from 1st to 2nd or (more so) 2nd to 3rd; this is not true when driving it hard, though. When I'm up in the revs it shifts like butter. Strange.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

joe s, so do you ever encounter this problem (3rd gear) while driving normally?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

This answer is going to sound silly, but I see it with my students all the time.

Are you sure that you are depressing the clutch pedal to the floor and that the carpet is not obstructing the path?
It doesn't take much to make it look like a clutch or synchro problem.
Lazy shifting is often the culprit. Pay attention to your high rev shifts, and let me know.
Sometimes, with the seat pulled back to far, your leg doesn't extend enough, and you don't realize this because high rev shifts are done too quick.

If all is O.K., AJ is right on with his diagnosis.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

i will keep my eye (err...foot) on it! "students?" u teach racing school?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I ONLY get it when driving normally, 1st to 2nd shift, and 2nd to 3rd shift - like it's cold and the fluid is still viscous....thing is, it's not just when it's cold, and not All the time. NEVER when driving hard ie up in the rev range a bit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks!
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Yeah, come to think of it, it's a random occurance. I have those good days at the tracks where it only does it maybe once out of 20 runs or something, or I have those other bad days when it's like...3 times out of 12 runs or something. And I think it has occured when driving normally, although I don't recall...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Drakef505
New ITRCA Member

Post by Drakef505 »

Do any of you get that alot were the floor mat moves up and gets in the way of clutch? This always happens to me is there any way to keep it from moving or anything?