I think this is heR...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

I think this is heR...

Post by sptrescue »

Hey all,

As you some of you know I have been looking for an R for yeeaaaRRRRssss. With extensive daily research and multiple test drives I think I have finally found the one. Unfortunately I wont be able to test drive this one until I'm looking to buy it due to the fact it is about 8-10 hours from me roughly, I have been in contact with the seller for months now and finally got the specifics from her this morning.

2000 Black ITR
One Adult Owner
Stock, other than bilstein shocks
Barely driven, and reason for selling is she has 8 cars
She's not really motivated to get rid of the car she is just waiting for me to come by and check it out

Asking price is around $16k, kinda high. I do like the fact it was owned by a female and adult driven, it's stock which is great and it has low mileage. Never wrecked.

What do ya think?

1/23/2010

Here is a pic of the engine bay, I've been looking over it meticulously, other than the rust and the valve cover does anyone see anything bad/negative? Is the rust bad specficly for the ITR?

Last edited by sptrescue on January 23rd, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_B

Re: I think this is heR...

Post by Dave_B »

Stock, low mileage and adult owned and you think 16k is a little high?
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
98TypeR#21
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98TypeR#21 »

Dave - I was thinking the same thing.

These things are just getting rarer and rarer. If the car is in as good of condition as it sounds (always an IF of course), and it was well maintained, it sounds like a great car and a good deal!

Steve
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

haha guys I know it's worth the 16k...but I'm not looking to spend that much, we will see.

Also...the only flaw is that it has acorn dings on the hood, she is gettin it fixed...and the valve cover needs to be re-sprayed or get a new one. Simple things.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

All I can say is this, you usually get what you pay for. IMO 16k would be a fair price to pay for that car. If you can't afford that, there are plenty out there for less, but dont' expect such a car with low mileage and stock.

sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

Dave_B wrote:All I can say is this, you usually get what you pay for. IMO 16k would be a fair price to pay for that car. If you can't afford that, there are plenty out there for less, but dont' expect such a car with low mileage and stock.
I think I just need to break down and get it, I've been looking for so long and I've been looking for one exactly like this. I really like the fact that a kid hasn't owned it and dawged it out. I highly doubt it's even on the registry.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

That would certainly be pluses in my book. Sometimes you just gotta pony up and get what you really want.

sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

Agreed. I just checked the registry and there is no sign of heR...I'm saving another R(I hope soon) lol
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Get on it. And post pics when it's in your garage. :)

MINTY FRESH
New ITRCA Member

Post by MINTY FRESH »

Hello Gentlemen

I would have to agree with Dave_B. If you have decided you want a specific year and specific color with a specific history (unmolested and such) you have put yourself into a position that requires more money than wisdom would dictate. When I went hunting for mine, cost almost became a secondary concern. And in the end it will always be cheaper to buy what you want.

Anyway, the following 2001 Type R has been posted a few times on ebay. This might give you an idea of how much a low mile, unmolested R is being offered for in the open market. But of course, I would never buy a car without seeing it in the flesh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-In ... sQ5fTrucks

Hope this helps.

MINTY FRESH
the_integra_man
New ITRCA Member

Post by the_integra_man »

spend the extra, you'll be glad you did! And nice find MINTY, that thing is goRgeous!
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

Minty, that thing is niicccceeee....It's been up for sale for a while, just wait the right person will get heR.
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

Uploaded a pic of the engine bay...comments...?
Doespike
Half way to a cool title.

Post by Doespike »

Um, not worth $16k IMO. That engine bay looks like a lot more than 56k miles or all those miles were salty winters. My '98 has 120k miles and the engine bay has zero corrosion compared to that. That engine bay looks seriously like my 2001 Integra with 103k miles and winter duty for the past 10 winters. I'd also be suspect of the suspension components and bushings.

That splattering texture on the header heat shield, front side of head and vc definitely look like salt corrosion.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

Doespike wrote:Um, not worth $16k IMO. That engine bay looks like a lot more than 56k miles or all those miles were salty winters. My '98 has 120k miles and the engine bay has zero corrosion compared to that. That engine bay looks seriously like my 2001 Integra with 103k miles and winter duty for the past 10 winters. I'd also be suspect of the suspension components and bushings.

That splattering texture on the header heat shield, front side of head and vc definitely look like salt corrosion.
It has been outside most of it's life and covered...I was very surprised to hear that considering it hasn't been stolen...also I'm not to thrilled with the corrosion and rust. The suspension has been upgraded to Bilstein that's the only non-stock part on the car however I do understand that suspension might be prone to this weathering as well. I do think the way the engine bay has been kept up does play a little in negotiating price.

Anything else I need to be in concern of?
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

I would have to agree with Joe, if it's truely 56k miles, they have been hard/not taken care of. That bay shows aweful ownership.

MINTY FRESH
New ITRCA Member

Post by MINTY FRESH »

Hello sptrescue

Run. That's all I can say. Since I live in Edmonton, Alberta and our winters are well . . . awful, I can say that I have experience with unpleasant winter conditions and how such conditions affect metallic objects. One of our SUVs is 12 years old and lives exclusively outside and it does not look like this. However, I have seen a number of cars that were flood recovered that do look like the picture you have posted. I must have seen at least a couple of dozen such vehicles coming through various auction centres in the Edmonton area after the flooding that occurred in Winnipeg the previous year. All of them had considerable surface rust throughout the engine bay, even on top of the suspension components, and a few had paint beginning to flake off. On top of that, as mentioned by others, there are the localized splattered areas that imply the caR has been driven in unpleasant conditions without the benefit of proper car.

Once more, I say run. Even if you can remove the surface rust and replace the corroded suspension components, there are other matters that may be lurking underneath. Also, the low mileage could be a reflection of a car that was immobilized for considerable amount of time due to flood damage.

MINTY FRESH.
98ITR747
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98ITR747 »

I agree with Joe and Dave. Your 16k can go A LOT farther. That rust in the engine bay is like a red alert that the owner hasn't been meticulous.
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

I say no higher than 13k.

You know there's a 98 for sale, original owner and similar miles in VA beach for 13900?
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

98ITR747 wrote:I agree with Joe and Dave. Your 16k can go A LOT farther. That rust in the engine bay is like a red alert that the owner hasn't been meticulous.
Thanks everyone for the comments, I agree that the rust shows poor ownership, I thought I was just sold on the mileage and it being a one owner. I think it could be saved but I would rather have something I could enjoy rather than have to fix from the get go.
I say no higher than 13k.

You know there's a 98 for sale, original owner and similar miles in VA beach for 13900?
I was not aware there was one for sale in VA beach...don't mean to sound lazy but do you have a link? I search pretty hard almost everyday and I don't think I've ran upon this one, but maybe I have and haven't realized it.
Doespike

Post by Doespike »

Yeah, not saying this is a horrible R...just that she'll need a lot of restore work sooner than later. $16k will get you a far superior ITR.

Here's the '98..

http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=41 ... stcount=19

The engine bay on the '98 looks just normal dirty....not full of corrosion.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

On top of that you have a high mile/clean PY in NC
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11520

Then elambz FBP which I'm sure you can get for much less than asking
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11474

that's not even searching that hard either
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

Still searching...
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

If you don't' mind me asking, where in NC are you?

Let me know what you're looking for and your price range and I'll keep my eyes peeled.
sptrescue
ITRCA Member

Post by sptrescue »

itrsteez wrote:If you don't' mind me asking, where in NC are you?

Let me know what you're looking for and your price range and I'll keep my eyes peeled.
I'm in the 910...prefer black, but will consider any color. Looking to stay under $15k, obviously the less expensive the better but if it's the right deal, than it's all good.

Does anyone know anything about this R?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1590987257.html