OEM Lug Nuts

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Shoey
New ITRCA Member

OEM Lug Nuts

Post by Shoey »

I am going to be running mazda millenia wheels on my ITR this summer. Anyone know if the ITR OEM lug nuts will fit (seat properly) on these wheels?
MrHeavyfoot
New ITRCA Member

Re: OEM Lug Nuts

Post by MrHeavyfoot »

No,
I believe the OEM lug nuts are acorn/ball shaped whereas the Millenia wheels are conical (or vice versa). At any rate, I wouldn't recommend using the OEM nuts.
Pat
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Shoey wrote:I am going to be running mazda millenia wheels on my ITR this summer. Anyone know if the ITR OEM lug nuts will fit (seat properly) on these wheels?
I have been using OEM lugs on the millenia wheels for about 10k (~6 months) with zero issues. I'm now a bit worried and will get my facts straight.
Last edited by coolhandluke on April 26th, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Shoey
New ITRCA Member

Post by Shoey »

MrHeavyfoot wrote:No,
I believe the OEM lug nuts are acorn/ball shaped whereas the Millenia wheels are conical (or vice versa). At any rate, I wouldn't recommend using the OEM nuts.
Can anyone confirm this? The Type R are ball shaped for sure but I have no clue about the millenia. If they are conical then I can run my aftermarkert lugs which is fine with me. I just want to know so I don't have lugs flying off at the track.

Thanks
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

Millenia rims definitely use conical seats for the lug nuts. Here's a thread I found on another forum that might be of some help selecting some.

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14660
1995 Milano Red Civic EX-S 'EJ1' coupe
Inherited from and dedicated to Holly Marie Patterson
R.I.P. August 29, 1983 - September 17, 2003
Shoey
New ITRCA Member

Post by Shoey »

Maybe I read the post wrong on your link but it sounds like he is saying mazda oem lugs are ball shaped?
KOALA YUMMIES
New ITRCA Member

Post by KOALA YUMMIES »

Shoey wrote:Maybe I read the post wrong on your link but it sounds like he is saying mazda oem lugs are ball shaped?
That's what I read too. He says "When switching to aftermarket (AM) wheels, it will be necessary to obtain replacement lug nuts since the seating surface of OEM nuts, being of the ball type, does not interface properly with AM alloy wheels."
Last edited by KOALA YUMMIES on May 3rd, 2010, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

I actually did some research before I posted anything. The rims he asked about use conical shaped lug nuts.

The link I posted was just something extra I found, and I said it MIGHT help you.

I answered the question correctly and then gave him more information so he can do further homework.

At least I'm trying to help the guy.
KOALA YUMMIES
New ITRCA Member

Post by KOALA YUMMIES »

Last edited by KOALA YUMMIES on May 3rd, 2010, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KOALA YUMMIES
New ITRCA Member

Post by KOALA YUMMIES »

"When switching to aftermarket (AM) wheels, it will be necessary to obtain replacement lug nuts since the seating surface of OEM nuts, being of the ball type, does not interface properly with AM alloy wheels."

That's quoted from the information leafblower's link.

"My local wheel/tyre dealer tells me that the industry standard for wheel nut taper, and the corresponding tapered surface on the wheel, is 60 degrees. Yesterday I took a set of Rota Subzeros off my NC, and it was clear that the two surfaces were a perfect match. Mazda alloy wheels appear to take a different approach on both our cars (stock '98 NB and NC LE). The taper on the alloy wheel is much steeper than the wheel nut,"
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=214940

"Yup - as are some other OEM wheel locks. The Splinedrives from McGard were definitely nicer though.

Acorn are what the Mazda ones are"

http://www.protege5.com/forum/showthrea ... =123734466

The exception being the RX8, according to some posts I found.

But you should be able to look at, and feel the lug seat and tell the difference between the "ball seat" and a "tapered seat" pretty easily.
Last edited by KOALA YUMMIES on May 3rd, 2010, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebomber
New ITRCA Member

Post by bluebomber »

Thanks for clearing that up then.
MrHeavyfoot
New ITRCA Member

Post by MrHeavyfoot »

Well, this is just one example, seems slightly ambiguous and can't be considered definitive, but I read this as the lug nuts are conical on the Millenia, Protege, 6, RX6 and RX8.

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/20-Black ... 32339.html

"One Piece Acorn Lug Nuts (20 lug nuts)"
"Conical Seat"

I think Acorn describes the shape of the entire lug nut, and does not mean that the seat face is curved. My bad.
Pat
Shoey
New ITRCA Member

Post by Shoey »

Thanks for the info guys. So from what I have read, both on this site and others, it appears the millenia wheels use conical lugs.