Best ITR Header

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
K20Death
New ITRCA Member

Best ITR Header

Post by K20Death »

What do you guys think is the all around best header for ITR?
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: Best ITR Header

Post by Dave-ROR »

K20Death wrote:What do you guys think is the all around best header for ITR?
THere isn't one. The "Best" depends on your car and it's mods.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

LOL...

How much money do you want to spend?

A good buy right now is probably the SMS Products header in coated steel. It's under $900 and flows good enough that you will not have to change headers even after extensively modifying the motor.

For a dyno of my motor in its current state of tune, go to: www.george.knighton.com

You have another very good choice, however, IMHO.

If you are not going to modify your car very much, that is to say, you're going with intake, header, exhaust and basically stopping with that, then I heartily recommend either the OEM JDM 4-1 header or the DC JDM 4-1 header (which is pretty much a cheap copy of the OEM Honda header).

These are cheap (OEM) to very cheap (DC). If you go the route of the OEM JDM header, you can also spend a little more and get the upper heat shield, and no one will ever suspect you even have a header. It will look completely stock.

Here is a dyno of my car with Comptech Icebox, OEM JDM header, SMS cat, and SMS 2.5" cat back:

OEM JDM Header and SMSP Exhaust

So that you can get an idea of how much improvement this was over stock, here is a dyno of my car when it was completely stock:

Original Dyno Completely Stock

Quite a bit of time elapsed between these three dyno charts; however, all the readings were on Dynojet, so the equivalence shouldn't be too very far off.
K20Death
New ITRCA Member

Post by K20Death »

Can anyone link me to the SMS Products web site, Im having some trouble finding it. Thanks for the help
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

K20Death wrote:Can anyone link me to the SMS Products web site, Im having some trouble finding it. Thanks for the help
540 287 6384

David doesn't do Web sites. I've tried, believe me.
K20Death
New ITRCA Member

Post by K20Death »

He doesnt have a web site? Do I just call and tell him I want a header?
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

K20Death wrote:He doesnt have a web site? Do I just call and tell him I want a header?
LOL... Pretty much!

He's in the process of a run of 35 headers right now.

Perhaps someone will back out of an order and you won't have to wait long.

You can also tell him that you'd appreciate having a Web site.
K20Death
New ITRCA Member

Post by K20Death »

How much do they run, do you know?
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

George Knighton wrote:A good buy right now is probably the SMS Products header in coated steel. It's under $900 and flows good enough that you will not have to change headers even after extensively modifying the motor.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Is this a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 or is there an option for either. My plan was to get a Mugen 4-1 or a Spoon 4-2-1. But I am still undecided.

Mugen has a Diameter of 45mm-50.8mm-60.5
Spoon has a 52mm on their one piece 4-2-1 Header and 42.7mm-56mm-60mm on thier 2 piece 4-2-1.
Most of the other JDM manufacturers use the same measurements as Mugen for thie 4-1 designs.

All are ranging about 900 and Up. The OEM Header is an excellent piece just that the weight is it's only down fall, but you will have to shell out a few $$ for a good quality lightweight header.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Zodiac R279 wrote:Is this a 4-1 or a 4-2-1
I'm thinking that was directed toward the SMSP header, since it was under my post.

Here's a picture of one of SMSP's headers, sitting on a table:

Here's a picture of a header under process, on the blown block that he uses to form the pipes. This will give you an idea of the ground clearance:

I think that Dave has sold all but one of the run of coated mild steel headers. These were the cheapest ones available, and if you're after saving a little money you might call him to see if by some miracle someone's backed out of the last coated steel header.

He's in the middle of a run of 10 H22 headers, and then he's starting a run of 40 stainless steel ITR headers.
PUNKITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by PUNKITR »

That header is unreal looking! I want one :lol: Too bad the wife will leave me imediately upon my ordering it.

George, Does this replace the header and cat, then just bolt up to the cat-back? What kind of street setup do you recommend? I just got a Tanabe Super Racing Medalion cat-back and the was gonna be my only mod, but you know how the car game is, I'm sure I will be doing a header and higher flow cat sooner or later, I can't eliminate the cat because emissions laws are on their way here in PA :evil:
Thanks, Matt
2004 wrx
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

PUNKITR wrote:George, Does this replace the header and cat, then just bolt up to the cat-back? What kind of street setup do you recommend?
In my case, the header bolts up to a custom cat, and then an SMSP 2.5" cat back the rest of the way.

Considering its gains on the dyno, I do recommend it.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

George Knighton wrote:
Zodiac R279 wrote:Is this a 4-1 or a 4-2-1
I'm thinking that was directed toward the SMSP header, since it was under my post.

Here's a picture of one of SMSP's headers, sitting on a table:

Here's a picture of a header under process, on the blown block that he uses to form the pipes. This will give you an idea of the ground clearance:

I think that Dave has sold all but one of the run of coated mild steel headers. These were the cheapest ones available, and if you're after saving a little money you might call him to see if by some miracle someone's backed out of the last coated steel header.

He's in the middle of a run of 10 H22 headers, and then he's starting a run of 40 stainless steel ITR headers.
:shock: Oh MY what a Big Header you have!!!

Maaaan that think is unreal. Ground Clearance is wild!! Okay now that I have gotten that off my chest. Where Does this thing FIT??? Is it just my Imagination or does that think look EXTRA Long?
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

it is extra long. It fits to the head but just like any JDM header it needs some custom work on the back side.
K20Death
New ITRCA Member

Post by K20Death »

So the SMSP Header wont bolt directly on to a ITR stock exhaust cat? and will the header scrape if ITR is lowerd at all?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

It is one of the least likely to scrape.

The SMSP along with the Toda, Hytech, JDM 4-1, DC JDM 4-1, Kamikaze, Spoon, Mugen 4-1 (JDM COllector), Comptech race header and probably others won't bolt to a stock exhaust cat.
jorge
New ITRCA Member

Post by jorge »

I got the mugen hooked up to my stock exhaust. Bolted right up. It was done at king motorsports.
RGoose18
ITRCA Member

Post by RGoose18 »

George Knighton wrote:
LOL...

How much money do you want to spend?

A good buy right now is probably the SMS Products header in coated steel. It's under $900 and flows good enough that you will not have to change headers even after extensively modifying the motor.

For a dyno of my motor in its current state of tune, go to: www.george.knighton.com

You have another very good choice, however, IMHO.

If you are not going to modify your car very much, that is to say, you're going with intake, header, exhaust and basically stopping with that, then I heartily recommend either the OEM JDM 4-1 header or the DC JDM 4-1 header (which is pretty much a cheap copy of the OEM Honda header).

These are cheap (OEM) to very cheap (DC). If you go the route of the OEM JDM header, you can also spend a little more and get the upper heat shield, and no one will ever suspect you even have a header. It will look completely stock.

Here is a dyno of my car with Comptech Icebox, OEM JDM header, SMS cat, and SMS 2.5" cat back:

OEM JDM Header and SMSP Exhaust

So that you can get an idea of how much improvement this was over stock, here is a dyno of my car when it was completely stock:

Original Dyno Completely Stock

Quite a bit of time elapsed between these three dyno charts; however, all the readings were on Dynojet, so the equivalence shouldn't be too very far off.
George, are these dyno plots produced without tuning through VAFC or Hondata??? Very impressive......
2001 NHBP ITR
00ITR
New ITRCA Member

i run hytech and everyone seems to say it is best

Post by 00ITR »

run the hytech header and full exhaust with JUN stage 3 cams, springs, and ti retainers. Other mods include hondata, aemcai, msd ignition, injectors, and milled and slight polished head
When the green flag drops the bullshit stops
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Rgoose, George's dyno's are with a Hondata.