Rebuilt Motor Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Rebuilt Motor Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by JDMITR98 »

I just got my motor rebuilt and at first it seemed like it had alot of torque and my throdle responce was alot better then before, but now it has lost it all- no torque anymore, We can't fugure out what has happend. The battery tested out OK. I am worried because the machine shop that rebuilt it said that since it was running to rich (both of my o2 sensors are bad) that it may be loseing compression from the rings going bad already(it only has 725 miles on the rebulit motor) HELP please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spec's on motor- SRP oversized 11.4-1 compression pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, and Mugen headgasket.
Reid
ITRCA Member

Re: Rebuilt Motor Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Reid »

Do a compression test and also a leakdown test.

If you are running extremely rich, fuel may be washing oil off the cylinder walls.
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

The car is running rich but not that bad- I found out it has blow-by so all I know about that is it could be the rings?? Anyone else have any suggesitions?Please???????????????
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

JDMITR98 wrote:Anyone else have any suggesitions?Please???????????????
DaReidsta wrote:Do a compression test and also a leakdown test.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

dawhiteboy wrote:
JDMITR98 wrote:Anyone else have any suggesitions?Please???????????????
DaReidsta wrote:Do a compression test and also a leakdown test.
Is your ECU throwing any codes? I know sometimes when there are problems with your sensors the ECU will run in Safe mode so as not to allow you to cause damage to the engine. this will inhibit the performance of the car as well. Try resetting the ECU (disconnect it from the battery for a few minutes and see if that makes a difference. However if there is a problem it may return to safe mode after a while.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Is your ECU throwing any codes? I know sometimes when there are problems with your sensors the ECU will run in Safe mode so as not to allow you to cause damage to the engine. this will inhibit the performance of the car as well. Try resetting the ECU (disconnect it from the battery for a few minutes and see if that makes a difference. However if there is a problem it may return to safe mode after a while.
The problem is her rings are going.

You are going to have to rebuild again.
Last edited by Reid on June 5th, 2003, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

Reid wrote:
Zodiac R279 wrote:Is your ECU throwing any codes? I know sometimes when there are problems with your sensors the ECU will run in Safe mode so as not to allow you to cause damage to the engine. this will inhibit the performance of the car as well. Try resetting the ECU (disconnect it from the battery for a few minutes and see if that makes a difference. However if there is a problem it may return to safe mode after a while.
The problem is his rings are going.

You are going to have to rebuild again.
"Her" rings-sorry yes I am a girl. I am getting a compression test and leakdown done tomorrow I will let you know the numbers

And do you really think I am going to have to rebuild again after only 700 miles?? I drove it like a baby. That is a bunch of crap- this Type R will be for sale if that is true.
Reid
ITRCA Member

Post by Reid »

JDMITR98 wrote:"Her" rings-sorry yes I am a girl. I am getting a compression test and leakdown done tomorrow I will let you know the numbers

And do you really think I am going to have to rebuild again after only 700 miles?? I drove it like a baby. That is a bunch of crap- this Type R will be for sale if that is true.
Why did you rebuild it in the first place?

What procedure did you use to break in the motor?
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Not sure why the rings would go bad so soon and you are still breaking in the engine. But if that is the case you will have to replace them which means removing the head and the pulling the pistons. But my guess is that the person who installed them must have done something wrong. OR the operator didn't break in the engine properly OR the Rings were Bad or defective
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

Hey now it was not the person who broke it in. When I broke it in I only got on it once after 500 miles and an oil change- then it had oil leaking problems from the oil pan, valve cover, and the PVC valve- all which were new gaskets.
From then on it has just been downhill :cry:
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

I agree with Reid, sounds like the rings are going.

By "her" he meant your ITR. I guess you're not familiar with the age-old ritual of man referring to his vehicles as "her" or "she".

Anyhow, you're probably going to have to break it down and put new rings in. The person who did it may not have even replaced the rings, which would have been stupid, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

-Adam
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

YEAH!!!!!!
I just got my compression test and leakdown back and the motor is running strong!!!!! The shop said that the problem is the ECU- that it is just very confused becasue it is attempting to compensate.

Compression:
#4 #3 #2 #1
215 212 214 215

Leak down: 5% 5% 6% 5%

Now my question is what should I do about the ECU? Buy a whole new system or just chip the current one??
:D
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Just like Zodiac said, the ecu goes into open loop when it detects a fault such as code 16 or 45 (fuel). Open loop means non-sensor feedback, another words, your ecu will refer to a fuel and ignition map that is not optimized for performance, but designed to get you home, or to a service facility to take care of the problem. You can check the codes by connecting a jumper or paperclip to your test connector (it's the green one on the right side under the dash, above the ecu) Then the engine light will flash then pause and flash again, one flash pause, then six flashes would be a code 16 for example. If you modified the fuel requirements of the engine, and the ecu is unable to compensate, the primary O2 sensor will read too much or too little oxygen in the exhaust. The best remedy is to find out if the engine is running rich or lean. A good shop can weld a second bung into your exhaust, and attach a wide-band oxygen sensor to test the oxygen content in the exhaust stream. Then a recommendation can be made about engine management, either piggyback, or standalone, or as you mentioned, chipping the ecu. If the oxygen content in the exhaust is too high, then you need more fuel, you can easily buy larger injectors, up to 310cc can be handled by your stock ecu, anything more will require engine management. This response is oversimplified, but gives you an idea of the problem you are dealing with.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.