Tough Decision :/

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Re: Tough Decision :/

Post by fredtoast »

Actually this is much more than a car question. You are actually struggling with deep, subconscious issues regarding the duality of mans nature. Our souls are constantly struggling to find balance between opposing forces. You will face this same basic dilemma of "comfort verses excitement" in all phases of your life. Every choice you ever make, from what hobbies and movies you enjoy all the way up to picking a career path and spouse will involve "comfort verses excitement". So I suggest that you read some theses on Jungian psychology; learn to recognize and balance the forces of the Yen and the Yang: then GO OUT AND BUY THE DAMN ARRRRR!

Fred, whose R has more scruffs than most but none caused by sponges.
Last edited by fredtoast on June 5th, 2003, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
98-0658
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

fredtoast wrote:Actually this is much more than a car question. You are actually struggling with deep, subconscious issues regarding the duality of mans nature.
:shock:
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

The scuffing may have come from the car wash guys who washed the car for him a couple weeks ago. They managed to chip some paint off of the spoiler, so I wouldn't be surprised. Regardless, I repaired it anyway.

I drove a GS-R yesterday...I'd definitely agree the brakes are noticeably inferior. I guess overall it was of noticeably inferior performance...but it *was* of noticeably higher comfort and luxury.

I'm still not quite sure which I'd rather have yet. I think I was originally attracted to the R because I wanted an actual performance vehicle. However, when thinking about most of the driving I'd be doing in college, it seemed as though comfort and luxury would play a larger part in my driving experience than performance.

I suppose asking this question on a Type R board is of course going to yield most replies to be "Get the Type R", though. Eh, I haven't made up my mind yet...but I'll let you guys know when I do.

To the guy who made the comment regarding scuffing and "this guy doesn't need an R"...I certainly hope you were joking. What probably happened was it either got scuffed at the car wash a few weeks ago...or there was some junk lodged in the sponge. Either way, it's fixed now. Took some 2000 grit and compound to it...in a very careful manner. It ended up not being as serious as it originally appeared to be so no bodywork was needed ;).
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

I thinking the Scuffing comment was a joke as I found it funny when I first read that the words Scuff and Sponge were in the same sentence.

I do think as a 19 year old College Student that a GSR would be better from a financial stand point. the payment and the insurance would be high for the average College Student but again I don't know your Financial situation so that may not even be a factor to you.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
snookerblack7
New ITRCA Member

Post by snookerblack7 »

Actually, the word scuff is pretty funny by itself..
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Trey wrote:JDM spec R has 2 more HP than a US Type-R. it is 195 hp to 200 ps (197 hp)

a bone stock R is anywhere from 155-170 depending on year and strength. My 98 was 159 and my 2000 was 168.

Also depends on how the car was broken in. Although the Rated Hp is only 2 hp as you say the Whp is a bigger difference for some reason. Maybe it's the emmission control? Who knows. All I know is that average Hp posted on these Web forums are (for USDM) around 168 hp which you also confirm with yours. I have a 98 spec, BONE STOCK, JDM type R engine and it gets 178 whp.

The rated Hp must not mean too much since all USDM Type R's are rated at 195 and by your own statement you say they range from 155-170 that's a whole 15 hp range. :lol:
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

yes it is. But then again, the dyno makes a huge difference. Some dynos here will dyno the same car on the same day with a 10-15whp difference. Dynos are only useful for some tuning and comparisons on the same dyno, same day, about the same time, under controlled conditions.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Trey wrote:These aren't show cars . . . .:)
HELL YES, finally someone else who understands. Stop waxing the damn thing and get out there and DRIVE.

By the way George, you word yourself very well, especially when it comes to putting words to a somewhat indescribable emotion, such as how it feels to have this crazy love for the ITR. Just a compliment.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Well, I've come to the conclusion that, despite the noise etc., I still love the Type R. However, I also found a 1999 GS-R with 57k miles for $12.500...so I think I may just end up getting a GS-R since that price leaves me needing about a $3500 loan instead of a $10000-12000 loan. I'm sure you guys can guess why that'd be attractive ;)

As a backup I found a 2000 with 20k miles on it for 16k and it's barely been used. I guess that's what happens when someone buys it as a second car. The lady's husband just goes in the garage and spruces it up when he's bored. They've put a whopping 3000 miles on it in the year they've owned it. Anyhow, they're selling it because the guy got a boat...which I found amusing.

Thanks for your help guys :)
TypeR882
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR882 »

if i were you, i would get the ITR. No other integra compares hands down!!
londonsuede
New ITRCA Member

Post by londonsuede »

Get the damn ARRrrrrrrr.

You can have luxary when you die! :twisted:
Where ever you go , there you are.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Well I saw the 12.500 GS-R today. It was in good shape...unfortunately I'm "second in line" as far as buyers go for it.

I also went and looked at the $17k car. It was immaculate except for it had 2 inch exhaust plumbing all the way through...and the 2 inch bore muffler at the end. Coupled with some outrageously large CAI...the kind that seems to go all the way to near the bottom of the car...it had sort of that farty sound at hard throttle. I don't see why people get those huge intakes, I can't imagine it helping the performance of the car since the thing is so damn long. Anyhow, the guy seemed to be obsessive compulsive about keeping things in good condition. His entire house, garage, and pavement around his house was clean and primped. It was sorta surreal in a way. He also had a go-kart and a late 80's accord which is the car he actually commutes in. The Accord was spotless, and go-cart didn't have a speck of dirt on it and the tires were wrapped in plastic for "safe keeping". The car had aftermarket sway bars all around it, and coil-overs with a 1 inch lowering on the car. It looked as though the brakes had been modified as well. Overall the car handled excellently, and *did* perform very well. Maybe the CAI and the exhaust do help, but it just seems like those really long ones are *too* long...plus they cause that damn farty sound.
mydc2200
New ITRCA Member

Post by mydc2200 »

same as me, i just bought the car 2 feb 03, the first month i regret buying the car because inside and the muffler to noisy, very hard suspension too, i was thinking to sell the car, put an ad in trading newspaper, internet, about 3 people had try the car. now i'm not selling my R after i tried any other sports car,:)
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Heh...I can't believe what I ended up getting. A white 1997 BMW M3. Not sure if I really like it, yet, but it was a good deal so I took it. I figure if I don't like it I can just sell it, bite the bullet, and get the R. I just noticed I seemed to have a craving for comfort...at least for a while. I think my old cooper took the tolerance out of me for a while...but it'll come back :).

Thanks for your help, guys. I really appreciate it. You fellow are top notch :).
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I really like previous generation M3's - it's an awesome car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
AdamF
New ITRCA Member

Post by AdamF »

Hopefully. At idle there's noticeable vibration, I guess due to the girth of the engine. I'd had it checked by a mech before buying it and it checked out clean so I dunno.

I mean, it's nice and comfy...and fast. Still, though, deep down I consider the R a better car. I think I may end up getting an R after I've had some relaxation with the BMW for a while :). Either that or get an E46 M3...but those suckers are pretty darn pricey so the likelihood of it isn't high :).
InOcULaNcE
New ITRCA Member

Post by InOcULaNcE »

If you buy a GSR because the ITR isnt comfortable enough for you, you will more than likely end up modding the GSR beyond comfortability trying to reach that level of the ITR. I am speaking from experience by the way, my GSR is now sold, and I am looking for a black ITR now. The ITR will be much more comfortable than my modded GSR im sure of it.
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

The only Integra i can fit my head in is an R----> no sunroof=higher headliner.
We were meant to be...
RGoose18
ITRCA Member

Post by RGoose18 »

"Bite the bullet and get the R" ?????? What bullet is there to bite??? Everyone talks about the Type R not being a comfortable car, I think it's the most comfortable out of any vehicle I've owned. Regardless, when you hit the 5600 mark and the B18C5 starts to scream, who gives a shit about squishy seats?
steck121
New ITRCA Member

Post by steck121 »

i thinking about the same thing. gsr or r? if i get the car im thinking i will always regret not getting the r and treating it like anyother car. tough decision.
InOcULaNcE
New ITRCA Member

Post by InOcULaNcE »

steck121 wrote:i thinking about the same thing. gsr or r? if i get the car im thinking i will always regret not getting the r and treating it like anyother car. tough decision.
if you can afford the R, then get it. As far as my experience goes, the only thing i think people would find "uncomfortable" is the high rpm engine scream at highway speeds.....which to any real car enthusiast, is music to the ears.
RGoose18
ITRCA Member

Post by RGoose18 »

but anyone who debates between luxury or performance isn't a true driving enthusiast. You guys deserve a Rustang
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Jeebus ppl, stop debating it the guy decided on an E36 M3 over 2 months ago :lol:
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

Thank you kabob...