OIL? Synthetic or Regular

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

OIL? Synthetic or Regular

Post by Beasty18C5 »

What kind of oils do you guys use?
I was using regular 5W30 then switched to MOBIL Synthetic but I noticed it was burning more of it. Then I asked A Honda Tech at a dealership and told me that it's normal and that it's a common thing on the V-tec engine, also told me I should use regular oil. What are you thoughts on this?

Thanks
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

well

Post by Type R 98 »

when my car revs it drinks like a mofo, i can't afford synthec every time i turn around here its sold 10 $ canadian a pint so i use regular penzoil, it's not the best, but it's what i tried...
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
TypeR00_0371
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR00_0371 »

Mobil 1 Synthetic all the way

.5 quart/ about 1000 mi.

or

1 quart/ 10 track passes in a row

normal
Stop Whining!!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Syn oil gets used like I go thru tissues in the spring.

My R likes to drink Syn oil fast, 1/2 qt for every 1k miles and a whole qt for track I have to add a bottle for every 6 laps if I push the car.

But then I would have no idea how it does with dino oil cause I never used it.

I use Mobil 1- only
swed
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

oil

Post by Jan Niemi »

Syntec in the R, regular Castrol in my Talon (it doesn't deserve Syntec!)
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
Utilitarian
ITRCA Member

Mobil 1

Post by Utilitarian »

I use Mobil 1 in the Prelude and the R. It does drink it, but I can't make myself buy anything else. The guy that I bought the ITR from a few weeks ago told me that Wal Mart carries 5 quart jugs for $17-18 but I'm yet to see it. That would save eight bucks an oil change.
2003 BMW //M3 Carbon Black #78 TIR Class
2003 Lexus IS300 Black Onyx 5MT LSD

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

Castrol Syntec 5w50 every 5000KM and it is .5 litres down at that point.
If it is race season every 3000KM or 2 events, which ever comes first.
A big track weekend will cost a litre of oil. I expect to consume one in Pennsylvania in April.....lol

BTW, during the past winter months I have avoided the V-tec zone.....I know it's hard but with all this snow...........and the engine hardly consumed any oil...........
Kali ItR
New ITRCA Member

syn oil is the shiznit.!!!

Post by Kali ItR »

syn oil is good.!!! if you ever put syn oil on a dip stick and put a lighter at one end the syn oil attracts to the heat.! regular oil tends to run from the heat. and my R loves to drink oil... syn oil cost money but so does speed.=( i use penzoil syn oil 10w-30 all 5.25 qts because of my moroso oil pan( i gets it fo free! haha the perks of workin at a honda dealership)
SoHc my DoHc?
Dave's Garage
Kangbateh
ITRCA Member

Post by Kangbateh »

I heard that the difference between Syn and authentic is that Syn oil's molecules are perfectly linked unlike Natural oil so you don't need to use it unless you live in extremly hot and cold places like Siberia and Parts of Africa. :twisted:
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

I have tried alot of different oils and I think that the Valvoline Dura blend works the best-
cronic
New ITRCA Member

Post by cronic »

Umm, it was suggested to me that I use Motul oil only. It is pure synth. Although it is $70CND / 4 liters (1 gallon). It lasts for at least 20,000km.
Then again I drive like a jackass, always! :twisted:
mydc2200
New ITRCA Member

Post by mydc2200 »

if u dont speed, R wont drink so much oil, like my one, i travelled for 1000 km with 20C temperature without adding any oil. :)
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Re: OIL? Synthetic or Regular

Post by YellowDragon279 »

My R doesn't Drink Oil ??? or if it does I never Notice it. What I use is 25% Lucas engine Treatment and 75% Castrol Syntec 5w30
Lucas costs about 8 dollars and the Syntec is 4.50 a quart The Lucas is safe for all engines and mixes with just about any other OIL. Lucas coats the parts of the Engine just like a Synthetic oil does.

The nice thing about Lucas is that it increases gas Milage and reduces oil consumption. I also use the lucas injector Cleaner and Transmission fluid additive. After taking the advice of a few of you here and adding 3 quarts rather than the 2.3 quarts perscribed I have noticed a Significant Difference.
I Drove My R to Ocean City this past weekend. It's about 150 mile trip each way and I was hitting 80-100 the whole way there. Checked the oil when I got back on Sunday and it's still at the full dot.
I got 28 miles per Gallon on Average little over 300 miles with 11 gallons of Gas.
I usually get about 23 miles per gallon with everyday driving around town.
So I suggest get roy Favorite Motor Oil and add the Lucas in. On Highly worn Engine you can add up to 60% lucas. A friend of mine uses 50/50 lucas and Castrol Syntec Blend. He swears by this stuff and his car is an 89 Accord with 230k miles on the ORIGINAL EQUIPTMENT
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I used to use Mobil 1 5W-30, but burning 2-3 quarts of that per oil change in addtion to the 4.5 you put in gets expensive. I've since switched to Vavoline Max Life. Burns slightly less, but it's much cheaper ;)
Beasty18C5 wrote:What kind of oils do you guys use?
I was using regular 5W30 then switched to MOBIL Synthetic but I noticed it was burning more of it. Then I asked A Honda Tech at a dealership and told me that it's normal and that it's a common thing on the V-tec engine, also told me I should use regular oil. What are you thoughts on this?

Thanks
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

you don't wanna switch back in forth from regular motor oil to Synthetic... once you run a full synthetic oil, you need to always run full synthetic oil from that point forward or you'll have problems...

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

e r i c s 9 9 s i wrote:you don't wanna switch back in forth from regular motor oil to Synthetic... once you run a full synthetic oil, you need to always run full synthetic oil from that point forward or you'll have problems...
That's not true. I've done this on rotaries, turbo piston motors and N/A motors without an issue.

To answer the question, I use Castrol GTX non-synth in my cars now.

If you really want to see how good your oil is doing, send it in for analysis.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis