your opinion?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
mayhem
New ITRCA Member

your opinion?

Post by mayhem »

Whats the best synthetic oil to use ..i got a stock 2000 acura type r
mayhem
New ITRCA Member

Re: your opinion?

Post by mayhem »

sorry i didnt see the the post below....what do u guys think i should be running 5/30 or 10/30,,its only got 30k mi.
gosox2003
New ITRCA Member

Post by gosox2003 »

5w30 mobil 1 synthetic....once synthetic goes in the engine that is all that should be put in for the rest of the cars 'life'
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

I like Castrol Syntec, just cause someone decided to play a practicle joke on my by draining my oil pan and knowing that I had just changed the oil a few months before and coming no where close to 3000 miles. I never thought to check the oil until driving with out any oil in the pan for atleast a week maybe more. I was driving it pretty hard too. (Not my R it was my Civic) any way it wasn't until the car cut off on me one day that I thought to check the ignition and oil etc etc. the Car has about 140kmiles on it so I was surprised as it had never given me a problem.
Anyway, the oil pan was bone dry and smoking. I checked the engine to see if there were any leaks etc etc and there ws nothing. I put 2 quarts of LUCAS Engine treatment and 2 quarts of Castrol Syntec and the problem was fixed. Not one problem from that 140k mile engine.

Funny thing I was told by a well known conspiracy theorist that ALL Synthetic oils were the same. Meaning developed from the same Lab etc etc. LOL I don't think you can go wrong with either to tell you the truth.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

Ouch, what kind of practical joke is that?!

Anyway, for all you ever wanted to know about motor oil, I highly recommend you check out The Oil Drop forums at
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Do some searching, check out the oil analysis section.
Cliff notes would be that most people there feel that Redline, Amsoil and Shaeffers are the best oils out there. Castrol Syntec is one of the most despised!
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

I just run non-synth, if I did run synth, it'd probably be shaeffers.

I'll post my analysis once I get it back. 4500-5000 mile changes on non-synth castrol gtx.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

mayhem wrote:Whats the best synthetic oil to use ..i got a stock 2000 acura type r
My personal opinion: All synthetic is a waste of money.

My personal opinion: If there's no way to talk you out of synthetic, then do not use Mobile One. It burns in ITR.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

I have used Syntec on all of my turbo cars for years, no problems. There is a difference between synthetic and mineral oil. The key is thermal management, keeping the oil from exceeding it's limits of survival in extreme temperatures. Mineral oils like temps below 230F. Synthetics survive in temps up to 270F. For an NA car, it may not be as essential, but in turbo cars, it's very beneficial. Synthetics don't acidify like mineral based, and is less likely to coke on turbo bearings.

Do what you want, believe who you want, do the research and you will have the answer.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

What synthetic do you use yourself, if you don't mind?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

read the 4th word in my post above.

Sorry I can be sarcastic sometimes. :roll:
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Jan Niemi wrote:read the 4th word in my post above.

Sorry I can be sarcastic sometimes. :roll:
I am so sorry. I did not know that was a trade name.

After Ichisima told us it was a waste of money, I never listened to anything about it again.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

"Syntec" is a Castrol brand name synthetic oil. I'm sorry, I thought everyone knew that, my mistake.

Who is ichisma?
H.I.D's
New ITRCA Member

Post by H.I.D's »

Well.. i'd have to disagree, we use mobil in a couple of race cars. For it to burn in the ITR and nothing else, i'd find hard to believe. We would have noticed engine tempertures rising, or even on the engine management systems we have on the cars. Synthetic is a much more cleaner oil than regular crude/motor oil. The oil that im really impressed with is the Motul. We tear re-build motors all the time, and haven't yet found large portions of carbon build-up on the combustion chambers or exhaust manifolds.
-Jon
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Jan Niemi wrote:Who is ichisma?
Tatsuru Ichishima is the founder of Spoon Sports. A great friend to ITR owners ever since the car hit the streets.
Last edited by George Knighton on June 10th, 2003, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

BlackForestMotorsports wrote:Well.. i'd have to disagree, we use mobil in a couple of race cars. For it to burn in the ITR and nothing else, i'd find hard to believe.
What, are you arguing with me?

LOL...

Mobil One is notorious in track ITR for burning and rapid consumption.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Mobil 1 is known to burn in honda DOHC VTEC motors. It doesn't burn in all of them, but it does in a lot of them..
-Dave
RedKroovy
New ITRCA Member

Post by RedKroovy »

Well damn from what I've always read everyone always said use Mobil One. Also i know this was said earlier in the post but can you go back to natural after using synthetic or is that debateable. Also other then redline(and similiar others ) whats good b/c I will never use Castrol again.
98 #0023
You name the vice, I'll name the price.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

George Knighton wrote:
BlackForestMotorsports wrote:Well.. i'd have to disagree, we use mobil in a couple of race cars. For it to burn in the ITR and nothing else, i'd find hard to believe.
What, are you arguing with me?

LOL...

Mobil One is notorious in track ITR for burning and rapid consumption.
I didn't know that until reading a recent thread about Oils... Lots of the people who posted said that They Use Mobil One Synthetic and that it burns alot.
I was surprised to hear that
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I use Amsoil. Did my research and liked it the best. Cost is about the same as Mobil 1 (Which does burn in DOHC Honda motors). Pain to get it since you have to order it or find a dealer.

Trey
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Trey wrote:I use Amsoil. Did my research and liked it the best. Cost is about the same as Mobil 1 (Which does burn in DOHC Honda motors). Pain to get it since you have to order it or find a dealer.

Trey
A friend's a dealer of Amsoil.

I wanna start dealing schaeffers so I can get dat chitf ro cheap :P
-Dave
H.I.D's
New ITRCA Member

Post by H.I.D's »

Heh.. It's funny how we run formula cars with DOHC motors in them, and not once found a burning oil problem. Maybe your car is screwed up or something. We have no complaints for using it. I know a lot of people running Mobil 1 in high-reving, high-horsepower cars, many of those b-series motors, yet no ones complaining. So again.. I'd still have to disagree. Not trying to make a huge argument but maybe it's different in other people's motors.
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

Sorry but I'm one of those that used Mobil and also found out that it burns oil in my R also was told by a Honda dealer that the guys that use mobil on their cars with DOHC VTEC had the same problem so I don't think it's an engine problem
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I had mobil1 burn in a GSR and in a 2000 Type-R. Both enough to have to add oil. Quit using it and the problem went away in the 2000 R. Coincidence? Others have reported this same phenominon.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

BlackForestMotorsports wrote:Heh.. It's funny how we run formula cars with DOHC motors in them, and not once found a burning oil problem. Maybe your car is screwed up or something. We have no complaints for using it. I know a lot of people running Mobil 1 in high-reving, high-horsepower cars, many of those b-series motors, yet no ones complaining. So again.. I'd still have to disagree. Not trying to make a huge argument but maybe it's different in other people's motors.
What does this have to do with stockish B-series motors?

Ok, Let's see if I can be more clear this time.

Some B-Series motors burn Mobil 1, then when the owner switches to another oil, the burning stops. Some owners don't have this problem at all. On the same day, at the same track, a friends ITR will burn 2-3 quarts of Mobil 1. I burn 0 of Castrol GTX. But those are different motors but still shows the Mobil 1 can burn in B-Series motors. Also, D burns far more oil when using Mobil 1 vs Castrol GTX.

Need more clarification or is that good enough for now?

Edit, BTW, The Racer Groups porsche's don't use B-Series motors last I checked, nor do I recall seeing BFM rigs/cars at any races around here, but I could have missed you. See you at the track sometime.
-Dave
H.I.D's
New ITRCA Member

Post by H.I.D's »

I think your thinking of a different BFM theres about 20 different ones, and don't fall under what your talking about, but since you have to clarify everything to the fullest, will end the conversation now.