does lowering your car wear your tires out faster?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
94PSSPRT
New ITRCA Member

does lowering your car wear your tires out faster?

Post by 94PSSPRT »

like the topic says. my friend's dad wont let him lower his car because of this. if it does wear out the tires faster, is it a big difference? thanks.

-phil
'94 Honda Passport
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

It depends on how much lower the car is. It will in crease negative camber, but in moderation Negative camber won't wear tires and does help handling. THe important thing is to get an alignment after lowering the car since this will effect toe as well and toe will wear tires if not adjusted.

So, no lowering the car won't wear tires if properly aligned.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Re: does lowering your car wear your tires out faster?

Post by YellowDragon279 »

Our cars aren't equipted with a camber adjustment from the Factory, but there are kits out there.
Cut and Dry the answer is YES. (Before I get Flamed...) If you just drop your Car 2" then the tires will wear on the inside and it will wear unevenly.

I put 17's on my Civic and Dropped it about 1.75-2.0 Inches
I didn't do an alignment and I didn't use a Camber Kit.
I was using Toyo Proxes Fz4's and they lasted about 3 years (I rotated the Front to the back about every 6 months) I didn't do any burnouts or stuff like that so I imagine had I done the proper Alignment and Camber Adjustment those tires would Still be good.
There are other ways (more expensive) to lower your car with out messing with the camber. this involves using different control arms and or Spindles. This is actually a better way to go so as not to loose suspension travel.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

With proper tire inflation and ~3-3.25" drop, on stiff springs and a proper alignment I had zero abnormal tire wear.

then I stopped caring what pressure the tires were at, and they got down to a little less than 15psi and wore like a mofo. oh well, lesson learned.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
94PSSPRT
New ITRCA Member

Post by 94PSSPRT »

thanks for the replies guys. much appreciated.

-phil
'94 Honda Passport
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Our cars aren't equipted with a camber adjustment from the Factory, but there are kits out there.
Cut and Dry the answer is YES. (Before I get Flamed...) If you just drop your Car 2" then the tires will wear on the inside and it will wear unevenly.

I put 17's on my Civic and Dropped it about 1.75-2.0 Inches
I didn't do an alignment and I didn't use a Camber Kit.
I was using Toyo Proxes Fz4's and they lasted about 3 years (I rotated the Front to the back about every 6 months) I didn't do any burnouts or stuff like that so I imagine had I done the proper Alignment and Camber Adjustment those tires would Still be good.
There are other ways (more expensive) to lower your car with out messing with the camber. this involves using different control arms and or Spindles. This is actually a better way to go so as not to loose suspension travel.
2 Things . . .

1st, Camber will not wear out tires like the internet myth would have you think. -2 degrees of camber is not bad on tires and good for handling. Know what your camber is before you spend money on camber kits.

2nd, WHat in the world are you talking about lowering the car with different spindles and control arms?!? I have not seen or heard of one product like that. Springs are the only way I am aware of and it is possible to lower the car 2" with shocks and springs without losing even 1mm of shock travel.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Trey, a few years ago I do recall a control arm I think that could be used to lower the vehicle, but it was a bad idea so I don't know if that product is still made.

IMO, you need stiffer rates when lowering a car, something that product didn't provide.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Beasty18C5
ITRCA Member

Post by Beasty18C5 »

there was a company called RYANE motor sports I found this in one of my old Turbo Magazine they use to advertise on the last pages http://www.ryanemotorsports.com sorry but i tried going on it and doesn't work
***Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock***
USDM PY 2001 ITR #1111 Turbocharged
CND CW 1997 Type R #255
Daily Driver 1997 Integra RS
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

dawhiteboy wrote:Trey, a few years ago I do recall a control arm I think that could be used to lower the vehicle, but it was a bad idea so I don't know if that product is still made.

IMO, you need stiffer rates when lowering a car, something that product didn't provide.
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Good shocks and springs can get you what you want with not negative effects except ground clearance IMO.
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Post by Wai »

As the car is lowered, you gain negative camber and toe out.

As Trey has already pointed out, camber won't eat tires, but toe would. So tell your friend to lower the car, then set the toe back to zero then he would not have any abnormal tire wear (assuming he's not dropping the car +3".....).
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz