Question about forced induction

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
integ3
New ITRCA Member

Question about forced induction

Post by integ3 »

What would you guys prefer turbo or supercharged
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Topic moved to the forced induction forum.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: Question about forced induction

Post by Erik B »

I couldn't say I prefer because I have need even been in a Supercharged ITR but I could tell you I love my Turbo... :lol:
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

It depends on what kind of power you want. A supercharger provides more low end torque. This is good if you plan on autocross where you are constantly turning and downshifting into lower RPMs. A turbo provides much more peak HP which is better for straight line drag strip acceleration. Turbo lag can be greatly reduced if you use a smaller, quicker spooling turbo, but these smaller turbos don't produce the as much peak horsepower.
98-0658
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

That's an age old question, kind of like do you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream. You will find that turbo people like myself swear that turbos are best, supercharger people will swear that superchargers are best.

There are advantages/disadvantages to each. Do research like reading books, Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is excellent, Pettit, and Kojima are authors you might want to check out too, by doing this research you will find what suits your driving requirements best.

Both are available in carb legal formats, most drag racers use turbos for extreme top-end power, small turbos are great for street-only use.

Superchargers usually offer excellent throttle response and low end torque, which is excellent for street-only use.

All turbos have some lag, the bigger the turbo the more lag, the less backpressure, with small turbos the lag is less but the backpressure is greater - again check out the book I mentioned....good luck.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.