Integra Type R - A good everyday driver?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
integra891
New ITRCA Member

Integra Type R - A good everyday driver?

Post by integra891 »

I plan on buying a car soon and Ive always loved the type R. Most probably I will never track or race my car and I wanted to know if the type R is a good car for everyday driving back and forth from work. I might throw a few mods on there but nothing drastic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
RedKroovy
New ITRCA Member

Re: Integra Type R - A good everyday driver?

Post by RedKroovy »

Yes I daily Drive mine 20 niles round trip and there are no probs but make sure to keep a close eye on her and stay up on maintenence.
98 #0023
You name the vice, I'll name the price.
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

Provided the first owner treated it correctly, you won't have any reliability problems.

I mean...when it comes down to it, it's just a 200 HP Civic. LOL...
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

I'm not sure he meant reliability wise.. it's not as quiet or soft as some other cars.. and none of us can answer that question for you (if you meant comfort, etc)
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
integra891
New ITRCA Member

Post by integra891 »

thanks for the replies. Mainly i just wanted to find out if there was anyone out there that just drove the car as a daily driver and never tracked or autoxed it. do all of you guys at some point or another track the car?
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

If you don't at least occasionally track this car, you're doing yourself an injustice. You don't truly grow to appreciate the virtues of this car until you put it on the track.

98 ITR Daily driver with 78K and counting (60 miles roundtrip commute daily) and still no A/C.
integra891 wrote:thanks for the replies. Mainly i just wanted to find out if there was anyone out there that just drove the car as a daily driver and never tracked or autoxed it. do all of you guys at some point or another track the car?
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
ThisFlyGuy
New ITRCA Member

Post by ThisFlyGuy »

i think it'd be a good daily car.......good investment...
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

It is louder and stiffer than other tegs. Test drive one for yourself before you buy. I bought mine from a guy 300 miles away in North Carolina, but I went to the local dealer and took a test drive in a new one first. I have never had my car on a race track, and I put about 2,500 miles on it every month. I have to do a lot of driving for my job, so I wanted a car that I would enjoy driving. I also needed something very dependable with decent MPG. It has power steering and AC, and is very easy to drive. The stereo takes care of the slightly higher cabin noise, but I actually like to listen to my engine rev.
98-0658
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

I haven't tracked my R Yet. I just got it and I am wroking out the bugs left from the previous owner. But most certainly plan to put her on the track. I drive the car Hard Sometimes when I feel frisky. If you get an R I am sure you will want to take it to the track. Not exactly the most comfortable Car to drive everyday I mean compared the LS the R has a much harsher ride and it is noticably diffent in road noise. Personally I am used to it and I have driven My R From Maryland to NC and Back and without a problem. At first I missed the Cruise Control but that is a thing of the past.

I am not sure if this is specific to my R or is this just an "R thing" But the Fan for the AC /Heat is really Loud especially on 3 and 4...
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
MastrHU
New ITRCA Member

Post by MastrHU »

If you mean daily driver as in comfortable. In town and short distances, it's not bad, but it's not great either. On long trips, it's horrible. But it is a type R, not a Caddi. I do remember my 97 prelude being so much more comfortable. The Type R is a very reliable, tough little car.
98 VR-4/2000 Type R
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

I think it's a great car to use as a daily driver; in addition to all of it's performance qualities it's a reliable Honda - can't do much better than that! I find mine very livable on a daily basis, AND it's really enjoyable to drive, even if not on the track. It's the 'ol drive it to the track, race it, and drive it home kind of car; best of all worlds car for the money on the market.
xanctus
New ITRCA Member

Post by xanctus »

I think driving an ITR as a daily is not bad at all...however, since this crazy theft things going on in our society, driving an ITR for a daily it's kind of YES and NO situation, cause if you're paranoid about getting stolen, then it's not really a good daily car...I dunno just my opinion
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

If you dont like a harsh ride/road noise, affraid of theft or dont plan to track it, then i think a GSR is more suited towards you. Especially if you are just looking for more comfortable transportation.
CW 98 #805
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

The Type R is horrible on long distances (can you say spinal compression?) but for around town and short (less than an hour) highway driving, she's a reliable car. Downsides? Definitely doesn't soak up any bumps, loud as hell, the gearing is too close to keep the gas mileage down and the clutch engagement is too abrupt.

But if you can live with that, as I myself do, she's more fun than a rollercoaster at a theme park :D
Utilitarian
ITRCA Member

Post by Utilitarian »

I think anything else would stink to have as a daily driver! Having one makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning to drive to work. If you are worried about comfort, it's not that big of a deal. Yeah, it's a stiff ride and it's loud, but isn't that what sets it apart from all the cookie-cutter Japanese "performance coupes"? I had a 97 Prelude and the stiff ride accounts for the lack of body roll found in a car like the Prelude. Just make sure you have a nice alarm and plenty of smart ass responses ready for kids who ask you if it's a real one.
2003 BMW //M3 Carbon Black #78 TIR Class
2003 Lexus IS300 Black Onyx 5MT LSD

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Why is it that everybody asks "Is that a real Type R?"

What, the bright effing yellow paint job, 5-lug 15" rims with Acura logos and no side moulding are all part of the thousands of dollars I spent to make an Integra LS look like a Type R? :roll: