Technology Thread

Anything goes? Well, if you keep it clean and aren't obnoxious.
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Re: Technology Thread

Post by Erik95LS »

itrsteez wrote:Do you have to wear gloves for that? Or are they making water cooled kits for them?
belt mounted water cooling would be hot :P
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

I see no temperature difference at 1ghz and 1.4ghz. They are both around 92 degree F. I don't see the point to go beyond 1.4ghz.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Bradstard wrote:I just overclocked my Droid X. I am currently at 1.4ghz with no issues but I have ready of many guys running at 2ghz with no problems. One group also claims to have it running at 3ghz! :O
How much of a performance boost are you seeing? Battery life?
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

I finally loaded a custom ROM on my Droid X today too.
B18CXr
ITRCA Member

Post by B18CXr »

Anybody this "Google Chat" chit???

My new phone has Android and I have zero clue how to use it thus far.
Yack-
2002 Honda Challenge H1 Champion
Neptune, Apexi, AEM EMS certified tuner
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

LOL!!!

You will learn to love Google with an Android phone. :)
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Bradstard wrote:I finally loaded a custom ROM on my Droid X today too.
Thoughts? I need to root mine. The new place doesn't have any internet yet...

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

B18CXr wrote: My new phone has Android
Welcome 2dacrew. 8)
-Eric
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

My co-worker rooted my replacement phone this morning and loaded a custom ROM. :)

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

Looking for biased/unbiased opinions....

MacBook Pro 13"

Why should I buy this vs. a non Apple laptop? What does it have to offer or how is it better for just a normal user?
-Eric
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

CivicBeater wrote:Looking for biased/unbiased opinions....

MacBook Pro 13"

Why should I buy this vs. a non Apple laptop? What does it have to offer or how is it better for just a normal user?
Battery life is what sold me. From the Vaio that couldn't get an hour off a charge just 2 months after I bought it. I've had the MBP for 10 months and it gets 5-7 hours off a charge.

For a normal, internet browsing, minor photo/video editing user I think its the best thing out. It takes some getting used to going from a PC notebook, but its well worth the cost knowing I can use this thing for years and it not be out dated.
Last edited by elambz on October 28th, 2010, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
CivicBeater
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by CivicBeater »

elambz wrote:
CivicBeater wrote:Looking for biased/unbiased opinions....

MacBook Pro 13"

Battery life is what sold me. From the Vaio that couldn't get an hour off a charge just 2 months after I bought it. I've had the MBP for 10 months and it gets 5-7 hours off a charge.
That's a great benefit...Tell me more!
-Eric
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Because an Apple computer just works....no BS. The battery life in any new laptop should be good, but my current 17'' MBP is stellar.

I personally would opt for a 15'' model. The current 13'' MBP is just a regular Macbook IMO, but that doesn't mean it's a bad computer. I just wanted the upgraded performance for the photo editing that I never do. I like to know its there for when I get off my rear and get another camera.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
elambz
I love tight jeans y0!

Post by elambz »

I'm really happy with my 13", but I bought it for size alone. I wanted something very small to use for taking with me on trips, school and other things.
2000 FBP ITR #0288
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

So... I thought Mr conley and Mr Brad didn't "need" to root and run a custom ROM? :P

Glad you guys are on the dark side. Now the options are limitless.

BTW, B-rad that new shirt is the SHIT!
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Well my first phone ran like junk, so I'm glad it was warrantied. The second phone ran better but wireless tether is really a need for my work / personal life (no internet at the house yet). I really dig the bare bones OS though. The camera, alarm clock, and other pre-loaded applications are so much better in the custom ROM.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

I used to be VERY against a Mac until I really forced myself to use one and have an open mind. I forced myself to use a Mac at home for two weeks without touching a Windows machine. If I didn't know how to do it on a Mac but could on a Windows machine I forced myself to figure out how to do it on the Mac. By doing this I learned a lot and also learned that Mac OS is actually wonderful. It is MUCH friendlier than a Windows machine and you don't have all the headache that goes with a Windows machine. I make my living based on Windows PC's, Servers, and networks but the writing is on the wall. Mac hardware does cost more but it is designed specifically for the Mac OS and they work PERFECTLY together. If you want a worry free PC that just works, Mac is for you.

I used to tinker at home all the time but I just don't have time for that anymore with three kids. I don't want to spend the little bit of free time I have working on my home computer. I will say that Windows 7 is much better than the others, but it still does not hold a candle to a Mac. If you don't believe me, try one (and I don't mean for 3 minutes in your local Best Buy).

<---- Just ordered my 3rd Mac machine this week and it is the 6th Apple product this year.

Brad (Microsoft Fan Boy with a million Microsoft certifications)
itrsteez
Half way to a cool title.

Post by itrsteez »

I became a mac user 7 years ago because I used to do a lot of video work and there were always horrid compatibility issues, random hardware, windows OS and adobe editing software. So many variables for error, what turned me on most to macs was they know the hardware they put in their systems, they construct their OS to play nicely with such hardware and on top of that they developed the editing software as well (final cut pro)... it was almost a no-brainer.

But like brad, I have to fight with microsoft products on a daily basis and I'm M$ certified this and that. When I get home the last thing I want to do is fidigt, hack, reload or even troubleshoot a computer. I just fire it up and enjoy it.

In 7 years I'm only on my 3rd apple machine, and I've never had a catastrophic failure, never had to load antivirus software, never had to run spyware software and I've never had to reload one for anything outside of boredom. My first machine I sat on the same load of OSX Panther for almost 4 years, which says great things on what a strong and stable OS it is.

As far as the new products shoot for the macbook pro line, the 13's I don't look at as a "pro" machine but they're great machines with excellent battery life. Perhaps my fanboyism has spawned out of control but I look at apples only competitors as other apples in their lineup.
WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

<-- Ubuntu user with Windows 7 and XP (work laptop) :P ...and hackintosh netbook floating around too.

Glad you Android users are finally rooting and getting up to date. I think my G1 was rooted within a couple weeks of owning it, and my current Nexus One was rooted the same night I picked it up. :)
Doespike

Post by Doespike »

Droid X haz been getting annoying lately. Stupid freezing, browser not loading pages, aand it has refused to hang up phone calls a few times. Restart once or twice a day......had to pull the battery once to shut the fugger off..........oh and Andry Birds just disappeared. Fawk........it even downloaded an update after it disappeared.

I've wanted to smash the fugger a few times now .....posting from it now..haha.
-Joe - ITR RegistRar
98-0309...Born 1/22/1998.
ITR Expo!
cheezthis
Stripe = Awesome Gremlin

Post by cheezthis »

You need to root and put a custom/plain version of Android on there. It will get rid of the b.s. that various companies and carriers add to it.
Bradstard
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Bradstard »

The Droid X is much harder to load a custom ROM due to the e-fuse. They just recently came out with the ability to load a custom ROM on the Doid X. I also had rooted mine within days of owning it, mainly for the WiFi Tether.
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Doespike wrote:Droid X haz been getting annoying lately. Stupid freezing, browser not loading pages, aand it has refused to hang up phone calls a few times. Restart once or twice a day......had to pull the battery once to shut the fugger off..........oh and Andry Birds just disappeared. Fawk........it even downloaded an update after it disappeared.

I've wanted to smash the fugger a few times now .....posting from it now..haha.
Joe, Jay is right on the custom ROM. I'v been running one since Wednesday...a world of difference over both my previous rooted setup and the factory 2.2 froyo. Apparently it has gotten easier, but I still wouldn't be able to walk you through it. Shoot me your email and I'l get some steps for you.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
itrsteez

Post by itrsteez »

ballin ass mug I recently got

WTB: Gunmetal USDM ITR Wheels
Erik95LS
Banjo Viking

Post by Erik95LS »

mine is on the way :P

They were apparently given away to Canon photogs at the Vancouver Olympics. Nikkors can suck it! :P
-Erik

"i sneezed and jam came out" - R-Box