EXHAUSTS....

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TYPER_R6
New ITRCA Member

EXHAUSTS....

Post by TYPER_R6 »

which exhausts sounds nice on the TYPE R??????
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: EXHAUSTS....

Post by Dave-ROR »

TYPER_R6 wrote:which exhausts sounds nice on the TYPE R??????
Stock IMO.

Your question to far too subjective. To answer this question, you'll need to go out and find ITRs with various exhausts.. there's no way anyone here can give you any answer that's more "correct" than any other answer and there can be no incorrect answers to such a subjective question.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

What do you mean by "nice"?

IMO unless you are going to modify your engine there is no reason to spend the money for a new exhaust. You can make it louder if you want, but you won't gain much power.
98-0658
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I've never remarked about hearing a B-series exhaust that "sounds nice". Unfortunately all the exhausts for these cars are either quiet or sound like fart cans. Nothing in between IMO.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
TYPER_R6
New ITRCA Member

Post by TYPER_R6 »

oh okay thanks......

cause some exhausts on certain cars when in comes out sounds like crap on ours so i just wanted to see if anyone out there had one that sounds and works nice with the TYPE R cause i know what it sounds on another car will sound different on our car right? i guess the sound i was looking for was like a nice sweet deep sound, not too crazy loud.....
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

I'd just stick with stock until you need something better.
-Dave
ThisFlyGuy
New ITRCA Member

Post by ThisFlyGuy »

how about greddy??
type_r_556
New ITRCA Member

Post by type_r_556 »

man what the heck, some people????? the man just asked what exhaust sounds nice on a type r, and some people just dogg him for asking a simple question, whatever,

typer_r6, first off, hella jealous if you own a R6 along with a type r, hahahaha, lucky you, but as for good exhaust, i've heard greddy's to apex on type r, and they all sound great, some louder than the others, apex will definitely pull you in the louder direction, but if you got a silencer, or the exhaust you buy can be equipped with one, then no probs, sounds nice and quiet when you put the sil. on, and buff and loud with it off, i personally like the apex n1 exhaust, but if you go greddy or tanabe, either greddy evo, or SP, or tanabe racing medallion.
2001 Acura Integra Type R 01-556
Eugene Lee
Bellevue, WA
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

type_r_556 wrote:man what the heck, some people????? the man just asked what exhaust sounds nice on a type r, and some people just dogg him for asking a simple question, whatever,

typer_r6, first off, hella jealous if you own a R6 along with a type r, hahahaha, lucky you, but as for good exhaust, i've heard greddy's to apex on type r, and they all sound great, some louder than the others, apex will definitely pull you in the louder direction, but if you got a silencer, or the exhaust you buy can be equipped with one, then no probs, sounds nice and quiet when you put the sil. on, and buff and loud with it off, i personally like the apex n1 exhaust, but if you go greddy or tanabe, either greddy evo, or SP, or tanabe racing medallion.
You like the Apex N1, and the Apex N1 is the LAST exhaust I would ever put on my car. If I wanted something that annoying, I'd be driving a race car and dumping it right behind the dirver seat.

Like I said, this question is far too subjective. Only you can define what you like, no one else can.
-Dave
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

type_r_556 wrote:man what the heck, some people????? the man just asked what exhaust sounds nice on a type r, and some people just dogg him for asking a simple question, whatever,
You're right (kind of). I still think the question was too subjective, but since I took the time to answer I should have added something informative. So here goes:

1. If you are not going to modify your engine then there is no reason to go over 60mm. This will keep the exhaust quieter (nicer?) and still allow you the maximum power gains.

2. The stock ITR catback has two resonators. Resonators make the system quieter without restricting the flow.

3. If you are removing the stock cat don't replace it with just a test pipe. This will make the exhaust MUCH louder. Instead you can get a high flow cat which won't effect the sound at all. Or you could use another resonator or small glass pack muffler; these will make the exhaust louder, but not as bad as just a test pipe.

4. The stock ITR muffler is huge and chambered. This makes it quieter, but straight through mufflers flow much better. This is a trade off that depends on what you want from your car. There are also "twin loop" type exhausts that are quieter, but do not flow as well.

If you are going to spend the money on a new exhaust, then you might as well get some upgraded performance (better flow rate). So I would say get a 60mm catback system with dual resonators and a straight-through muffler. Then get a high-flow cat, or else have the muffler shop make a test pipe from a small glasspack muffler or resonator.

And finally don't fall for the silencer trick. What's the point of getting a free flowing exhaust if you're going to drive around with it plugged up. I could only see doing that if you took your car to the track regularly. Then you could have a full out race exhaust and plug it up when you were on the streets.
98-0658
type_r_556
New ITRCA Member

Post by type_r_556 »

dawhiteboy wrote:
You like the Apex N1, and the Apex N1 is the LAST exhaust I would ever put on my car. If I wanted something that annoying, I'd be driving a race car and dumping it right behind the dirver seat.

Like I said, this question is far too subjective. Only you can define what you like, no one else can.

yes i like the N1, and as for the question being subjective, ah well, your right only "you" can define what you like, but at the same time people come to conclusions by deciding their own decision amongst opionions by others. So by typer_r6 asking a simple question, he can broaden his knowledge of what his options are and make his own decision, no need to dogg him, that's all i'm saying, i don't like negative feedback, so i'm just trying to look out for others, i'm not trying to offend anyone, sorry if i did.
2001 Acura Integra Type R 01-556
Eugene Lee
Bellevue, WA
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

type_r_556 wrote:yes i like the N1, and as for the question being subjective, ah well, your right only "you" can define what you like, but at the same time people come to conclusions by deciding their own decision amongst opionions by others. So by typer_r6 asking a simple question, he can broaden his knowledge of what his options are and make his own decision, no need to dogg him, that's all i'm saying, i don't like negative feedback, so i'm just trying to look out for others, i'm not trying to offend anyone, sorry if i did.
Who dogged him anyways? quote me an example of this dogging.
-Dave
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

Wow, a little scuffle on ITRCA. Haven't seen much of that at all. :P

Anyhoo, I must disagree with you mr. fred toast.

I interchange my test pipe and cat often, and the change in volume is ... non existent, zero, none, nothing. I do have a fujitsubo rm-01a, which is neither loud nor quiet (just right in my book, mellow yet agressive?). I noticed a) no change in tq/hp on the dyno between the two (only change between runs on same day) and b) no change in volume.

The ONLY difference I have noticed is a slight different sound when VTEC engages. The change in exhaust sound seems to be more pronounced when the test pipe is on, but as soon as I'm past the engagement point, the sounds are almost identical.

Now, I understand that other exhausts may behave differently. My experience is that a test pipe is only good if you run on the track and don't want to put extra strain on your cat. Then again, tuning AND running a cat will help to prolong the life of your cat tremendously.

Anyhooo... exhausts.

I, like dave, would NEVER put an N1 by apex'i on my car, ever. I hate it. It's obnoxious, the kind of obnoxious exhaust that is well suited for a track car. :P I do not like any exhaust that 'buzzes' or is simply loud all the time.

I have driven a mildly built GSR (skunk2 stage 1's), oem jdm 4-1 header, t1r bpipe and spoon N1 axleback, and I will say that I liked the sound alot, much like my fujitsubo from what i could tell. maybe a tad louder. maybe it was the same volume in the cabin because of the rear seats and the sound deadening that my car doesn't have!

Anyhoo... lots of exhausts, they all sound good to someone. It is all subjective.

AND.... sound clips of exhausts all sound the same IMO. Nothing beats hearing it live, in action, and then driving the same car to see how the sound is different when in the car and out of the car.

Anything is better than open header. Even the buddy club spec II and III. :P
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

Chris N wrote:I interchange my test pipe and cat often, and the change in volume is ... non existent, zero, none, nothing. I do have a fujitsubo rm-01a, which is neither loud nor quiet (just right in my book, mellow yet agressive?). I noticed a) no change in tq/hp on the dyno between the two (only change between runs on same day) and b) no change in volume.
I've heard this before, but when I look inside a cat I can't believe that it wouldn't effect the flow. Of course I've never used a highflow cat or compared them on a dyno, so my opinion doesn't mean that much. The main reason that I didn't get a high flow cat was the cost. They are very expensive, and don't last very long. So I replaced mine with a small glasspack ($25 plus labor to weld on flanges). Luckily no emissions tests here in Tennessee. My stock cat was all f***ed up. I had been running very rich (and boosted) for 30K miles. I was already getting code 67 when I had it replaced.
98-0658
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Post by YellowDragon279 »

I personally like the sound of the MUGEN Twin Loop. It Nice and Deep.

I didn't feel that anyone was Dogging the person who started the thread. Not at all. What was said is absolutely TRUE!! I like Low and Deep Tones, while the other person likes loud and open tones, Some like the High Buzzing of the N1

One comment that caught my attention was about the Spoon N1. Is this exhaust really not so annoying? I like a deep tone but my Stock exhaust is kinda quiet for me. I mean She howls when you step on it and it sounds nice but it's kinda quiet for me comming from a Civic with a Dunk exhaust.
The Mugen Twin Loop has a Straight through design but with a feed back loop to preserve the torque usually lost with a high flowing Straight through design.
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

I love my Mugen TwinLoop. It has a nice deep sound, but just barely louder than stock. In fact, it is almost TOO quiet for my taste. Chalk me up for another one that doesnt like the N1 sound. About the only other exhaust I would consider is the Fujitsubo like on Chris N's car. I dug it! Like he said, nothing beats hearing them in person, in/out of the car...the Expo was great for that! :)
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
MastrHU
New ITRCA Member

Post by MastrHU »

I have a Thermal, and it actually doesn't sound that bad. I don't think I've heard any four banger and said "wow, nice sounding exhaust". The greddy evolution is probably the nicest sounding exhaust i've heard so far.
98 VR-4/2000 Type R
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

you guys want a noise increase with a stock exhaust just get an ATS Final drive. makes a much bigger performance difference than an exhaust ;)
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

[quote=fredtoast]I've heard this before, but when I look inside a cat I can't believe that it wouldn't effect the flow. Of course I've never used a highflow cat or compared them on a dyno, so my opinion doesn't mean that much. The main reason that I didn't get a high flow cat was the cost. They are very expensive, and don't last very long. So I replaced mine with a small glasspack ($25 plus labor to weld on flanges). Luckily no emissions tests here in Tennessee. My stock cat was all f***ed up. I had been running very rich (and boosted) for 30K miles. I was already getting code 67 when I had it replaced.[/quote]

I must take back a bit of my statements.

At the time I did the dynoing with the hi flow cat and test pipe, I had a JDM DC 4-1 header. No change in power, noise, nothing.

Well....

I put my test pipe back on last night. I had been getting code 67's: One week it would be on, then off the next week. This happened for two months, every saturday it would go on/off! Weird.

Anyways, I now have a toda 4-2-1 and a mugen intake.

Well, um, hrm... my car is MUCH louder ESPECIALLY in vtec now. It screams, growls, snarls. I'm confused. The power is a bit different, I can feel a change, i'm not sure for better or worse, just different.

So. I have no idea what I say about test pipes and cats anylonger.

I refuse to believe that with one header there is no difference, yet with a different header and intake the test pipe would behave so differently.

Me - stumped....
CanadianR
New ITRCA Member

Post by CanadianR »

The sound clip of George Knighton's SMSP header/cat/exhaust combo made me say, wow nice sounding exhaust. My friend also has a custom built exhaust using Magnaflow stuff - no cat and 3 resonators and it soiunds pretty good
Bowdwn
ITRCA Member

Post by Bowdwn »

I, like dave, would NEVER put an N1 by apex'i on my car, ever. I hate it. It's obnoxious, the kind of obnoxious exhaust that is well suited for a track car. :

damm i thought the R was a track car....
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Bowdwn wrote: damm i thought the R was a track car....
The ITR is just a car. It can be used for whatever purpose. For those who track the car only (therefore, a "track car") you can do an exhaust for much less money and dump it after the drivers seat, same as a race car. For those that drive on the street, they are still street cars no?
-Dave
Bowdwn
ITRCA Member

Post by Bowdwn »

to each their own.....i have Apex i N1 on mine and i love it on the street or the track.... i just think of the R as a track car made legal for the street.....