ECU upgrades ...... P28, p72.... OBD1 vs OBD2 ...Help!!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Nick248
New ITRCA Member

ECU upgrades ...... P28, p72.... OBD1 vs OBD2 ...Help!!

Post by Nick248 »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help explain the benefits of swapping out an OBDII w/ an OBDI ecu.

I have a 98 R with the usual I/H/E and pulleys. I also installed a VAFC two years ago and have it set to defaults. I've been told (source not so reliable) that the expected gains from tuning the VAFC would be alot greater if I switched to an ODBI ecu. Also that I should realize greater gains with my combo if i switched to OBDI. Is any of this true?

I plan on doing cams in the distant future or even SC. Not quite sure yet but I'd like to extract as much as I can from what I have installed now.
Would a p28 or p72 benefit me in any way? What about p28's that Kenji sells? Are these static?

TIA
-Nick
--------------------
Nick 1998 TypeR #248
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: ECU upgrades ...... P28, p72.... OBD1 vs OBD2 ...Help!!

Post by Erik B »

Well, if you go p28 you need a hondata.....swapping any ecu just its sellf will not help you, You hear of people running the p28 because it is cheap and has VTEC. If your going N/A I wouldn't swap the ecu maybe just have it reprogrammed. Me I'm running a OBD1 gsr ecu for the following reason. OBD1 gsr had a less aggressive fuel map making the car easier to tune under boost. It gain 20whp through the low rpm band with the GSR. With the OBD2 my car would have made anywhere from 5-10whp above 8g rpm....but I thought about it my car is going to be a street driven car with once in a while drag strip use. I thought it would be more beneficial to have that low end power where our cars need it the must then the extra up top. It's just what I wanted. So for N/A use I would chip your stock ECU and say money on the harness and ECU...
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com