Intermittant starting prob and code for cat efficiency

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Intermittant starting prob and code for cat efficiency

Post by allenzx »

My son's 2000 ITR cranks but fails to start about 1 of 4 times, more so if cold or wet. When it fails to start there is a heavy gas/exhaust smell. The only code I can read is for catalytic converter efficiency. I do not know if they are related. Any tips on troubleshooting this issue? Not much experience with working on Integra, usually puttering with my Z car. Also, any recommendations for shops in the central Jersey area, just in case it comes to that?
coolhandluke
401R

Re: Intermittant starting prob and code for cat efficiency

Post by coolhandluke »

Check out:

-Battery
-Main relay
-Possibly replacing the cat.
WTB: ODB1 VTEC Distributor!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
http://www.itrca.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12472
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

Thanks-battery tests fine and engine cranks normally. Which is the "main" relay? Any leads on a direct fit aftermarket cat for the ITR?
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

How many volts is the battery saying?

The main relay is located under the driverside dash. It controls starting, ignition, and fuel pump functions. When you turn the key you should hear the main relay "clicking". If this piece isn't working properly it can affect whether or not the fuel pump is priming, the car is actually cranking, or if the car will start. The OEM Honda unit is about $83 IIRC. A third party unit (not recommended for long-term...trust me) is about $40 from Autozone. It may be worth buying one at Autozone to test, since they are easy to swap, and if it works...you found the problem. If it doesn't, you can return the piece. I highly recommend an OEM unit over an autoparts store unit. I had a bad experience with an auto parts unit.

An OEM cat will cost around $500 from the dealer. A third party solution from SMSP, Carsound, etc., all offer bolt-in solutions. I have heard mixed reviews from Car Sound in terms of durability. A quality cat from SMSP would be pricey, but like an OEM unit, you can count on it's quality and durability. Another option would be to check out a local exhaust shop BUT, I would stress the importance of the exhaust shop make a bolt-in unit. It will be more expensive, but the last thing you want is a welded in piece.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
TurboCup87
New ITRCA Member

Post by TurboCup87 »

plugged cat will cause difficult starting and even make the car lose power and eventually not want to start. Let us know what you find.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

coolhandluke wrote:How many volts is the battery saying?

The main relay is located under the driverside dash. It controls starting, ignition, and fuel pump functions. When you turn the key you should hear the main relay "clicking". If this piece isn't working properly it can affect whether or not the fuel pump is priming, the car is actually cranking, or if the car will start. The OEM Honda unit is about $83 IIRC. A third party unit (not recommended for long-term...trust me) is about $40 from Autozone. It may be worth buying one at Autozone to test, since they are easy to swap, and if it works...you found the problem. If it doesn't, you can return the piece. I highly recommend an OEM unit over an autoparts store unit. I had a bad experience with an auto parts unit.
Do NOT tell them you installed it. Most, if not all electronic parts are not returnable after installation (for obvious reasons)

So if you end up going that route, AND it solves your problem take it back and advise it was the wrong one and didn't fit.
http://www.picperformance.com

PIC Performance and Amsoil authorized distributor.
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

Thanks for the advice. I will get the car tomorrow and start looking at those issues.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

coolhandluke wrote:Check out:

-Battery
-Main relay
-Possibly replacing the cat.
Main Relay is unlikely because of the fuel smell, it seems like it's pumping gas, so the main relay should be fine.

Clogged cat can be a problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a high flow or test pipe on the car. As we all know CEL 65 is pretty much meaningless. Both of my DC2s have that code :P
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
coolhandluke
401R

Post by coolhandluke »

Good call, I read over the fuel smell. It may be time to check for spark and go from there.

2011 ITR Expo Calendar
allenzx
New ITRCA Member

Post by allenzx »

The starting problem is only if the engine is cold for a few hours. When there is a starting failure, retrying in 10-15 minutes will usually work fine, and once it starts it is rough for a couple of minutes as the fuel smell clears, then runs fine. Warm starts seem not to be a problem. I hope to get to look at it by the weekend. Just looking for where to start. Thanks.