Type R love from VW owners

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
integra891
New ITRCA Member

Type R love from VW owners

Post by integra891 »

Currently I am a VW Jetta 2.0 owner trying to figure out if I want to stick with VW and get a Jetta GLi or find a used Type R. I posed this question on vwvortex forum and I was surprised to find out that soo many VW owners respect the Type R. Check it out for yourselves at:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=904600
As for me, I am going to seriously try to find myself a Type R but if I cant, then I will have to settle for either a new (if the price is right) or used Jetta GLi. Thanks for all the help guys and I hope I will become a regular on this forum.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Re: Type R love from VW owners

Post by sscguy »

Having owned a GTI 2.0 and driven a new Jetta 1.8t a few times, there's no way I'm ever going back to VWs. Now I have an R, and there's simply too huge of a difference for me to even consider them. It depends what you're looking for though. If you want track/autox performance with some street compromise, go with the R. If you want a drag racer (debatable, I won't go there) I think the VWs have more potential (though not the 2.0 liters), and could be cheaper, depending on how you do it. If you want a comfy cruising car, DEFINITELY get a VW. The R is loud and stiff, the VW is exactly the opposite, soft and quiet.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

not all VW people are morons. Some are "it's not a VW, it sucks" but there's more than a fair share of honda and ITR owners that are like that as well.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

not all VW people are morons. Some are "it's not a VW, it sucks" but there's more than a fair share of honda and ITR owners that are like that as well.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

dawhiteboy, you having problems with the forums timing out on ya?

Man, it's a tough call nowadays with so much competition out there. Truthfully, if I were buying a car right now, it'd be the 20th-anniversary VW GTI over the ITR but nothing else. Certainly not a Jetta of any sort ;)
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Kabob, go out and test drive a 20th Anniversary. Depending on what you're looking for in a car, you might find it there. It's not as track-capable as the R, but it is quieter and more comfortable. And it looks damn good too.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I owned 5 VW's before the R and enjoyed them, but after the R, I'm not going back. Reliability is one major reason, just didn't like all the repairs associated with the cars. They really $100 you to death after they're a few years old. Although, they're fun to drive and have more personality than all Honda's (including the R), they just aren't quite as connected feeling from a driver's perspective.

The MKV golfs are supposed to handle better, but we'll have to wait and see. Maybe if the quality improves on the VW's, I'll go back, but right now I don't have any plans to buy a VW ever again.
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
cronic
New ITRCA Member

Post by cronic »

While VW have amazing suspension & handling, I personaly prefer the Hondas. The reliablity is a huge reason; you can go out and beat your Honda but a VW will never take that abuse. Then again the only Hondas I would vouch for are those made in Japan!
You have to decide what your bottom objective is. Modifications are easier to come by on a Honda but then again it is not the kind of car you want to take to the cottage or leave unattended.
Anyway good luck and keep us posted on your decision. :wink:
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

sscguy wrote:Kabob, go out and test drive a 20th Anniversary. Depending on what you're looking for in a car, you might find it there. It's not as track-capable as the R, but it is quieter and more comfortable. And it looks damn good too.
I'll be man enough to admit that I'm afraid to do just that :oops: I've had my R for only a year and if I decide I like the 20th Annie overmuch, I might try for broke to get one and that would be imprudent at best on my part ;)
reiner383
New ITRCA Member

Post by reiner383 »

Owning an 01 Type R and an 01 GTI 1.8t myself, I can officially say that although the VW can be fun to drive, I will NEVER buy one again. Yes it has endless potential that I have only begun to tap into, but the R is sooo much more reliable. To date I have taken the car back to the dealership a total of 17 times to have something fixed. Thankfully it was only for things like the window falling in the door. The R on the other hand has never had any kind of problem what so ever and it gets driven a lot harder. I love my cars but I will forever choose honda over vw.
integra891
New ITRCA Member

Post by integra891 »

Yeah, VW has a lot of reliability issues and Hondas do last practically forever. But it is give and take. The VW fit and finish is quite nice and that is something I like a lot but I love the rawness and all out performance of the Type R. In the end I think the R will be better for me. All I need to do is find one now! Anyone selling theres? :wink: