Turbo, what do I need?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
BLKITR
New ITRCA Member

Turbo, what do I need?

Post by BLKITR »

Okay, I am getting closer to making a decision on whether to go FI on my R or not. I still have a couple of questions regarding turbocharging my R.

1. If I go with a hondata ECU, do I still need a boost controller? If so, what exactly does a boost controller do. I am under the impression that a boost controller retards timing as needed. With a hondata (with boost option), it does this for you, correct?

2. Do I need to tap into the oil pan to get oil to the turbo? Is this the common method to get oil to the turbo? Are there other ways?

3. Where can I find information on exactly what I need if I want to put together my own components list? I don't want to start assembling the kit and realize I am missing something.

4. Is there anything else that I shoud look out for when going FI?

I am going to get that book "maximum Boost" by Corky Bell (thanks for the advise on that one, Jan). I still have done a lot more of research left to do. Any additional advise would be appreciated.
2000 ITR #413 Black
AEM CAI \ DC 4-1 header
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: Turbo, what do I need?

Post by Jan Niemi »

BLKITR wrote:Okay, I am getting closer to making a decision on whether to go FI on my R or not. I still have a couple of questions regarding turbocharging my R.

1. If I go with a hondata ECU, do I still need a boost controller? If so, what exactly does a boost controller do. I am under the impression that a boost controller retards timing as needed. With a hondata (with boost option), it does this for you, correct?

2. Do I need to tap into the oil pan to get oil to the turbo? Is this the common method to get oil to the turbo? Are there other ways?

3. Where can I find information on exactly what I need if I want to put together my own components list? I don't want to start assembling the kit and realize I am missing something.

4. Is there anything else that I shoud look out for when going FI?

I am going to get that book "maximum Boost" by Corky Bell (thanks for the advise on that one, Jan). I still have done a lot more of research left to do. Any additional advise would be appreciated.
1.) The Hondata has nothing to do with your choice of boost controller, and you will use the Hondata to control timing - not the boost controller. Personally I don't use a boost controller.
2.) You need to tap into the pan to drain the oil from the turbo, to get oil to the turbo, you need to tee off of the oil pressure switch. (Z10 engineering sells the BPT fittings) I bought a Moroso sheetmetal oil pan for the added capacity and it already has ports for turbo oil drain.
3.)Look at a good kit and copy the materials list. Just don't get suckered into buying someone's "I think it will fit" turbo. Buy a new turbo.
4.)Be conservative with the boost level, I've heard of stock Rs running 11psi, personally I did that once and scared the hell out of myself (the ecu went into limp mode with a bang) luckily I didn't hurt the motor. Now it's two and a half years later and she's still purring like a kitten getting 30mpg. Erik has a beautiful setup, and is making great power at 5psi. I have never dynoed but ran a 12.7 with many 12.8s to back it up, so the power level is up there.

Corky has good information, he is very old-school but knows his turbochargers. Get a Turbonetics catalog, or equivalent if you are going to try to size your own turbo, I just let the pros there do it, and I am happy with the set up. The only major thing that I'm missing is the Hondata, and I strongly recommend investing in that, you will be much happier with your boosted R if you do.

Good luck, pm me if there's anything I can help you with.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.