Auto Insurance for your Type R

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Auto Insurance for your Type R

Post by YellowDragon279 »

I recently Purchased my 2001 PY ITR and I was quiet surprised at the rates on this thing.

I have a sister that purchased a 2000 3dr LS about a month before I did and her car was rate as a #16 or something like that. From what I understand there is a Scale and 26 is the highest rating. I think a GSR is listed as 18.
Knowing what I know about the GSR and R I expected it to be higher rating but when my insurance company said it was a 24 I was floored.
I got as many discounts as I could including Keeping my Civic for that multi car discount.
BTW my insurance company was USAA. One of the cheapest insurance companies you can find. Also they have a good rep when it comes to accident claims, but no so good on "Partial Theft claims"(ie Car gets broken into and they just take the stereo system.) Anyway....
As a 30 year Old Man with a Wife and Child and a Homeowner I am looking at my next big discount when I turn 65 or something.
Well I said this to mention that I found out that GEICO has some significant Discounts available. I was able to raise my coverages from the State Min to the next level and since geico has a different system I got a 1/2 of point for an HOV violation in VA, but I am still saving over 100 dollars every 6 Months. Not only that... Since I frequently travel to Japan for Months at a time. I can place my car on Storage Status and I will be reinbursed 70% of the comp and Collision Coverages upon my return.
If you are a member of Navy Federal Credit Union, College Grad then check into this. Not to mention Geico handels Claims 24/7. There are many other discount programs that you may qualify for, but those are just the ones I have.

Good Luck
The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
fastcar
New ITRCA Member

Re: Auto Insurance for your Type R

Post by fastcar »

I work for State Farm and my IRG just went up to a 25 last month. Went up another 45 bux every 6 months. Be expecting a small increase
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

Well that sucks
hondafanatic
New ITRCA Member

Post by hondafanatic »

I am a 23 year old male with a clean record and I am currently paying 175 per month to insure mine.
sscguy
ITRCA Member

Post by sscguy »

Perfect record, 21 years old, about $2300 a year, whatever that works out to.
A bunch of days left 'till Expo '05!
macer
New ITRCA Member

Post by macer »

Count your Self’s lucky Guys, I live in Ireland and you just cant get Insurance in Type Rs, there are only Two companies that will do it in the whole of the Country, and at that they will only insure you on a per person basis, I was lucky and got a quote for €3800 and im 29 but friends of some of which are older and have just a good driving record as me cant get insured, and they don’t give you a reason why.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

If you thinks thats exspensive try to insure a ITR in Brooklyn...

Rather painfull.
swed
PUNKITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by PUNKITR »

State Farm customer in PA, pay a little less than $800 a year, 0 ded comp, 250 collision, and limited tort....

I'm 28, own a house and use the R as my daily driver, listed as "over 100 miles a week" for my policy....
Thanks, Matt
2004 wrx
WTypeRogerX
New ITRCA Member

Post by WTypeRogerX »

Zodiac R279 wrote:Since I frequently travel to Japan for Months at a time. I can place my car on Storage Status and I will be reinbursed 70% of the comp and Collision Coverages upon my return.
Do you have to be physically away to put it on storage status? And minimally how long? During the winter, mine may sit for months without driving, and I was wondering if I could save by putting it on storage status.

PUNKITR, I am 35, accident free and 0 points, keep mine garaged in my house, 2nd car pleasure-only status, $500 comp & collision, and it's still over a grand a year! My daily driven '02 WRX costs about $10 less to insure with same coverage as the '00 ITR!
Last edited by WTypeRogerX on July 29th, 2003, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PUNKITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by PUNKITR »

I don't know what to tell you man, it's not like I'm making it up, I checked my last bill and it was $411 for 6 months, So it's $822 a year and that is listed as a daily driver with over 100 miles driven per week, with $250 ded on collision and a $0 ded on comprehensive.

I guess it all depends on where you live and how nice your insurance agent is :lol: I love my State Farm agent. My family has always had State Farm through the same agent/office branch going way back into at least the 1970's I believe, maybe that is why I get such a good rate, I have always had better rates than all of my friends, I urge evryone to shop for insurance rates aggresively, I saved a young woman in our office $450 a year by telling her Erie was overcharging her and to shop the price, she landed a far better policy with State Farm.....
Thanks, Matt
2004 wrx
TypeR 801
ITRCA Member

Post by TypeR 801 »

I think the old real estate saying about three things being important applies here: Location, location, location.

Most of the more ridiculous insurance rates come from ITR's in high theft areas. Even when I had double digit amounts of points on my license I still had insurance of only $1200/year. In SoCal or NYC it probably would have been 4x as much. Now I'm in the $550/year range. The people like myself with low insurance amounts live in places where ITR's aren't coveted much and generally theft isn't a big issue. My ITR is rather innocuous in fact, it rarely garnishes any attention. Only every once in a while does someone notice it, usually some young kids or a salesperson from a Honda or Acura dealership. Otherwise it's just another ricey Honda with a hoop spoiler to the people in my area ;)
PUNKITR wrote:I don't know what to tell you man, it's not like I'm making it up, I checked my last bill and it was $411 for 6 months, So it's $822 a year and that is listed as a daily driver with over 100 miles driven per week, with $250 ded on collision and a $0 ded on comprehensive.

I guess it all depends on where you live and how nice your insurance agent is :lol: I love my State Farm agent. My family has always had State Farm through the same agent/office branch going way back into at least the 1970's I believe, maybe that is why I get such a good rate, I have always had better rates than all of my friends, I urge evryone to shop for insurance rates aggresively, I saved a young woman in our office $450 a year by telling her Erie was overcharging her and to shop the price, she landed a far better policy with State Farm.....
Jeff Brown
98 ITR #801
macer
New ITRCA Member

Post by macer »

macer wrote:Count your Self’s lucky Guys, I live in Ireland and you just cant get Insurance in Type Rs, there are only Two companies that will do it in the whole of the Country, and at that they will only insure you on a per person basis, I was lucky and got a quote for €3800 and im 29 but friends of some of which are older and have just a good driving record as me cant get insured, and they don’t give you a reason why.
Well I have to eat my own words, I got Insured for €2300 for my Type R. It works out about the same in $, The Euro and the Dollor are more or less the same at the moment
YellowDragon279
ITRCA Member

GEICO wants you to check your car into a storage (NEW RULE) well it depends on some states in MD they just changed that it had to be PHYSICALLY STORED IN A LOCKED facility. SUXX!!!!

But there are other things you can go while your car is in Storage and that is remove the COLLISION coverage. This is only good if you are driving and ru into someone. If you are not driving your car then there is no need for it.
steck121
New ITRCA Member

Post by steck121 »

i am 16 with a clean slate, i was checking different online insurance companies and they said it would be about 2400 a year. if this is the case itll be a couple for years before i can afford the itr. does anyone know about if this price in true?
hondafanatic
New ITRCA Member

Post by hondafanatic »

2400 a year sounds reasonable.

I pay 195 a month and I am 23, male, clean record, in the midwest.
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2k587 »

Male, 20 yo, shitty record, NY, $1100/year
cronic
New ITRCA Member

Post by cronic »

WOW! Insurance is cheap in the states!!! :shock:
Mine is way higher than that and I get discounts all over the place. Guys here age 23 pay like $4,000 CDN/ year for their cars. OUCH! :x
My last car I paid more per year for insurance than I paid for the car itself. Does that make sense??? :?

So anyone down there want to insure my car in their name? :lol:
Dupes
ITRCA Member

Post by Dupes »

I pay 1500$/yr on my 00R here in Canada, im 25 and a clean record.
Trojan
New ITRCA Member

Post by Trojan »

all depends on where you live, where im at in philadelphia, PA, USA insurance is so high because 10% of the city does not own car insurance, that number has dropped within the years though.
ITR19
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR19 »

I just got a quote on my '97 from GEICO at $540 for 6 months. Atlanta area. 33 years old & married, clean driving record.
1997 Honda Integra Type R #00019
Championship White (duh)

Please don't call it an Acura.
Dupes
ITRCA Member

Post by Dupes »

Dupes wrote:I pay 1500$/yr on my 00R here in Canada, im 25 and a clean record.
Just renew, and now paying 1000$ a year, fully insured! :)
xmrcivicsix
New ITRCA Member

Post by xmrcivicsix »

my 98 Type R was only 76 dollars more a year than my 99 Si was.
I was pleasantly suprised by this quote....
98-1126 Type R
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

mine was 336/mo...and now its only 168/mo. for some unknown reason :? :D im very happy now. BTW im with Progressive
'98 Integra Type R #363
1badR
New ITRCA Member

Post by 1badR »

i am 19, i have to put my car in my dads name and store it at my parents house. I pay him what he would pay so its cool but if it was in my name it would be....sit down...5700$ every SIX mouths.
01 NBP R
04 Dodge Hemi RAM (winter)
98DC2-ITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98DC2-ITR »

I have a 98 ITR and a 97 CD7 2dr SE RED accord. I am 24 yrs old with 2 license point(no insurance points :D ) and an otherwise clean driving record. No previous accidents(Knocks on wood). I have full coverage on both $250 ded on collision and $0 ded on comprehensive. My insurance for both is $685 every six months... so i guess that is like $114.17/month.. I guess that living in NC does have some advantages....
98 ITR ? # I need help finding out my number...
97 CD7 Accord
96 DB8 'Teg SOLD
92 CX B16B swap....

Yeah I work at Import Auto Salvage... yO!