Double Clutching

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Double Clutching

Post by pUrExTc »

I just learned how to double clutch last night. I must say, it does feel like you're going faster. But I came to think, would my RPM be there if I'm not double clutching, or does double clutching really make you faster? It certainly feels faster, and sounds pretty cool. what permanent damage can be done though? I'm guessing it's all stuff involving your gears, flywheel, etc. My other friend with his Civic does it all the time, and says nothings wrong with his car...and he's been running it hard for about 3 years (everywhere he goes, yes, he is the definition of Rice-Boy).
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Dude...how are you double clutching? It does not make your car go faster.

Double clutching is
1. Clutch in
2. shift to neutral
3. clutch out
4. rev-match
5. clutch in
6. shift

All it does is do the work that your synchros are doing. It makes shifting smoother but at the same time slower and practically worthless unless you have a car without synchros or they are busted.

Keep the F&F stuff in the movie where it belongs.
joe s
ITRCA Member

Post by joe s »

From what I gather, double-clutching is not as necessary with today's modern gearboxes as it was when synchros weren't a given. It definitely takes more time so really couldn't be faster. I do a 'lazy man's' double clutch ie downshift into the next gear and blip the throttle before letting the clutch out. This matches revs as well as putting less strain on the gearbox. Sounds cool, too
bbqman
Canadian Director

Shifting

Post by bbqman »

Double clutching in todays cars is real rice boy stuff. Only good for posing and really not required.

However, heel and toe down-shifting is imperative for good , sound performance driving. It is a must for racing!

Practice it on the street, apply it on the track.

Nuff said.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

OK...so can someone please tell me what i learned then (obviously it's not double-clutching...it's just termed that way among some of my friends). Here's what I was taught to do, and yes, it does make a bit of a difference.

1. press your clutch in and let it out while racing (already in gear). holding the gas in the entire time.
2. this can be done before vtec (recommended to me at 3000 RPM), and/or after VTEC (recommended to me at 7500 RPM).

Is this an actual technique? or what is this? try it...it works. if you're afraid to do it in your itr, try it in one of your POS rides...like one of your buddies cars or something.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

This is like launching but while moving. Pretty dumb if you ask me...not a racing technique I know of... :roll:
bbqman
Canadian Director

Fanning the clutch

Post by bbqman »

This is absolutely a last chance technique used when all else goes wrong.

If you screw up an entry to a corner, then realize you are in the wrong gear, a last resort technique to build rpm's so that you don't have to down shift mid-corner, would be 'fanning the clutch'.
This sucks because it's kills the pressure plate etc etc etc.

Don't try this at home kids!!!
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

so the correct term for this is "fanning the clutch" then?
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
ITR#231
New ITRCA Member

Re: Shifting

Post by ITR#231 »

bbqman wrote:Double clutching in todays cars is real rice boy stuff. Only good for posing and really not required.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I double clutch nearly every downshift unless I'm going as far as 4-3-2 where there simply isn't time if the brakes are working properly. Syncros or not, matching the RPM in neutral is much smoother for me and I'm much less likley to upset the car. One less thing to think about as you enter the corner. The only time I won't double clutch is for an ugly 2-1 shift while autocrossing, mainly because the car is going to be upset a little anyway. Fortunately, I haven't ever had to do that on the track.
ITRCA SouthWest Director
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

Is it posible you might be mistaking double-clutching for 'heel and toe'.

Like you described and I agree, to properly set yourself up to exit a corner, racing or other, matching the engine speed with the tranny is a must.
If it is done under braking, the method you are using is called heel and toe. You are blipping the throttle to match rpm's so that there is a seemless transition between gears.
Double clutching is for trucks and vehicules with no synchros, who have a hard time finding the next gear and engaging it smoothly.
This method is a big waste of time for racing and is not used with current cars.
ITR#231
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR#231 »

bbqman wrote: This method is a big waste of time for racing and is not used with current cars.
Nope, I'm talking about double clutching. I take it for granted that most people heel-toe downshift when racing unless they have a different/similar technique to accomplish the same thing. So that we're all on the same page, here's what I'm talking about in detail:

-pick your line for turn-in and brake

-depress the clutch and shift from third to neutral

-release the clutch

-roll braking foot over gas to blip the throttle (sometimes I'll actually use my heel while threshold braking since my foot is well past the level of the gas, otherwise it's the side of the foot I'm using)

-depress the clutch

-shift from neutral to second

-release the clutch

-continue braking

-turn-in might happen now or during the downshift, depending on the situation

-foot on the gas to power through the apex to track-out

-repeat :)

The idea that it's too time consuming is, IMHO, unfounded. I find that I have PLENTY of time to all of this and more for most braking situations (again, we're talking about road race speeds, not autocross, and certainly not street. Hell, the tow vehicle is automatic anyway). The press-release-press-release motion of the clutch is about as fast as you can tap your foot twice, and it's certainly not a full throw. I've done both ways enough to decide that the smooth, consistent blip I get in neutral with the clutch out makes up for the added thump.

Unnecessary? Yes. Do I still prefer it? Yes.
ITRCA SouthWest Director