lightened flywheel

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
alpha q
New ITRCA Member

lightened flywheel

Post by alpha q »

How heavy is a stock ITR flywheel? I am planing to get a lightened flywheel 8 lbs., should I? I am installing a ACT 4 puck clutch and I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. Or should I just stay stock? I am staying all motor.

Help me out guys...
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT............Zensoku Type R
GTKage
New ITRCA Member

Re: lightened flywheel

Post by GTKage »

hi,
you should go with a 10lbs flywheel (jun) the stock itr flywheel is 14lbs, as for the clutch it depends what do u plan to do with the car....if it s going to be a street car u should go with act heavy duty pressure plate with the street disc, and if u plan on doing both racing and street the xtreme pressure plate with the street disc should do it.....the 4 puck disc is for racing only, it will damage your flywheel rapidly in daily driving
Try to keep up with me
alpha q
New ITRCA Member

Post by alpha q »

I am using my car as a daily driver. I never heard of the flywheel being damaged, if I knew that I wouldn't have purchased the 4 puck. Anyways do you suggest to stick with my stock flywheel or should I get the lightened flywheel.
GTKage
New ITRCA Member

Post by GTKage »

trust me the 4 puck clutch will use up the flywheel and itself much quicker than the regular street disc that ACT offers, call act for yourself and find out. the 4 puck clutch is design to be a on-off clutch , it won t allow any clutch slip, so u better learn how to hill to toe for downshifting...and yes a lighter flywheel will help
Try to keep up with me
Dave.B
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dave.B »

I got an Exedy Racing clutch and 3.5kg flywheel. Revs up really quick and the clutch is safe for 250 brake. Would definately recommend it - no stalling problems either when pulling away.
98 UK ITR 215bhp/140.3lbft
alpha q
New ITRCA Member

Post by alpha q »

If I stick with the stock flywheel do you think that my flywheel will last longer. I bought the clutch already and I can't return it. i guess daily driving is out of the question, then huh?
GTKage
New ITRCA Member

Post by GTKage »

well if u are keeping your stock flywheel make sure to resurface it before putting your new clutch in...as for the 4 puck and daily driving, you are going to have to get use to it, your car will feel very different, just next time get the street disc

good luck
Try to keep up with me
ITR-00-1457
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR-00-1457 »

You can just shave your factory flywheel shaved down to it's maximum run-out. That spec is in the Helm's manual, I don't remember it off the top of my head, but I did it and the flywheel weighed about 12 lbs. It is not as light as an aftermarket one but then again it only costs about $25 at a machine shop, and it it still revs up pretty quickly.
I must be fast because you were flying when I passed you!

-GOT MOTOR?-
alpha q
New ITRCA Member

Post by alpha q »

Do you remember what is the max to shave off the flywheel. I am installing the clutch this weekend. And I will most likely wait for my flywheel to give up before I buy an aftermarket one.