Help!!!!!!

Discuss HPDE, wheel to wheel, autocross, rally, rally-cross, drag racing topics here.
babygtypeR
New ITRCA Member

Help!!!!!!

Post by babygtypeR »

ok guys I went to the Fontana Speedway to run the 1/4 mile and I can honestly say I was very upset. All I have is a short ram intake, dc headers and oversize pistons. I have falken tires in the front and my psi was at 22. Here is my best time :(
r/t .600
60' 2.425
330 6.733
1/8 10.242
mph 70.33
1000 13.260
1/4 15.811
mph 88.39
I was lauching between 3000 and 4000rpm. What suggestions do u guys have? My friend went with me on one of my races and he didn't think it was my driving which made me feel a little bit better. He has a rsx stock and his best time was 15.9. So what's wrong with this picture? Should I get it dyno? There was another type R there and he beat a viper!!!!!! His time was a 12.3 damn everyone stood up and gave him big props. Much respect to this guy. Anyways, please help a fellow friend. Licking my wounds at home..... :cry:
ITR41
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR41 »

launch at a higher RPM and ride the clutch out
98 ITR
14.108@98mph all motor
greddy custom turbo set up from hybridynamics, 450cc injectors, cartech FMU, missing link, AFC, 255lph pump, inline pro head gasket and block gaurd, profec-b.
13.0@109mph-street tires, stock exhaust, stock internals, pump gas, ac, ps
http://www.hybridynamics.com
soon to be GE 83MM sleeved block ready for 25psi and 11's?
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Re: Help!!!!!!

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

practice, practice, practice... you can't expect a great overall run the first few times you go to the track...

With your setup (at least in your post) I'd launch at a higher RPM prolly around 4500-5000. You'll want spinout up to about your 60ft mark... Depending on what actual Falken tire you have, I'd just keep the tire pressure at the normal street driving pressure (32-42psi) because flattening a street radial out isn't going to help you that much, if not worsen your times.. (I've ran my stockers between 15-35psi and I averaged the same 60's launching at the same rpm almost every time.. only thing changed was my MPH got slower as I went flatter. So I'd personally keep the tire pressure normal so your MPH will be higher). However, if you have the Azenis tire, I'd lower that particular tire pressure down to 20-22psi and drop at an even higher RPM (I drop at 5500-6000 on mine.) because those particular tires seem to hook up farely well on the strip. Go AROUND the water pit, and just do a quick chip/spin before you stage to clean the rocks off.

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
Jiggles
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jiggles »

try not to feel so bad...Type R's have a much higher learning curve than say an LS...you can't just rev and dump the clutch on these cars because you'll spin your ass off if you rev too high and if too low when you grab you'll waste precious time building towards VTEC...idealy what you want to do is learn to feather the clutch, and by that i mean rev the car up to about 4500-5000 like everyone has said and instead of just dumping the clutch, let it out slower while modulating your gas to maintain a high RPM level...if done right, when you grab you'll be right at the start of VTEC....then just keep that gas pedal to the floor and power shift the shit out of the car...but don't take too long while feathering...it should pretty much be one fluid motion...if your sitting there spinning for a while off the line messing with the clutch and gas your not doing it right....believe me when i say it's not easy to do right and it's also not the best thing for your clutch, but it'll get you the best times

also, Fontana is wierd about times...some cars run great and some cars really really suck there....i've seen a whole pack of SRT4 Neon's that couldn't break into the 13's, but i've also seen my friend with an H23 Prelude run 15.4 (pretty fuckin good)...i myself have had many a frustrating days/nights at fontana...back when my car was running better, the best i could squeez out during the day in the over 130 degree track temp was a 15.3 (15.1 with my friend driving) and the one night race i've been too (with my bad clutch) i only came out with a 15.4 at 91 mph

my friend (with the prelude) and i may be going this coming saturday (9/13) if you want to see me and him ATTEMPT to break into the 14's
ITR41
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR41 »

when I was all motor I launched at 7600 rpms. don't do that on the stock clutch and without a lot of practice.
98 ITR
14.108@98mph all motor
greddy custom turbo set up from hybridynamics, 450cc injectors, cartech FMU, missing link, AFC, 255lph pump, inline pro head gasket and block gaurd, profec-b.
13.0@109mph-street tires, stock exhaust, stock internals, pump gas, ac, ps
http://www.hybridynamics.com
soon to be GE 83MM sleeved block ready for 25psi and 11's?
babygtypeR
New ITRCA Member

Post by babygtypeR »

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm starting to rebuild my self-esteem, lol. To tell you guys the thruth I even started thinking damn maybe something is seriously wrong with my car and that made me really sad because although I know that there are other cars out there that are much faster I love my R and I wouldn't want to trade it for something else.Oh well like you guys said I'm going to keep practicing. By the way jiggles we do live close to each other and we have met through my best-friend Sylvia at one of the gatherings of outovit. I believe it was when you were leaving for school. Anyways, if you do go racing this weekend let me know if it's a sure thing and I will be there cheering you on. Maybe you can give me some pointers. I really wish I knew more people with Type R's. Thanks guys late. :wink:
Jiggles
New ITRCA Member

Post by Jiggles »

ok, i was wondering if that was you...anyways...me and my friends Richard (you might have met him) with his Prelude, Robert (you also MIGHT have met him) in either his camaro Z28 or his dads Silverado, Jason in his 337 Golf and maybe my friend with GReddy's old project Eclipse....i could use some moral support since 14's have evaded me thus far, but you should bring your car and race again....you can grudge me and use it as motivation to kick my ass and run good