Ripped off by the distributor

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
scott_k
New ITRCA Member

Ripped off by the distributor

Post by scott_k »

I am asking here in the chance that some of the members might be able to guide me in the right direction to dealing with a now defunked distributor. But first my story.

I ordered JIC coilovers from my friends shop about three weeks ago. Turns out, JIC #1 distributor ripped them off by placing a bunch of orders, taking money from small shops (like my friends) and closing up shop without returning product or money. My friend had sent my payment in as a money order from his bank.

Charles at http://www.cj-motorsports.com has already promised me a check for the full amount but what actions can he take to claim his monies back?
Some might wonder why I am asking this question if I am already going to be taken care of. It's because Charles is a dear friend and an honest business man to take care of me like he had promised, so in return, I figure I should do some research to find out how he should go about this.

TIA, Scott K.
98-1183
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: Ripped off by the distributor

Post by Jan Niemi »

There's not much your buddy can do. If the distributor is incorporated, they can only be sued for the corporation's assets, which are probably nonexistent now, if they are (were) privately owned, then you can pursue the individuals, but even if you win the case, you will have to get their assets, which will have to be sold, and then finally you will get your ten cents on the dollar if you are lucky. Personally, I would bite the bullet, and move on, and spend the time being productive and staying positive, rather than trying to pursue these low-life scumbuckets. If your buddy is lucky enough to get their names, it will at least give him the opportunity to inform people about their unprofessional business practices to other possible victims.

Sorry to hear that a good honest business person got taken.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
ohtheguilt
New ITRCA Member

Post by ohtheguilt »

I just ordered JICs also and was told that they would be shipped to me directly from JIC...this worries me now. Do you have any other info about this distributor?

Nathan
scott_k
New ITRCA Member

Post by scott_k »

Last night this was all cleared up. I guess the distributor was out of town setting up an account with Zeal.

And for whatever reason, JIC told my friend false information.

I am suppose to get a set of Zeals in the mail in a few weeks now because the distributor isn't dealing with JIC anymore, calling them the tenzo-r of Japan.

But whatever, time will tell if they ever show up. =/
98-1183
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

I hope you get your goods. Sounds very tipsy.
Wai
New ITRCA Member

Post by Wai »

:shock: :shock:
So the ex-JIC distributor is still legit? No matter what, try to get the money back first. If you want to get Zeal, I'm sure there are many other reputable shops (like IPS, R&D) who can get you that.
GT Motoring
ProFunction
Password:JDM
Custom Lightz
scott_k
New ITRCA Member

Post by scott_k »

Yea, I don't know what to do. Charles has assured me everything will work out. I've been told to wait two more weeks and I'll have a set of b6's.

I'll wait it out, hopeful that all will be well. If not, I'll have to contact my credit union.

I'll keep you all posted.
:?
98-1183