18 degree timing

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

18 degree timing

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

I've been seeing and reading a lot of posts where they are listing how they ran there faster times at the track and one of the things they mention is "18 degree timing" so I was wondering if this really works? Have any of you adjusted your distributor timing (I'm guessing thats what there refering to when they say 18 degrees) to eighteen degrees and noticed improvement? I'm actually going to the track today so I was gonna try this out and see if it does anything noticible... Just curious to what you guys thought about this. You guys know anything about this?

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: 18 degree timing

Post by Dave-ROR »

e r i c s 9 9 s i wrote:I've been seeing and reading a lot of posts where they are listing how they ran there faster times at the track and one of the things they mention is "18 degree timing" so I was wondering if this really works? Have any of you adjusted your distributor timing (I'm guessing thats what there refering to when they say 18 degrees) to eighteen degrees and noticed improvement? I'm actually going to the track today so I was gonna try this out and see if it does anything noticible... Just curious to what you guys thought about this. You guys know anything about this?
if your car is currently at 16, you probably wont notice anything (I didn't) but a lot of ITRs, GSRs, Civic Si's, etc come far lower from the factory. I've seen ~12 degrees a number of time before. In that case, you'd likely notice a little bit of difference. :shrug:

The difference in qtr mile times could also easily blamed on the driver. Most drivers can't hit the same times over and over again imo. Therefore, because the difference is pretty small, I doubt it'll make a big difference in time. I could be wrong of course.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Re: 18 degree timing

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

I'm fairly sure my timings at 16 right now since I haven't changed anything. However I am very consitant with my times (help by hondata) so we'll see how it works out. I'm gonna change to 18 today before I head to the track. BUT...I'll be running on Azenis tires this time instead of factory michelins so I should be faster on street tires anyhow... so it might take another time at the track with the same tires to be able to tell...

If people are advancing from 12-14 to 18 would it be bad for me sitting at 16degrees to advance to 20 then?

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq