my car came with toyo proxies are they as good as the potenz

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

my car came with toyo proxies are they as good as the potenz

Post by PY 01-0972 »

are they as good as the potenzas? they sure seem sticky but I have read
that the suspension was tuned for the potenzas. any body used the toyos?
and how do they compare?
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

what toyo proxes are they?
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

proxies TPT and they are directional
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

well i currently have toyo proxes fz4 and they are high performance all-season and are somewhat very good not much difference from the pontenzas re10 but lil bit of a feel better through was it sticks excellent on dry, proxes ts1 and proxes 4 are also very good... but i dont know much about proxes tpt except for that they are all-season touring performance tires, but the oe bridgestone potenza re10 is much much better all around (cornering, traction, wet traction, etc.) than the toyo proxes tpt. all i can say is that the oe tires for the itr is better.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

The Toyo you have is not as nice as the RE010 but there are also tires just as good as the RE010 out there for less $$.

For the record the FZ4 isn't even a high performance tire and is a terrible performer in my opinion. I owned one set and that was enough to convincve me Toyo made nothing in street tires that I woudl ever buy again.

Trey
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

thanks I will go for the re's when these toyos are done.
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

While you are right on about the FZ4's, the same can't be said about the T1S or RA1. The T1s is a high performance street tire in the same league as the RE010, pricey but a good tire that I recommend often. When we talk about the RA1, well it's different. While not designed to be a street tire, I have had exceptional mileage on these tires and they have doubled in recent years as my wet race tires in RR, Auto-X and time trials. Again, highly recommended for hardcore street use.

Agreed, the fz4 is not worthy of a performance mention, but you can't generalize like that.
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

I had the T1-S in 195/55, and they paled IMHO to the stock RE010s dry grip (diffrent story in wet) and were not even in the same league as the stockers in turn-in.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
RGoose18
ITRCA Member

Post by RGoose18 »

I've heard the T1-S's are EXTREMELY light tires, they also are quite grippy and have an average life for a high performance tire. Not sure whether or not I should go w/ the T1-S's or just go w/ a set of S0-3's. Anybody used both of these tires? Also, would being a few lbs. lighter than the S0-3's make much of a difference in acceleration?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Carl,

Notice I said nothing for the street. The T1-S that I have been exposed to were on Jetydosa's car and now on a freinds civic and they are no where near the RE010, Yoko ES100, Kumho MX or Azenis and they cost 50% more than all those tires (Except the RE010).

If you want a great all around tire for wear, grip and water shedding get the Yokohama ES100. If you can live with a little less tire life get the Kumho MX. If grip is your one and only concern get the Azenis. Pretty Simple really.

The Toyo RA1 is a great option for a track tire that gives great grip and good wear compared to the Kumho V700 and Hoosiers. There is also the Yokohama A032R but I have heard better things about the RA1.

Trey
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Rgoose,

The weight makes little difference that I have seen. The S03 is a much better tire for grip than the T1-S. We have auto-xed and tracked the T1-S and they provide average high performance grip. I'd say price being equal the S03 is a much better tire but I bet the S03 is cheaper.
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

Put it this way, even though I havent driven the S-03s, Id buy them over buying the T1-S again.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.