will a b16a (pr3) head work on a ITR?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
rysbrnr
New ITRCA Member

will a b16a (pr3) head work on a ITR?

Post by rysbrnr »

I friend of mine damaged his 98 ITR head (p73) when the cam ground itself into the head. Being in Iowa and desperately needing head! , he found a b16a head locally and put it on his ITR. The car is has I/H/E and Skunk 2 ITR cams. The car starts up and idles fine but runs like crap when you rev it up or try to drive it?
Is the b16a (pr3) head the culprit? what makes it so different that it won't work on his car? Does anyone out there have a ITR or 99+ Si head for sale?:?:
Sully
01 PY ITR#352 (for the twisties)
AEM CAI, Fluidyne rad, FAL fans, ACT stg2,
JUN flywhl, JDM front /mirrors/steering
whl/airbag tray
01 AUDI S4 stg 2+ (for the Autobahn)
Abt, H&R, Forge BPV, 3"ex, 18" Fondmetal 9x
w/Falken Azenis, 13.5@101mph w/shitty launch
92 TALON Tsi AWD (for 11 sec blasts)
20g, 2g MAS, Apex-i FMIC/S-AFC/AVC-R/N-1
exh/ Aeroquip/Aeromotive fuel sys, Blitz
BOV/Technospeed Z-1...most funds go here
94 ACURA LEGEND (for plush travel)
all stock
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: will a b16a (pr3) head work on a ITR?

Post by Dave-ROR »

rysbrnr wrote:I friend of mine damaged his 98 ITR head (p73) when the cam ground itself into the head. Being in Iowa and desperately needing head! , he found a b16a head locally and put it on his ITR. The car is has I/H/E and Skunk 2 ITR cams. The car starts up and idles fine but runs like crap when you rev it up or try to drive it?
Is the b16a (pr3) head the culprit? what makes it so different that it won't work on his car? Does anyone out there have a ITR or 99+ Si head for sale?:?:
There is no such thing as a P73 head. An ITR head IS a B16A head (PR3 as you noted). What IM/tb/etc is he using with the "new" head? Any vac leaks?
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
rysbrnr
New ITRCA Member

Post by rysbrnr »

oh, I didn't know there wasn't a p73 head. He told me that that's the head he got. It was a head off of a JDM 90-93 Integra (Xsi or whatever it's called) He said the original tranny that was used with this "new" head was a cable tranny. I realize a 99+ Si head shold work but we can't find anything like that around here. We used a mighty vac to check for leaks and didn't find any. The stock ITR throttle body and intake manifold is being used and there are no other engine mods besides the Skunk 2 cams. Maybe it's the cams?? At first we thought maybe he got the wrong timing belt ( i guess there are two different timing belts according to todaracing.com) but we checked the timing belt again and it had "P72" somewhere in the part number. P72 checks out okay according to ITRCA's part numbers page.
Sully
01 PY ITR#352 (for the twisties)
AEM CAI, Fluidyne rad, FAL fans, ACT stg2,
JUN flywhl, JDM front /mirrors/steering
whl/airbag tray
01 AUDI S4 stg 2+ (for the Autobahn)
Abt, H&R, Forge BPV, 3"ex, 18" Fondmetal 9x
w/Falken Azenis, 13.5@101mph w/shitty launch
92 TALON Tsi AWD (for 11 sec blasts)
20g, 2g MAS, Apex-i FMIC/S-AFC/AVC-R/N-1
exh/ Aeroquip/Aeromotive fuel sys, Blitz
BOV/Technospeed Z-1...most funds go here