keep blowin underhood fuse!

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
B18C5power
New ITRCA Member

keep blowin underhood fuse!

Post by B18C5power »

i keep blowing the 15a fuse in the underhood fuse box by the battery...my fuse box cover says its the ecu fuse but my helms manual says its the pgm-fi main relay fuse...anyone have any idea why this may be happening...it only does it when i accelerate and then the car sputters and dies...i then pop the hood to see that sure enough the same fuse has blown. please help.
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: keep blowin underhood fuse!

Post by Dave-ROR »

B18C5power wrote:i keep blowing the 15a fuse in the underhood fuse box by the battery...my fuse box cover says its the ecu fuse but my helms manual says its the pgm-fi main relay fuse...anyone have any idea why this may be happening...it only does it when i accelerate and then the car sputters and dies...i then pop the hood to see that sure enough the same fuse has blown. please help.
What's been done to the car?
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
B18C5power
New ITRCA Member

Post by B18C5power »

nothing has been done to the car since i swapped out my b18b in favor of the b18c5...it was running just fine for about a month and then i stopped to get gas at chevron and as i was leaving the gas station i began to accelerate up a hill and the car hesitated like the fuel was cut off but then it continued to accelerate fine up the hil...at the top of the hill i was at a light and went to accel. from a stop and it hesitated again but this time the battery light came on so i thought it stalled but it would not restart. i coasted over to the side of the road and poped the hood...i began to check fuses and saw the blown 15a so i replaced it and the car started right up and blew the same fuse later that day under the same sort of conditions.
B18C5power
New ITRCA Member

Post by B18C5power »

my fuel pump and injectors are from the b18b and im wondering if they may be part of the problem?
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Obviously you are getting an excessive amount of power draw. I woudl change to a 20A fuse and see if it blows. I don't think 5 more amps will cause an eletrical fire or equipment damage and you might eb pulling something silly like 16 amps. Just something to consider. If you blow the 20A fuse you have a different issue we need to hunt down.

Fuel pump and Injectors are the same for all the Bseries motors.
VtecWhore
New ITRCA Member

Post by VtecWhore »

Trey wrote:Obviously you are getting an excessive amount of power draw. I woudl change to a 20A fuse and see if it blows. I don't think 5 more amps will cause an eletrical fire or equipment damage and you might eb pulling something silly like 16 amps. Just something to consider. If you blow the 20A fuse you have a different issue we need to hunt down.

Fuel pump and Injectors are the same for all the Bseries motors.

i wouldnt put a bigger fuse in it. you could fry your wire harness. that 15 amp fuse in the cornor goes to your main relay. now theres a short to ground or like trey said theres to much of a draw somewhere. the main relay powers tons of stuff so start some where. the relay powers your injectors,sensors,fuel pump etc....... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
B18C5power
New ITRCA Member

Post by B18C5power »

ok well i was speaking with a guy who does only car electrical and he said that the wires in a car are meant to handle twice the amperage of the fuse that is protecting them....in this case we have a 15a fuse so the wire that connects to it can take 30a before it will fry...he also reccomended trying a 20a fuse to see if it blew as well and sure enough it did. this really sucks.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Try to isolate the systems that pull power when you accellerate and are related to that fuse. MAP sensor? TPS Sensor? Something has to have gone bad.

Trey