Help from those with experience of it...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Help from those with experience of it...

Post by The Question »

So tonight i get pulled over by a cop from another town but im pulled over to my city where that cop isnt police from. Aight im riding at 24 mph on 3rd gear at about 2.6-3.0 rpm on a street of Union and the cop is on a driveway i pass him, he comes and tailgates me for a while until i go down more to the street n turn to a street which now is in my city, now i get deeper into my city n he is still tailgating behind n now (after 2-3 minutes) flashes me n pulls me over. I knew i there was no reason for me to get pulled over and i knew there shouldnt be a problem. He says my muffler is loud. I say it wasnt as loud as other cars i passed n since i passed them u passed too cause u tailgated me. Anyway im only riding at below speed limit at 23-24mph at between 2.6-3.0 rpm. He said it was loud. To me and others its not louder but just a lil louder than what a stock muffler would sound from another car. But i have a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion cat-back exhaust... which is 50 State legal. Now i tell him that so, and he says my muffler is loud n shouldnt have it to drive. Starts bullsh*tting n says there is no way you can pass inspection. I tell him i passed inspection. Says no way it can pass muffler is too loud. Says you didnt have on the muffler when it was inspected.
F*ck him... i knew he pulled me over just to get at me or to get at a beautiful car. I passed inspection with all my mods equip. He is full of bullsh*t. Anyway he follows me right?... n there is a history of my city n the town he is from that have "beef against my city". I complained to him cause i knew n he knew he was wrong.
Got a ticket (first time ever after nearly 3 years of driving experience), and i will go to court cause it was all wrong. But this is my first time getting a tiket n going to court so i am a lil nervous as i dont exactly know what to do except plead not guilty and correct n prove my innocence. So can anyone help me with advice. I was pretty f*cked up by the cop. On the side about the history, the other town police always try to get at the young people from my city.
Need advice what to do in court... thanks everuyone in advance... sorry its long tried to make it short im just really pissed at getting accused wrong n all that.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

OK 1st thing is when I pass a cop that is just parked and I know is just looking for something to pull me over for I take the car outta gear and just roll by him not making any noise at all. If he is following you just pull into a store or something and sit there. Also put the car in the highest gear to make it that much quitter.

Anyway, put your stock muffler back on the car...go to court...pled not guilty...show the judge how a TypeR exhaust might "look" after market compared to a LS exhaust but is stock. Judge will drop the charges and you'll be free. You can also wait till like 2 days or 1 day before your court date and try to reschedule it. If you do chances are the officer is not going to take another day off of work to come to a small case like this and it might get dismissed anyway.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

Erik B, thats a great idea about replaced it with the stock exhaust muffler but i sold that right after i got the aftermarket exhaust :shock:
anyway yo u know what was the funny thing, the cop put the the street of his town in Union on the ticket but i was pulled over in my city at a different street in Irvington.
Is it good to have a witness that will definitely prove to the judge that i was very wrongfully accused... cause my boy was following me n said it wasnt loud or very loud for a cop to try n get you, plus he can also tell that we passed to cars that were 2-3 times louder than mine.
So would having a witness be helpful???
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

also i have my inspection report papers that proves it passed n can pass NJ inspection...
so bringing that would be great too or i cant do that???
typeRated
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeRated »

This is what I would do..
Yes you can take your muffler off and put the stock one, that can help. I would bring the papers that show you passed the emmissions test to the judge if you personally go to the courthouse. Whatever you do, plead not guilty..
Another option which is what I do Is call a Lawyer and they will have it rescheduled (meaning in most cases you won't have to go to court) and rescheduled again until it's dropped.. then they will call it deffered Judification , which will not be on your record at all for a cost of 75.00.
Ive done this 3 times and my record is clean, so good luck..
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

Here's what you do..this will work it's the law ;)

If you have your emissions paper work I'd take that into court with you. Bring up the fact that the outta city cop pulled you over in a city that was outta his juristiction (however some police agencies have combined agreements) so you might wanna find that out... but if they don't theres no reason for him to pull you over in a town outta his jurisition. Most importantly, did the officer get outta the car and physically test the exhaust with a decibal meter? If not, how's he know if it's too loud or not. HE CAN'T!

too sum it all up...

* take your emission papers in for proof that the car passed.
* bring up the fact that the exhaust was too loud, yet there was not decibal tests done.
* bring up the question why a outta town officer was pulling you over outta his juristicion anyway

end of story... They can't prove it was louder than regulations without having it tested on location. The cop must have magical decibal reading ears...lol even then, I'd wanna see proof that his ear's are properly tuned to specifications...

I've been through a few BS tickets like this and I've never had any of them stick in court... half the time the officer does not show proof that their equipment was properly tuned or used during the incedent. ie. you got a ticket for speeding by radar.... ask when you go into court for the paperwork from the officers car when he last tuned the radar gun... they have to tune the radar gun with a tuning fork before they use it to assure accuracy... even then, you can bring up the question as "where do you store these forks, if they're mis-used in any way they are now in-accurate."

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

[quote="typeRated"]This is what I would do..
Yes you can take your muffler off and put the stock one, that can help.quote]

i dont have my stock exhaust anymore (sold it last year)

[quote="e r i c s 9 9 s i"]Most importantly, did the officer get outta the car and physically test the exhaust with a decibal meter? If not, how's he know if it's too loud or not.quote]

how does the decibal meter look? but the cop never had anything on him or his hands, only had the usual stuff. Just straight out rush to my window and started BSing.
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

I've been driving my car with its current mods for more than a year always seeing n passing cops everyday where i live and other cities by here except for that one town Union which i hardly pass through only to go to the highway. But everday n almost everyminute i pass police cops here n other cities right by here riding over 3.8 rpm nearly 4 or about 4 rpm... they got no problem with it never had any problem with it.
But i mean i the police here knows the car is street legal n some police cops here tell me it "sounds great n must be very fast, would love to try and race that." As long as its street use n street legal engine mods then there shouldnt be any problem or concern of trouble.
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

the decibal meter reader would have to have its microphone right by the exhaust tip to get a reading. Doesn't sound like he used one.

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

tru he aint use one im sure of it...
thanks a lot everyone :D :wink:
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Jan Niemi »

Erik B wrote:OK 1st thing is when I pass a cop that is just parked and I know is just looking for something to pull me over for I take the car outta gear and just roll by him not making any noise at all.
Ha, Ha,,I thought I was the only one who does that, I'm notorious for gliding by cops in neutral, the car is virtually silent... :D
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

do i HAVE to go to court with the R? is it a MUST?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

court

Post by Jan Niemi »

I don't know how your traffic laws are, but here in Michigan if you don't appear in court on a citation, you automatically admit guilt and pay the fines. I have personally gone to court on a citation (Illegal left turn, no license, no insurance, no registration) That would have been a couple hundred dollars in fines, but I took a half day off work and showed up to court, the cop failed to show and my case was dismissed.

(btw I was picking up chinese food and forgot my wallet at home and just happened to make an illegal left turn.....)

In terms of your "loud" exhaust, you would have to show up at court and they would have to take a decibel meter to prove that you are out of spec, providing that you have documentation that your exhaust is legal.
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
typeRated
New ITRCA Member

Post by typeRated »

The Question wrote:do i HAVE to go to court with the R? is it a MUST?
We'll I'm in Texas and it really depends on you. You can go and plead your case or get a lawyer pay the fee of about 75.00 and they take care of everything in most cases and that saves you the time to go to court. Once you call the Lawyer he will brief you on what needs to be done. It's simpe I would recommend this to anyone...You should get though this without any problem.
Again Im in Texas which it does not mean pleading guilty if you don't show(meaning the lawyer goes instead) thats why you should leave it to the guys who know the law..
The Question
New ITRCA Member

Post by The Question »

well aight, thanks a lot everyone for all you told me
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

All you need to do is prove a slight doubt in the judges mind.
these two things that were mentioned are all you should need to beat this ticket.

:"* take your emission papers in for proof that the car passed.
* bring up the fact that the exhaust was too loud, yet there was not decibal tests done."

if the cops lies and said he did ask him for a report/ results of test.

rememeber- proving doubt- is all you need to do.
swed