what's a good clutch for a ITR?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
[erc]N/A
New ITRCA Member

what's a good clutch for a ITR?

Post by [erc]N/A »

i am wondering what's a good racing clutch for a ITR?
Team Envy-Us
E.R.C. PERFORMANCE

13.2@108 on (street tires) Flaken Aziens
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I have no problems witht the ACT clutch I installed a while back, I went with ACT xt-ss- bit stiffer then stock but yet drivable.
swed
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

clutch masters stage 2 or 3 and lightweight flywheel would be the best bang for the buck IMHO...
'98 Integra Type R #363
ITR41
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR41 »

I would not go clutch masters I had a stage 3 and it was junk in under 9k miles. go ACT
98 ITR
14.108@98mph all motor
greddy custom turbo set up from hybridynamics, 450cc injectors, cartech FMU, missing link, AFC, 255lph pump, inline pro head gasket and block gaurd, profec-b.
13.0@109mph-street tires, stock exhaust, stock internals, pump gas, ac, ps
http://www.hybridynamics.com
soon to be GE 83MM sleeved block ready for 25psi and 11's?
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

Everyone has their own opinion about clutches... Personally I doubt anyone beats or drives there car harder than I... I personally have been running the Exedy Organic ($268 shipped on coximports.com) for the last 4ish years... This clutch has seen 125shot, multiple 9800rpm N/A build, 9psi Jackson Supercharger, 400+ whp 16psi Turbo setup and now my ITR... Still looks farely new... I couldn't beleive it...this clutch only on a ITR will last forever..seriously.

Oh yeah, did I mention I launch at 8,000 rpms at the track every single time (during drag season, I'm there every week) plus the abuse of the everyday stop and go commute. Not saying this IS the best out there, just saying it'd be hard for me to beleive a modded ITR will chew this thing up... if it didn't last at least 5 years or more, I'd be really shocked.

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

clutch

Post by Jan Niemi »

I have had my CM stage 3 with a stock machined flywheel for 2 years. As you know my car is boosted at 10Psig, and I've accumulated about 60 balls out drag launches on the clutch plus daily driving during from April to November each year.

The clutch has been the best I've owned in the last 17 years of driving. The life of a clutch is extremely dependent on the driver. The more you slip it, the quicker it's going to wear. I downshift a lot, this promotes wear, some people coast and use the brakes to decel, this saves the clutch.

The best thing about the CM stage 3 is virtually stock engagement (it's a little grabby though)
http://speedindustry.biz
for all of your tuning, parts, fabrication and other service needs.
otb2000itr
New ITRCA Member

Post by otb2000itr »

I have the same setup as jan as far as the clutch and flywheel ( cm stage 3 and stock machined flywheel) and its been working great...soon to be handling boost too!!
-----------------------
FBP 00 ITR #1117
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Eric the Si and the Type-R handle the Exedy clutch very differently. If I could give everyone on this board one piece of advice for their Type-R it would be DO NOT BUY EXEDY CLUTCHES. I had one fail at 7,000 miles with no hard driving. I can find you several more people with Type-Rs with the same problem. I can find you a few retailers who will agree there is a problem.

Coximports is the LAST place I woudl buy anything. When we brought up the clutch problem on Hondatech Mike at Cox was a complete ASS. He blamed the breakage on installer error and that there was no way the clutch could have broken for any other reason. I assure you the people that put it in are more than competent. I got it covered under warranty and have 12,000 miles on an ACT HDSS now.

2 pieces of advice for R owners.
1) DO NOT BUY EXEDY ANYTHING
2) Don't buy from cox imports they will NOT stand behind their products.

I'd say check clutchcityonline.com for clutches. They at least are willing to support their products.

If anyone wants to see how big of a jackass Mike at Cox is I will dig up the post.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Re: what's a good clutch for a ITR?

Post by bbqman »

[erc]N/A wrote:i am wondering what's a good racing clutch for a ITR?
If your car is stock and the racing you refer to is autocross and/or lapping, I can say that an OE clutch, for the money , stands up to the test.

My original lasted 85K and no problems with the replacement so far.
100 track can't be wrong....32 alone this year!!!!
JDMITR98
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMITR98 »

[quote="e r i c s 9 9 s i"]Everyone has their own opinion about clutches... Personally I doubt anyone beats or drives there car harder than I... I personally have been running the Exedy Organic ($268 shipped on coximports.com) for the last 4ish years... This clutch has seen 125shot, multiple 9800rpm N/A build, 9psi Jackson Supercharger, 400+ whp 16psi Turbo setup and now my ITR... Still looks farely new... I couldn't beleive it...this clutch only on a ITR will last forever..seriously.

I would also have to agree, Exedy.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

bbqman is just a wussy when he shifts - that's why the stock clutch lasts so long - lol :lol: (j/k carl)

I'm a die-hard Clutchmasters 3/light flywheel guy. My stock cluctch lasted 75,000 miles & I have another 35,000 on the clutchmasters setup. I drive very aggressively & have run ~8-10 HPDE's with the clutchmaster... although i don't run ~400whp :-P

BudMan
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

If clean and precise shifting qualifies as 'wussy'....mmm then i am guilty as charged :oops:

Budman....where were you in September...I was looking for ya at Topeka...coulda used a manifold when my broke!!!!

I'm going back in 2004.
R1366
ITRCA Member

Post by R1366 »

I have to say that I've been w/ my Clutchmasters Stage 3/lightened flywheel for about 27k miles already which includes daily driving,a few drag events and 5 HPDE's thus far, all in less than 2 years.

I can't say anything wrong about this set up
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

bbqman wrote:If clean and precise shifting qualifies as 'wussy'....mmm then i am guilty as charged :oops:

Budman....where were you in September...I was looking for ya at Topeka...coulda used a manifold when my broke!!!!

I'm going back in 2004.
I was in Topeka Fri-Sunday...I even tried to call you once. I'm really sorry we didn't get hooked up for the local BBQ!

I'll email my cell phone to you for future reference. :oops:
01pyITR#977
New ITRCA Member

Post by 01pyITR#977 »

I like Exedy
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

e r i c s 9 9 s i wrote:Everyone has their own opinion about clutches... Personally I doubt anyone beats or drives there car harder than I... I personally have been running the Exedy Organic ($268 shipped on coximports.com) for the last 4ish years... This clutch has seen 125shot, multiple 9800rpm N/A build, 9psi Jackson Supercharger, 400+ whp 16psi Turbo setup and now my ITR... Still looks farely new... I couldn't beleive it...this clutch only on a ITR will last forever..seriously.

Oh yeah, did I mention I launch at 8,000 rpms at the track every single time (during drag season, I'm there every week) plus the abuse of the everyday stop and go commute. Not saying this IS the best out there, just saying it'd be hard for me to beleive a modded ITR will chew this thing up... if it didn't last at least 5 years or more, I'd be really shocked.
holy shit, very nice. bulletproof clutches are thumbs up :!: :!: :!:
gotta try it
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082
My Picture and Referece Thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1579748

http://www.junauto.co.jp
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

JUN wrote:
e r i c s 9 9 s i wrote:Everyone has their own opinion about clutches... Personally I doubt anyone beats or drives there car harder than I... I personally have been running the Exedy Organic ($268 shipped on coximports.com) for the last 4ish years... This clutch has seen 125shot, multiple 9800rpm N/A build, 9psi Jackson Supercharger, 400+ whp 16psi Turbo setup and now my ITR... Still looks farely new... I couldn't beleive it...this clutch only on a ITR will last forever..seriously.

PLEASE note that Eric has an SI. The Exedy Orginc is know to have more issues in Integras and most specifically Type-Rs. It isn't really owrth the money savings IMO
holy shit, very nice. bulletproof clutches are thumbs up :!: :!: :!:
gotta try it
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

"I'd say check clutchcityonline.com for clutches. They at least are willing to support their products. "

I have bought 2 clutches from them without any problems and great service each time, And I was unable to find any lower prices then what they offer.

"Eric the Si and the Type-R handle the Exedy clutch very differently. If I could give everyone on this board one piece of advice for their Type-R it would be DO NOT BUY EXEDY CLUTCHES. I had one fail at 7,000 miles with no hard driving. I can find you several more people with Type-Rs with the same problem. I can find you a few retailers who will agree there is a problem."

Yeah I would also never buy a exedy clutch again mine also failed just shy of 7k miles, I had the Exedy Cerametallic Racing Clutch- the pedal was nasty and the chatter was unbearable.
swed