type r suspension

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
01blackr
New ITRCA Member

type r suspension

Post by 01blackr »

my r is my daily driver do you think that I should stick with the suspension it came with or change it. the only thing I dont' like about it is tht it sits sort of high. one other thing I noticed in the past is if you don't get a whole coilover system then it makes no sense to change the suspension. I mean in the past I have only put in springs and made my suspension on my cars worst than factory. the car sat lower and looked pretty but drove like sh$#. any help would be appreciated.

p.s. i can't afford a whole coilover system
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

Spoon springs if you arent getting full coilovers
'98 Integra Type R #363
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Re: type r suspension

Post by JUN.R »

01blackr wrote: p.s. i can't afford a whole coilover system
save up for it then
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082
My Picture and Referece Thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1579748

http://www.junauto.co.jp
RGoose18
ITRCA Member

Re: type r suspension

Post by RGoose18 »

01blackr wrote:my r is my daily driver do you think that I should stick with the suspension it came with or change it. the only thing I dont' like about it is tht it sits sort of high. one other thing I noticed in the past is if you don't get a whole coilover system then it makes no sense to change the suspension. I mean in the past I have only put in springs and made my suspension on my cars worst than factory. the car sat lower and looked pretty but drove like sh$#. any help would be appreciated.

p.s. i can't afford a whole coilover system
Don't change it, it's fine how it is, especially if you daily drive it. As for it sitting kinda high, I think you're out of your mind. Don't go and ruin a perfectly tuned suspension setup for the "slammed" ricer look. Just my .02
2001 NHBP ITR
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Unless you are going to track the car, it is already 10X better then most anything out there...all lower an already 'lower than normal' car is going to do on the street is scrub driveways!
ITR97
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97 »

leave it the way it is and save up for the coilovers. it be worth it in the end.
01blackr
New ITRCA Member

Post by 01blackr »

thank you all for your replies. leaving it the way it is till i can afford some coilovers is what i will do. what should i look for suspension wise then. like what company. but most of all i would like to get a little more power and i don't know where to start. i guess i am asking for to much at one time and no way of getting it. stock is the way it will sit for a long time i guess.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

For suspension the best setups for the money are (ANd even these aren't cheap)

JIC FLTA2
Zeal B6
TEIN RE (Nothing lower in the TEIN line is worth it IMO)
Buddy Club Racing Dampers

Trey
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

Trey wrote:For suspension the best setups for the money are (ANd even these aren't cheap)

JIC FLTA2
Zeal B6

Trey
there's a few others that are real real nice, but thumbs up on what you meantioned. i have the Apex-i 99specs, think i'm gonna swap them out for either the Zeals or BCs
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082

JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

the pillow ball chatter is CHIT!!!
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082

98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

Tein RAs are worth the money IMHO
'98 Integra Type R #363
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

also, if you are looking for a good street coilover Tanabe Sustec Pro IIs are adj. and good quality for $850 :)
'98 Integra Type R #363
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

98cwitr wrote:also, if you are looking for a good street coilover Tanabe Sustec Pro IIs are adj. and good quality for $850 :)
werd
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082

Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

98cwitr wrote:Tein RAs are worth the money IMHO
They have a poor height adjustment system compared to everything I named above and cost as much or more than at least 2 of the 4 sets. The TEIN RE is the lowest on the TEIN line that adjusts height independent of shock stroke which is very important.

Pillow ball cattaer is terrible. The worst is on TEINs. JIC and Zeal come with solid upper mounts with rubber bushings making the noise MUCH less which improving the upper mount style. The ZEAL and JIC's have this mount included in their kits. TEIN requires you pay more for the pillow balls. I don't think this is the case for the exspensive TEINs but as mentioned the noise is aweful and the gain is minimal
01blackr
New ITRCA Member

Post by 01blackr »

thank you for the replies. l have noticed in the past never settle for something other than what you really want. so i am just going to have to save. and thanks to all of you cause i would have probably been going out and wasting money on springs and kicking myself. by the way everyone has helped me in every possible way with knowledge on this car. thanx

PHIL
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

i stand corrected :)
'98 Integra Type R #363
Shaft
New ITRCA Member

Post by Shaft »

Will this Spoon setup be better, same or worse than stock???????

00 PY ITR
00 VSM SIR - FOR SALE ONLY 15900 CAD!!!!!!!!
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I assume that picture is the only one you coudl find. Those shocks won't fit out car. This setup falls into the same category with TEIN SS, the Tanabe Sustec and other systems (Mugen Lowdown) but likely more exspensive than most.

I would be interested to know what they cost. JIC's would be a MUCH better setup and killer deal at $1495. I would suspect spoon setup like that is at best a few hundred less and much less capable. I don't want to completely comment on the spoon system capability but I do know that their springs alone are not very performance oriented. If these are the same springs with spoon rebeadged shocks they are what i woudl consider no better than stock and way over priced.
Shaft
New ITRCA Member

Post by Shaft »

I think they are less than the Tein SS, these are not even height adjustable. They are just revalved stock shocks.
00 PY ITR
00 VSM SIR - FOR SALE ONLY 15900 CAD!!!!!!!!
Black R
New ITRCA Member

Post by Black R »

Trey wrote:For suspension the best setups for the money are (ANd even these aren't cheap)

JIC FLTA2
Zeal B6

Trey
How about the H&R RSS2's? I heard those are pretty amazing.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Post a link to them and what do they cost? I won't look twice at a coilover system that doesn't have height and stroke independent of each other. Does the H&R?
Black R
New ITRCA Member

Post by Black R »

I'm pretty sure it does. They're like $1920 at the Tire Rack. I'll give you a link later.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/susp ... ension+Kit

They are $400 more than the JIC's, about the same price as the Zeal's and don't have the ability to change ride height without shortening shock stoke. Doesn't seem like a good move in my opinion.

I am still sticking with the ones listed above as the suspension with the best features.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

Trey wrote:http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/susp ... ension+Kit

They are $400 more than the JIC's, about the same price as the Zeal's and don't have the ability to change ride height without shortening shock stoke. Doesn't seem like a good move in my opinion.

I am still sticking with the ones listed above as the suspension with the best features.
IWS....Zeals own all
'98 Integra Type R #363
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

IWS? Not heard that one before.

I woudl not go so far as to say Zeal owns all. Quality pieces but I do have to say that custom spring rates seem to be needed for the rear.