VIN # data in the Registry?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Trey
Site Admin

VIN # data in the Registry?

Post by Trey »

We are finishing up the Regiistry at ITRCA and shoudl be done in a few days. I am trying to think of all possible uses the database might have and what goood use we coudl put it to.
I am curious how many people would have an issue putting their VIN # in the database to match with their car number incase there is ever a question.

This would be HIDDEN, NON-displayed data that only you could see and that an administrator (Me) could dig out of the database if there was ever a question. The only purpose would be to match totaled/stolen R's with no arm rest with their old number.

Thoughts? I could easily be missing a security issue but please don't let pure paranoia run you off from the idea that this is the best opportunity to catalog everything about the car.

Again this would not be viewable info by anyone but the person with that account that the entry is linked to.

Trey
TegR#0989
New ITRCA Member

Post by TegR#0989 »

Sounds coo to me Bro.
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

You know my thoughts. Go Go Go!
swed
ITR97-143
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR97-143 »

i like the idea... ya never want to post vin numbers.. anyone that has a car that runs off the oem key set can have there car stolen ezer...
all it takes is someone to call acura with your vin and info. and they can get a key cut to your lock code for your car.. and go to your house or work and steal your car.
:?
I 8 UR VETTE :)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

It's true, all you really need is a VIN#, a good fake ID, and a fake copy of a registration, and poof, no more ITR.

I like the idea, but in practice, I don't think it's something you want to do, and find yourself responsible for that kind of thing.

Later!
97-241
New ITRCA Member

Post by 97-241 »

Sadly enough, you do not need a fake ID or any proof to get a key at some dealers. My brother got locked out of his Acura a couple of months ago, took my car down to the dealer, handed them a VIN#, gave them $5 and said thanks! They did not ask him his name or for any proof of ownership, just $5.

On the other hand, I think it could be something worth looking into. I think it would be cool to see the breakdown of VIN #s, engine numbers, car color, and badge numbers.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys cover up your VIN# on your car? Having it exposed to everyone walking by has to be more dangerous than leaving it with Trey! :P