About to pick up ITR, what do I need to look for..advice?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

About to pick up ITR, what do I need to look for..advice?

Post by 3_diamond »

I am about to pick up an ITR Monday. There are things I am thinking of doing...such as carfax the vin number, check the engine code and the vin to match, call Acura dealer and check with the vin on the maintenance been done, anything else? I just want to make sure I am not getting ripped off, and any suggestions welcome?
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: About to pick up ITR, what do I need to look for..advice?

Post by Dave-ROR »

3_diamond wrote:I am about to pick up an ITR Monday. There are things I am thinking of doing...such as carfax the vin number, check the engine code and the vin to match, call Acura dealer and check with the vin on the maintenance been done, anything else? I just want to make sure I am not getting ripped off, and any suggestions welcome?
Who's selling the car? dealer? private owner? any pics/details of the car? is it stock?
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

Definitely get it checked out by a trusted mechanic. Before i found my car, i had one R that looked perfect on the outside end up having a dud motor.
CW 98 #805
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

Dealer selling it, in Georgia. I did the vin checked and I found out 4 owners vehicle and lease registered. And one of the dates were 1 month apart in changing the second to third owner. The car has 35000 miles. What do you think? It is worth going there? My loan is approved already and it is all about if the car is the right car or not? Thanks ya'll
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

I know how exciting it is when you are that close to a R but four owners in
35000 miles is alot. if you can have it checked out by a indepentdant tech
that is advisable. if its a acura dealer ship and the car is a 00 or 01 your warranty would be good for 4 years or 50000 miles. take it for a test drive
radio off and listen for any sounds(type R's make alot of sounds so listen
for anything out of the ordinary. how smooth is the shifting.accerlates smoothly.brakes without pulling or pulsing. look under the hood for leaks
as well as underneth. most dealerships give at the very least 30 days warranty reguardless of milage. good luck and congrats!!!!
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
typercrazed
New ITRCA Member

Post by typercrazed »

Just a thought but, if the car has gone through 4 owners AND a lease, does that mean there were actually 5 owners? Could the car have gone through a couple of auctions and that is how this dealer got it? I would ask the dealer where he obtained the car and if it would be OK to call the previous owner. I believe in Ohio, where I live, if one asks the dealer to talk to the previous owner, the dealer (this is only if the car is on a lot, not a private sale) is required to do whatever he/she can to contact that owner. Also, look at the Owners Manual, sometimes the previous owners name and address are still in it.

If the dealer shys away from the question or say it is not possible, I'd be questionable about the true history of the car. I know how much the R means, have an '01 PY #275, myself, but I've been stung before and especially by dealers. Is the dealer Acura or franchised or is he private, selling NO new cars?

Just a few thoughts and if everything works out, you'll love the car.
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

or even try to track down some ITR owners close to you and have them go down there with you, that'd be your best bet since most of us know our cars inside and out. that LEASE is what would scare me, people drive them like rental cars :?
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082
My Picture and Referece Thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1579748

http://www.junauto.co.jp
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

I got the car. I love it so much, I can't sleep much. Thanks to all who posted. The car is in excellent condition. I am so tired now cause I just drove 1200 miles since sunday night, and now tuesday morning I just arrived. I'll share more detail later on when I feel better.
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

3_diamond wrote:I got the car. I love it so much, I can't sleep much. .
Welcome to the club...
<-- See location
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

congrats on the purchace!!

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
Eva01
ITRCA Member

Post by Eva01 »

Which Dealer did you purchase it from? If I would have seen this post earlier. I would have checked it out for you. Oh well, congrats on the purchase. Hey, you didn't happen to have puchased a yellow that was way lowered? Because I saw one off Satellite Blvd (lots of dealers on the street) around 1:30. Weird coincidence if it was you. Anyway, enjoy the car bro.
JUN.R
ITRCA Member

Post by JUN.R »

nice :shock:
welcome to the club
IT-R Militia Member #43
2001 PY-R #0082
My Picture and Referece Thread
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1579748

http://www.junauto.co.jp
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

Im in GA too, and curious what dealer you bought it from? You dont see many at dealers around here.

Acura Carland had 2 ITRs at one time about 6 months ago, they had ~24k on both of them, and they sold within a week.
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

I bought it at Mazda Roswell GA. I think I have seen the car online before for sale, but I don't remember where. It has the JDM front end conversion one 5 spoke Honda wheel, yellow. Has 34000 miles and I got it for $17998. Any of ya'll have any info? It has no dings or dent at all. I am enjoying it right now...what do you think I need to do first? Maintenance wise? cause I don't know if it has been maintained well, from appearance seems like well maintained. And car cover? Where to get it? I am thinking alarm? Any suggestions? There is no keyless entry huh? Thanks for welcoming me to the club...by the way I choose this over Mitsu Evo.
jetydosa
suite 200

Post by jetydosa »

No, Im not familar with that one. What do you mean when you say, "one 5 spoke Honda wheel, yellow"?

No keyless entry on the R standard, it was an accessory I believe. As far as a car cover, check with http://www.barancoacura.com/ , call the parts and ask for Len, tell him you are with itrca, he'll give you a good price.

Enjoy the car!
Do not blow compressed air into your mouth or ears.
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

my two cents- if you can afford it replace all the fluids tranny,coolant oil
brake powersteering and clutch. I know some of the fluids arent required to be changed at 35,000 but if the car had been driven hard or in adverse
weather (ie) too hot too cold or lots of rain,it sure wouldnt hurt. search here there are alot of topics on alarms,if its parked outside at night I dont think there can be to much security!
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

PY 01-0972 wrote:replace all the fluids tranny,coolant oil
brake powersteering and clutch
-Yes
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

Are we supposed to have rear wiper. Mine doesn't come with it. Do ya'll know how to fix this...I have one bolt on the front strut tower brace broke off..so only one bolt and nut holding one side. Oh by the way, so far everyone is loving the car for those who doesn't know about R, some are so jealous those who knows about the R. My bad...my english is horrible huh? Thanks for ya'll suggestion. I will do all those as soon as possible...Thanks again!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

AS for the Wiper, I have mine off for two year and love the way it looks without and going thru a carwash is alot less risky.

And for the broken bolt, Call len (mentioned above) Great guy/ service and prices, get the bolt and replace from under the wheel well, above the tire...

Good luck and you have a garage right?
swed
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

Questions for ya'll

Why is my tailights different than others. I have orange red and pinkish white. And I have seen other that are just really white and the rest is red.....

Why some have rear wiper and mine doesn't?

Can someone please answer it?

Thanks!
Eva01
ITRCA Member

Post by Eva01 »

Can you post a pic of them? Sounds like they may be UKDM lights? As for the missing rear wiper, the previous owner probably deleted it for a cleaner look. A lot of ITR owners do this. I never used my rear wiper when I had it on anyway...so off it went. Saved me 3 whole lbs. :o
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Oh and as for no rear wiper, I forgot to add that if you RainX the glass you will have very good visabilty.
swed
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

Took the car to dealership this morning because SRS light is on, and I failed inspection because I have no horn. Conclusion....dealership told me that the car has been wrecked before. There are a lot of indication that would suggest that because one of the bolt on the strut tower bolt is broken, one wheel stud is broken, horn has been taken out and no harness left in the car, SRS light is on, aftermarket radiator, and JDM front end. I begin to believe them now. The questions for you all is...
Since the broken bolt on the strut tower bar is part of the body, what would you do...I was thinking about welding another bolt to the body so that I won't have a bolt missing..what do you think? Any idea?
Then with CARFAX....I pulled the car fax report on the car before I purchased it, and CARFAX guarantee up to $5000 that it is accurate. Since now I find out it has been wrecked..I am really mad. How could I qualify to get my money from CARFAX? Thanks a lot....by the way I am still enjoying the car so much..I am always walking so fast toward the car when I am going home from work like I can't wait to drive..He he.He..
Thanks much!
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

I thought it was the law that a dealership has to release any info if the car had been wreked and repaired. thats the law in hawaii and nevada. that is for new cars so it may not apply to used cars. Any way ask them if you get a three month or 3000 mile warranty? most used cars come with some kind of warranty. did you buy it at a major dealership or a small lot? as
far as the bolt is concerned get an estamint on what it would cost to have a new bolt welded on. I once took my strut tower bar off my 00 si and it was real hard to get back on so maybe if the frame isint straight they could have cut the bolt off to make the strut bar fit. just a thought. again
if it is a major dealership they should make your car safety check passable
and fix your SRS and horn.
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
3_diamond
New ITRCA Member

Post by 3_diamond »

I bought it from Mazda dealership in Roswell. Not very big dealer.
I get the remaining factory warranty.
My SRS has been fixed by Acura Dealer yesterday under warranty.
But the horn is missing so Acura is not covering it under warranty.
Plus they should have given me inspection in the first place huh?
Anyway, what should I do to claim my money from CARFAX?
Tell me what I should do...