Bolt-ons, tuning 186.5whp

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
SurferX
New ITRCA Member

Bolt-ons, tuning 186.5whp

Post by SurferX »

Comptech Icebox (stock airhose)
HyTech header-cat-exhaust system

Tuning was done with cam gears, VAFC, and FPR.

One thing I want to say is that Skunk2 cam gears suck for accuracy. Aries at Dynamic Autosports degreed them and found one gear to be 2 degrees advanced while the other was 1 degree retarded when the gears were set at 0. I could say okay printing error if both were off the same amount but for them to be that inconsistant is just bad.

On the fuel side, my car ran pretty rich. Fuel was boosted with the VAFC a little from 5000-5700 RPM to accomadate earlier VTEC engagement but then needed leaning out the whole rest of the way.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

so 178 before tuning with Icebox and Hytech Header and exhaust?

186 is a great number from your mods. I am at 179.0 and need to do a some serious tuning (next weekend) but I am still on a stock exhaust and JDM 4-1.

Makes me want a Hytech :)
SurferX
New ITRCA Member

Post by SurferX »

Yes 178 before the VAFC, FPR, and cam gears were touched.

I'm hoping to make 200whp on the stock cams or if need be Toda A's. I think a Hondata is going to be in order as modification of the ignition timing throughout the powerband I think will help alot. A mild port job is another thing I'm considering.
SpoonRSX
New ITRCA Member

Post by SpoonRSX »

Shoulda got the toda cam gears. Dynamic does a great job with thier vafc tuning. Good numbers with your mods!
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

I doubt you can hit 200 with the stock cams and your setup. It will be very close but not quite. Pic is not working?
Chris N
Site Admin

Post by Chris N »

B2FiNiTY wrote:I doubt you can hit 200 with the stock cams and your setup. It will be very close but not quite. Pic is not working?
Several people are making 200whp on stock cams, no?

George Knighton could have had 200 peak whp on his stock cammed-R, but he chose to live with 192-3 peak and tons more midrange....
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Depending on which dyno of course. When you get higher lets say 192 peak like George, it gets harder and harder to make more power. Not to mention expensive.
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

B2FiNiTY wrote:Depending on which dyno of course. When you get higher lets say 192 peak like George, it gets harder and harder to make more power. Not to mention expensive.
I agree with that. The TypeR comes so fine tuned it is really hard to make more power outta her. Well you can make well over 200whp on stock cams.......(TURBO :twisted: ) But N/A I tend to think it is very hard without spending some mad money and not doing no internal work (pistons, rods etc.) Anyway great numbers and let me know if you prove me wrong with your WHP goal...
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

This is with stock cams.

I'm really pretty sure we could go over 200 if we wanted, without having to blow or break open the bottom end.

As it's tuned now, however, the car's an awesome thing to have on the street, and very easy to drive on the track.

If we went for 200 HP, it wouldn't be as fun in the midrange, where it often counts.