Apexi World Sport Damper coilovers

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
98ITR785
New ITRCA Member

Apexi World Sport Damper coilovers

Post by 98ITR785 »

Anybody have this setup on their ITR or heard anything good/bad about it? It's priced quite a bit lower than other complete coilover setups and am curious how it compares to stock. It retails just over $1000 and it's being sold for between $800-$900 at most places.

Thanks,
Tony Alvarez
98 ITR
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I have heard they are a little too soft. Look into some Zeal Function B2's Right at $1100 and top notch.
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

I've seen better performance out of stock type r suspension!!
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
98ITR785
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98ITR785 »

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check out the Zeal kit and also see what else is available. Any other suggesions on complete coilover setups in the lower price ranges (up to $1200)? I don't race the car... I just live on some really curvy (and damn fun) mountain roads and would like to drop the car's center of gravity a bit.

Thanks,
Tony Alvarez
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Bilstein PSS9, H&R, Tanabe, Koni, Zeal, Endless, Apex-i, Eibach, Tien, and I'm sure there are plenty more, I just can't think of any more off the top of my head. Pretty much all the companies I mentioned sell coilovers in the range you mentioned. Just look into it, and do your homework, don't just go surfing on the boards to ask a bunch of kids, who consider taking an offramp really fast, a good use for coilover suspension.

Go to a local road race track on a race day, and go ask every single Honda that you see there, what they are running for suspension, and see what they think, and what they have to say, because more then likely they're tried more then one setup, and have pushed the limits a lot farther than most guys on the street, not to mention, they are a lot more likely to give you an honset answer, not just tell you how good their stuff is.

Good luck!
Aj
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

If you say so

Post by Aj »

paul98itr wrote:I've seen better performance out of stock type r suspension!!
I find that very difficult to belive, especially as on our race car, we've tried both the Apex-i world sport and then ellected to upgrade to the N1, but the difference between the world sport and the stock suspension was night and day. Where did you see better performance out of stock R suspension, and could you get me some of what ever you were smoking when you saw it?

Any true coilover system made by a reputable company, that is properly corner weighted and balanced will handle substancially better then the stock suspension.

And by the way, in my opinion, for a street car, that sometimes makes it to autoX's, those coilovers are just fine, and yes a little soft, too much so for a race car, but on the street, it won't kill your back after a few blocks, and still handle turns and traffic pretty damn well.

Just make sure you find someone with some Longacre scales or other quality car scales to corner weight your car, which should run you any where from like 250-400 dollars depending on the shop and how long it takes them, whoch you'll only ever need to do once, unless you decide to change your ride height, at which time you'll need to redo it, so make sure you get it right the first time.

Later!
Aj
Trey
Site Admin

Re: If you say so

Post by Trey »

Aj wrote: for a street car, that sometimes makes it to autoX's, those coilovers are just fine, and yes a little soft, too much so for a race car, but on the street, it won't kill your back after a few blocks, and still handle turns and traffic pretty damn well.
good point. You could probably handle higher rates on the street without discomfort but still we tend to get carried away with things and go overboard.
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

Aj you are right, the ws would be great for street w// occasinal autocross. However I wasn't smooking anything when a saw this article. On the skid pad, it only did .01 better than stock specs. I dont know how creddible the driver of the car was though.
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Skid pad really doesn't tell you anything, other then how well your tires grip.

It's lap times that are the real descisioning factor.

Later!
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I have the WS and the stock suspension was better. They felt tighter in corners. I don't auto X but I hit every turn hard as hell. I know for a fact that they are alot loser. Don't get me wrong I love them. It's like there soft on the way coming of a bumper, too not fuck a rim up but on the way down the don't feel like a cadi. I didn't like how stiff the stock ones were, the were hell on my back driven my R from Miami to Shreveport, LA. I think there not bad for the price.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Erik B wrote:I have the WS and the stock suspension was better. They felt tighter in corners.
Then you have not had them properly adjusted by some one knows what they are doing, take them to a shop that has teh capability to corner weight the, and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes.

Just having the coilovers, and actually using them properly are totaly different. If not adjusted properly, all they are is a set of springs sitting on threaded struts, that look kool.

Get them adjusted, then tell us what you think.....