Needing to re-key the R...

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
OSG 97 ITR
New ITRCA Member

Needing to re-key the R...

Post by OSG 97 ITR »

One of keys was stolen when my place got broken into. I went to a local Acura to have my car rekeyed. I got quoted $850 for the whole car to be rekeyed :x ! Outside of the labor cost, they were telling me that they needed to change the entire ignition switch. It's a 97 so it doesn't have an immobilizer. I asked why they couldn't just re-key the ignition. Their explanation was that Acura sent a memo to all dealers saying that rekeying the ignition switch causes potential mechanical problems within the next few months. So they're required to switch the whole thing out. How valid is this, or should I just take my car to the auto-locksmith? Anyone have their R re-keyed have any probs? Let me know. Thanks.
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

re-keying IMHO isnt a DIY job...but check other dealerships (like a honda dealership) that might offer it cheaper. Build a garage with a dead bolt <---my .02
'98 Integra Type R #363
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

its about 75 per key to re-ID
swed
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Re: Needing to re-key the R...

Post by Dave-ROR »

Personally, I just went to the junkyard and got all the locks from another car then got keys from mazda when I rekeyed one of my old rx7s.. I think total cost was ~70-80.

Dunno what $$ you could get the integra parts for though.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Splitime
New ITRCA Member

Keys

Post by Splitime »

I'm with ROR on this. Goto a junkyard and just buy the locks and ignition and if you are lucky a key. Record the vin, even bring it with you off the dash or something and relay your issue to a dealership, if they are nice you might be able to get keys made. You'd need the key cylinders from the doors, trunk and the ignition module (you'll need a dremel or hack saw to notch the rivets to remove this).

G'luck.
OSG 97 ITR
New ITRCA Member

Post by OSG 97 ITR »

I didn't think about going to the junkyard. Awesome idea. I'm gonna give it a go this weekend.