Dull Paint Problem, solution??

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
5-Lug
New ITRCA Member

Dull Paint Problem, solution??

Post by 5-Lug »

Hey guys, I got a 98 ITR and I've noticed that mainly on the rear quarter panels the paint is kinda dull. It looks like there's some drip marks also (wouldn't see them unless you know they're there), almost like hard water stains or something you see on a bathtub, like you can kinda see drip marks when the light hits it right. I've washed, I've waxed and I even used Mother's clay bar and another wax and they are still there. I was thinking of using like some CLR cleaning solution or something to try and get rid of the dull drip marks. But would that hurt the paint at all does anyone know? Or anybody have any ideas?
jdm cw type r
ITRCA Member

Post by jdm cw type r »

dude try wet sanding i had dull spots on my quarter panel and doors i got it wet sanded and it came out perfect just make sure you have somebody who knows what they are doing..
Yes it's a real type r!!!
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

I would not wetsand anything on the car.

If you have stains on the paint, you need to do a chemical wash- much safer on the paint then taking it off.

Try Body Scrub from megirurs (sp?) use with some hard pressure, just might work- If you want do the whole car with it- look amazing ( but will take you a long time if done properly) also their ScratchX is nice to bring up the shine after.

Yes there is more exspensive and better stuff, but for a quick thing and easy to find... one of the better.
swed
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

I would never wet sand my car either. :shock:

Best to clay bar it, polish and wax it. See if that helps any.
Skills
New ITRCA Member

Post by Skills »

was your car in a previous accident? one of my old cars was kinda like that paint was great all around but there was one area on the car that was a little darker. the reason that it was darker was because that area had damage to it and the previous owner had the damage fixed or they fixed it and had the area repainted. diddnt do a very good prep job though and got darker and darker and darker and it turned pinkish around it until the area was almost a burgandy spot on a bright red car.

ryan
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

Use Meguiars #9 Swirl Mark Remover. It is perfect for the kind of paint problem you describe, after trying clay unsuccessfully. It is slightly abrasive, which is what you need to buff off that dull finish - but it's fine enough that it will leave the finish smooth and shiny, without the need for any additional compounds (just remember to wax over it when you're done).
5-Lug
New ITRCA Member

Post by 5-Lug »

Cool guys thanks for the replies. I'll try that Meguiars #9 swirl mark remover. It wasn't in an accident, just kinda looks like water stain drip marks or something. Thanks again.

-Jeremy
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

Just to let you know - look very closely at those water drip marks. It's possible they're something on the surface, which should buff off easily. But it's also possible that they're etched into the paint. This happens sometimes when it rains and there are beads of water sitting on the finish and the sun comes out, and the beads magnify the sun and they etch the edges into the paint. If that happened, it's going to be a b*tch to get out. Look closely and you can usually tell whether or not it's actually etched/pitted into the paint.

Good luck! And let us know how it comes out.
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

i had similar paint issues on my 98 GSR at first
i swear the car looked like it went thru a damn sand storm when i bought it. BUT! i gave it a good old real hardcore, arm numbing, back punishing 5 hour wax job, no joke. I was outside for a total of 5 hours waxing the piss out of this car and now its totally beautiful, i can see my self like a mirror in the paint and its a black car :)

you just need to use some muscle! :wink:
GOB
New ITRCA Member

Post by GOB »

Try some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (make sure to do small areas and remove right away) and follow this with a coat of wax from One Grand and I guarantee your car will look like new. Plan on spending 10 hours to do it properly on the entire car.
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

GOB wrote:Try some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a show car glaze. It is made for car shows. It fills in any cracks and swirl marks. But it only does so on a temporary basis - it will wash off the first time you wash the car.