Suspension- Springs... Advice?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Asian G
ITRCA Member

Suspension- Springs... Advice?

Post by Asian G »

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of dropping the height of my R. I had checked out the Tein S- Tech Performance Springs. I have buddy who has the whole coilover kit with the damping force system and loves it. At the time, my pockets aren't heavy enough to pick up on the whole system, so I though that I would ask opinions on if it'll be a good move to take to slightly lower the ride. It'll drop 2.6 Front and 1.7 Back, which sould look good, and not take away to much performance, but help out. The Tein's only cost, $172 & I have a good buddy who is a ASE Mechanic who will help me install the springs and will help teach me how to install the whole system properly- **without fucking Up****- hope not 2. lol. :lol:

So if U guys could help advice me on what's up with the whole deal, if it's a good basic move to make? Is it a good investment for about a year or two until I upgrade? Let me know. Thanks..........

At the time being, I'm packed with a Custom Intake, JDM Header, JDM Hi-flow Cat, and 2.5 in Apexi Cat Back Exhaust, tunned by an AEM EMS. I'm running great and hoping to slightly improve on da dynamics of my R as well!

Brian
#330R-01
shivers
Site Admin

Post by shivers »

The factory suspension on an ITR is really, really good. Don't mess with it.
2005 s2000
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Tony is right.

Olathe huh? That's where Budman lives and where I picked my R up from.
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Those springs usually can be found for $135-145 shipped.

Very soft and mild. Not comparable at all to your friend's full system but they are good for just the look.
Asian G
ITRCA Member

PY

Post by Asian G »

Trey wrote:Tony is right.

Olathe huh? That's where Budman lives and where I picked my R up from.
Hey Trey,

What's up? Yep, good O'l O-town, I've cruised by and have caught Budman a couple of times around town for a few years now, he's cool as shit! He invited me out once to Topeka 2 watch Jim and Him take on da Road Course during the Porsche Meet weekend- which was very impressive.

So are their any type of basic spring kits equal or better than stock? Or is the whole idea not worth messing up the whole stock geometry? Trying to gain a bit more & not lose 2 much. Thanks......

Brian
#330R - 01
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

keep the factory ITR setup... its a better overall setup than the Tein Springs... I'd save until you can do a full coilover setup. My $.02

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

Brian - wait until you can get a couple of track events under your belt. Otherwise you won't have any idea how REALLY GOOD the stock setup is.

Why else do you think I haven't switched until right now? :wink: see sig - you know how well my kaa ran at the Porsche event! :lol:
Asian G
ITRCA Member

Post by Asian G »

8) Cool, thanks guys! Trust me, I love my stock handling ability. Thanks for letting me know about the thoughts.

Hey Budman, what new susp. setup are u coming out with this spring? Can't wait 2 C it in action. I think that I'll be ready to hit da track. I'm still working out some tranny issues with the syncro's- trying to get the darn Acura dealer to warranty my 3rd Gear. But for the mean time, I'm all ready with a new clutch, plate and new stickies. Plus I'm also working on trying 2 pick up on a Laptop for my AEM EMS.

Thanks guys for all your advice!!!!! :D

C Ya out dis Spring. I'll be out there at the Expo, still working on saving some money.

Anyways, one more thing, how much would I need to save for the whole Expo trip between 3-4 people?

Brian
RunningOnMT
New ITRCA Member

ITR springs

Post by RunningOnMT »

My apology to Brian (#330ITR) for butting in on his thread.
I like to hear some opinions on the effectiveness of the ITR springs. I have set of Neuspeed Koni shocks that I'm thinking about pairing up with Comptech sports springs. I got them for the mild drop 1.3"; however, I haven't heard anything good or bad about them. Do you guys (or gals) think the ITR springs on the middle perch (seems stronger/larger than the other four) will give better performance with approximately the same drop (maybe 1.5") on my GSR? I'm not familiar with the springs rates of either one and if the difference in valving between the Neuspeeds, showroom stocks, regular yellows, etc. will come into play. Will the ITR springs be stiff enough to stay off the bumpstops and soft enough not to tear up my spine? Please include other factors that will effect handling and ride quality.
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

ITR springs and comptech springs are similar. I don't recall the comptech spring rates but they are soft enough if you get serious about track/auto-x or just the handling of your car you will probably want to change them.

Comptech is one of the few spring options I have seen that are driver/passenger side specific. Due to different spring rates to compensate for driver weight is best guess why they do that.
01ir#864
New ITRCA Member

in olathe too

Post by 01ir#864 »

hey would should go out racing sometime i have a yellow 01 #864 i live
off of *xxth* and *another road* in *random* apts. hit me up sometime if you want to cruise *phone number removed*

*edited for the cars safety and your insurance premiums*
opie
ITRCA Member

Re: in olathe too

Post by opie »

01ir#864 wrote:hey would should go out racing sometime i have a yellow 01 #864 i live
off of *xxth* and *another road* in *random* apts. hit me up sometime if you want to cruise *phone number removed*

Don't ever post any personal info on this site. Thieves are everywhere.
e r i c s 9 9 s i
ITRCA Member

Post by e r i c s 9 9 s i »

OPIE112 wrote:Don't ever post any personal info on this site. Thieves are everywhere.
No kidding... Specially being a R owner... Hopefully you won't have any un-expected guess from that short post... Also another word advice (maybe I'm just paranoid) but meeting up with new friends also, I wouldn't tell them where you live either until you've hung out with them for a while and know they're not gonna stab you... Protected the Collectors Itemed R.

SirromMotorsports.com Online Performance

1999 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Built '99 JDM ITR Swap - 221whp / 149tq
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

01ir#864 wrote:hey would should go out racing sometime i have a yellow 01 #864 i live

#330ITR is getting a few people together here soon in the same area. contact him if you're interested. He'll send me an email & I'll show up if it's nice.

***PLEASE don't give out information like you did in your original post..."stealth" is a good thing - ESPECIALLY when you live in appartments.
01ir#864
New ITRCA Member

Post by 01ir#864 »

thanks for looking out 1 i have a garage a never park outside 2 i got the windows etch if its stolen ill get $$$ for a down payment a new car anyway not that i dont like my car but my finance is on my tail to get something more practical anyway with a baby on the way
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

no need to change the suspension on the R from stock, unless you have got at least $1300+ to spend on a good set of coilovers. Otherwise, you'll just mess up a good thing. I know how it is though, i would love to have a lower ride height but im not going to settle for less. jm2c
'98 Integra Type R #363
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

"no need to change the suspension on the R from stock, unless you have got at least $1300+ to spend on a good set of coilovers. Otherwise, you'll just mess up a good thing."

Well said, I have seen alot of Rs on the track and the suspension is very very good. I myself have the stock suspension and feel its just right from the factory- Yes it can be better but like 98cwitr said,,, Unless you have the cash don't bother, the gains will be only min.
swed