Anyone get the same thing?????

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Anyone get the same thing?????

Post by Aj »

This is also posted in the NA forum, hoping someone in either has had the same issue.

Well, don't get me wrong, I've built my fair share of Honda motors, and heard all sorts of strange noises, but, in my car, I've had this strange tick, ever since I went into the head, It almost sounds like the normal ticking that Hondas make, but a lot louder, it almost sounds like injectors that are twice as loud as normal.

In order to get the tick to stop, I replaced, the springs, retainers, rockers, V-tech plungers, the actual head it self, the valves, valve guides and seals, the pistons, and the rods, and to be totaly honest, I can't think of what else it could be???????

The only things I didn't switch were the cams and cam gears, though I thought that that might be the problem, I thought back, and the same noise was being made before I put in the cams and cam gears.

For the life of me, I really have no idea what it is, What I think it is, is just the fact that a stiffer valve train tends to make more noise, and that the valves are just hitting the head a little harder due to the stiffness of the springs and thats what is causing the noise?????

I was thinking of going to a fourty weight oil, and seeing if maybe a thicker oil provided a little more lubrication, and would get rid of the tick. I runs fast as hell, so don't get me wrong, I havn't had any problems with performance, I just dont want to be rebuilding it again.

If anyone has this same symptom, please, put up a post, and if you know what it is, and have successfully fixed the problem, let me know.

To narrow it down for you guys a little, I did the valves twice to make sure, and the cams that I'm running are the skunk2 stage-2.

Later,
Aj
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

No problem like that here.

Spell VTEC right ;)
alex b
New ITRCA Member

Post by alex b »

i think trey should change his sig to: " Spell V-TEC right :wink: "
hehe :)

back to the question though..

i havent had any experience with b-series motors and cams. but just for reference my uncle's 98 cobra made the same noise after he replaced the stock valvetrain with aftermarket stuff. i honestly dont think there is any need to worry about reliability.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Trey wrote:No problem like that here.

Spell VTEC right ;)
Oops...

Hey, Trey, your not running aftermarket cams though, are you????
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Nope, I am runing stock cams (although intake is a 2001 cam)