Headlights effecting idle

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Dev
ITRCA Member

Headlights effecting idle

Post by Dev »

When I run my headlights, my idle kicks up a bit. I get an increse from 500-750 to right around a thousand, and it stays steady until I turn off the lights. Seems normal enough but I dont remember this happening before 15,000. Is this normal behavior or should I start seeking a drain on alt. or batt.

any science appreciated, Dev
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well, your car shouldn't be idling as low as 500 from the start, so that sounds like a whole different problem, the fact that your lights drain some power, probably isn't helping the situation any though either.

Good luck with it....
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

Where should the factory set idle be, 750, and if I am low is it a pain to adjust?

please help! see ya
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The cars ussualy like to be in the 700-750 range. If you want to raise it some, make sure you unplug the IAC, then using the flat head screw on the top of the TB, turning it counter clockwise will raise it, then shut off the car, plug the IAC back in, and then pull the terminals to reset the ECU, or jsut unplug the ecu if you dont want to loose your present radio stations like me.

Make sure you mark where it was, this way if you screw up, you can always put it back.

To me it does sound like your idle is to low though.

Later!
Aj
Dev
ITRCA Member

lights vs.idle

Post by Dev »

Sounds easy enough, thanks. But, do you think that the raise in idle while the lights are on is a problem, or is this just the normal run of things?
I dont really want to take it to the dealership, they are just a pain.

dev
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Well if it's actually still under warranty, I'd definitely take it to them. If not , No I don't think it's a problem, with your car idling that low, the alternator just isn't spining fast enough to generate the needed power for what ever your running plus your head lights. This way, when you raise your idle, it will bump up your alternator speed, and you won't notice it any longer, because the amount it goes up wil be negligable.

The same way your idle goes up when your ac goes on, is the same thing thats happening, it just sounds to me like your idle is too low. Have you ever changed it from factory??????

Later,
Dev
ITRCA Member

Post by Dev »

It is under warranty, and I have never changed the idle. I hooked up a dwell meter and my idle hold very steady at 725-750 so there really isn't an idle problem, Its just the 1000rpm idle when the lights are on that bothers me. Ill take it to Acura and see what they say

Thanks for your help, you guys rock!

Dev