jrsc intercooler and boost pulley

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

jrsc intercooler and boost pulley

Post by fredtoast »

Anyone have any experience with the JRSC liquid intercooler? If I install one do I still need the boost timing controller? What kind of gains can I expect? Also, how will a cooler thermostat and plugs affect my performance and dependability? Finally, does anyone know where I can get a pulley to increase the boost on my JRSC. They don't list one for the ITR.
98-0658
98ITR785
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98ITR785 »

Hey Fredtoast,

There's a boost upgrade kit for the JRSC (Type R) at the following link:

http://www.modacar.com/products/Acura/Integra/MODAFOIN/

By the way, do you already have the JRSC installed on your car? If so, how do you like it? I'm debating about adding it to my car.

Regards,
Tony Alvarez
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

I've put over 20,000 miles on my jrsc, and I love it. The high output fuel pump comes with the supercharger. The Map controller, and boost timing controller are pretty much necessary. Everything else on my car is stock except an AEM cold air intake. All together it gives a big boost in power from the bottom to the top. I drive it hard, and my gas milage only dropped about 2 MPG.

I chose the supercharger over a turbo system because I was working on a daily driver. If you're building a race car and planning on really high boost a turbocharger may be the better choice.
98-0658
98ITR785
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98ITR785 »

Thanks for the info Fredtoast. You anticipated my next question which was fuel economy... I drive the car about 15,000 miles per year so that is definitely a factor.

Tony
01 ITR #616
New ITRCA Member

Post by 01 ITR #616 »

I have a BTC for sale if you are interested. Brand new in the the box and never been used. E-mail me at stale1@cox.net FYI I'm in the So Cal San Diego area.
Sorry for this post, just read your other one. You already have one. If you plan on increasing your boost then I would suggest the Hondata. I have no experience with it but thougt that it made good sense. Check out their website and what they have to say about the JRSC. No need for the V-AFC with that and you probably get rid of the BTC as well. I had the V-AFC on my supercharged Civic. It is really hard to find someone who really knows how to tune them on the dyno. Well, good luck with either way that you go.
Drive it like you rented it!
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The liquid intercooler, is exactly that, it actually shoots a fine mist of water into your supercharger to cool in down, it's a cool idea, and i've seen it work, I think I'd just be a bit paranoid to actually use water in my intake.

As far as the boost timing controller goes, the purpose of that is to retard the ignition when you get on the boost, the reason for this, is that running on pump gas with very high compression ussualy at 16 degrees of timing(stock) will at the very least cause your car to ping, if not detonate. It ussualy is safe to run higher compression at about 14 degrees of timing. Or you can just run higher octane gas all the time, which can get very expensive, assuming they even sell 100 octane any where close by.

As far as a smaller pulley goes, you can buy it directly from Jackson Racing you just need to call, and in addition, they will also tell you how you should be running it, as far as what else you need to do in order to keep i from going boom. I think they step you up from a 6lb pulley to an 8lb pulley, which actually does make a substancial difference, they'll give you a list of additional parts which you need to add when you call.

When it comes to thermostat, buying a name brand thermostat serves no purpose, what we do on all our race cars, is just cut the center spring section of it out, this way, the coolant can flow freely in your car. The only reason not to do this, is if you live in a very cold climate, at that, it will take a very long time for your car to warm up, but if you live somewhere where it doesn't snow frequently, then I'd say just cut it ouy, just remember to leave the seal in place.

The only time you need cooler plugs is if you've added 80+ HP, which with a charger you probably did, if not, you will with a larger pulley. The rule of thumb, as it was explained to me, with every 100-150whp you add to a car, you should go at least one heat range cooler, especially if you are going significantly up in compression.

Hope this helped, later!!!
Aj
fredtoast
ITRCA Member

Post by fredtoast »

Thanks for the info, Aj. I've read a lot of your posts, and you seem very knowledgible. I'm mainly interested in what kind of cam set up to run with my jrsc. I believe that you recommend Jun type 2 intake cam, but I've been getting a lot of different opinions. I'm not a total noob, but tuning cams to run with a supercharger is over my head. Where can I go to read and research this subject myself? Do you know of any magazine articles or tech manuals on this?
98-0658
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Not really, I havn't done really any research with regards to a JRSC, I'm basing most of what I said on what I know about turbo applications.

Good luck on your search.....

Aj