how do i clean my engine?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Jason Moon
New ITRCA Member

how do i clean my engine?

Post by Jason Moon »

which parts of the engine do i have to cover? im planning to do with degreasers and water. nothing special like steam cleaners. just plain water, degreaser, and maybe some soap :D

also, whats a good degreaser thats not expensive but effective?
B( * Y * )BIES
New ITRCA Member

Post by B( * Y * )BIES »

basic things; make sure the fuse box is closed and sealed, some people cover the distributer, if you have an itake with the filter exposed in the engine bay you will want to have that covered. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

some people just go to a DIY (Do It Yourself) pressure wash type place, pre-wet the engine bay - don't soak it, spray some Simple Green (stuff works good for me) over the areas you want to clean up, let it sit for a moment then use the pressure washer to wash it off - repeat if not satisfied the 1st time around.
shivers
Site Admin

Post by shivers »

Just use plain soap (Dawn) and water. Use simple green for the tougher stuff.
2005 s2000
Bbasso
Post Whore!!

Post by Bbasso »

Honestly I never cover anything, Just make sure that everything is closed tight- Oil cap, Distributor and stuff like that.

I go to those do-it-yourself carwashes with a spray bottle of Simple Green and a toilet brush. Spray the simple green every where then brush and if you see a extra dirty spot repeat then start motor and rinse it clean. I have done it this way 20+ times and never once a problem and always clean.

Good luck
swed
opie
ITRCA Member

Post by opie »

I use a 2 step cleaner and protectant that I bought @ Napa. You run your engine until it's begun to warm up then soak it in the degreaser every where (cover the distributor and battery with a plastic bag) let it sit then rinse with a hose and towel dry off so as to eliminate any chance of rust. Then if you wanna bling it you spray on the engine re-Blingafier spray that shines all your hoses and plastic pieces :? .

I only use the degreaser I do it often,and never a problem here :wink:

-You can substitute simple green or another all purpose degreaser istead of the Napa bought stuff I use

-Opie
LT6916
New ITRCA Member

Post by LT6916 »

tape a bag around the distributor and alternator (if you can get in there), cover the filter if exposed in the engine bay.

I recommend GUNK engine bay degreaser. It sticks to surfaces and begins to foam up, this allows you to use a low pressure water hose to easily rinse it off so water won't get into areas like under the spark plug boots, fuse boxes, etc. Plus, it conditions hoses at the same time.
94 Integra GSR - RIP 05/05/05
93 MR2 turbo

USAF
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

You have to get the foaming one. The non foaming isn't half as great.
98 Supercharged R
New ITRCA Member

Post by 98 Supercharged R »

bbasso wrote:Honestly I never cover anything, Just make sure that everything is closed tight- Oil cap, Distributor and stuff like that.

I go to those do-it-yourself carwashes with a spray bottle of Simple Green and a toilet brush. Spray the simple green every where then brush and if you see a extra dirty spot repeat then start motor and rinse it clean. I have done it this way 20+ times and never once a problem and always clean.

Good luck
Same here,I just pressure wash mine and have done it with a couple other cars i've had
98 championship white type r
JR supercharged 8psi
itrdc244
New ITRCA Member

Post by itrdc244 »

its simple cover batt distributor cam gears if exposed power wash that simple :shock: :!:
JOHN