WINTER tires for the Type R?? what should i use?

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

WINTER tires for the Type R?? what should i use?

Post by Azcheron »

im using the stock 15 inch wheels and for current tires i have Falken Azenis, obviously not a winter tire, sooooo

what should i get for winter tires? i want a somewhat cheap but good winter tire, im gonna put them on all 4 rims.
PY 01-0972
ITRCA Member

Post by PY 01-0972 »

http://www.tirerack.com should be able to help
01 py #972
03 si vivid blue
00 si milano red-stolen
97 accord green lx
95 accord green ex
since 1995
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

Well, at this point you really shouldn't need them for another 8-9 months (even in Boston or Chicago), but...

There are basically two kinds of winter tires:

a. Tires that are superb on ice and snow, and so-so for ride and traction when the temperatures warm up. These include the Michelin Arctic Alpin and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50, and typically cost $80-90 per tire.

b. Tires that are pretty good on ice and snow (although not as good as those above), and better for ride and traction when the temperatures warm up. These include the Michelin Pilot Alpin and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, and typically cost $105-115 per tire.

All four of these tires come in the stock size of 195/55-15 and fit on the stock ITR rim.

Someone who lives in Boston or Chicago or wants them as an absolute guarantee of getting where you're going in even the worst conditions might want to get one of the tires in category (a), while someone who cares about ride quality and/or lives in a moderate winter climate like St. Louis or Washington DC might go with category (b).

You can check out comparison test results on the Tire Rack website. They compared the Arctic Alpin against the WS-50 and found that the Michelin was slightly better for ride quality, the Blizzak slightly better for grip on ice.
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

thanks! i had blizzaks on my probe gt and it handled like a champ in the snow....

i have wintermark or something like that on my GSR now and they also were pretty good and have the longest life ive ever seen on a snow... i had for 2 winters and i swear it looks like i barely used them
Champ R
ITRCA Member

Post by Champ R »

If you do a lot of highway driving, I would suggest the LM-22's. Ive been using those for 2 years now, and they handle the worst of snow (i live in a lake-effect snow belt near cleveland) and actually provide good dry-wet traction. They come with a higher speed rating than the other more aggressive snow tires, so they ride much better at highway speeds.
CW 98 #805
Azcheron
New ITRCA Member

Post by Azcheron »

champ r, did u meant to say they handle well in snow? u said worst
nsxtasy
ITRCA Member

Post by nsxtasy »

Azcheron wrote:champ r, did u meant to say they handle well in snow? u said worst
He said they handle the worst OF snow - meaning that they can be driven in the worst snow and they handle it just fine.
.RJ
New ITRCA Member

Post by .RJ »

<--- michelen pilot alpins on my stock wheels.

They're really nice, although Va doesnt get a ton of snow.
itr341
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr341 »

Got some pirelli winter tires for sale if you interested
hmfl
New ITRCA Member

winter tires

Post by hmfl »

i'm in california and have been using dunlop sp 5000 asymmetrics.
They seem to work well...i still need to put on chains in real deep snow.
it is an all season tire.
bbqman
Canadian Director

Post by bbqman »

In case this can help. In Montreal we use real winter tires and last year, i used the Hankook W300 195/55r15 Ice Bear and it was top notch.

All the other tires listed earlier in this thread are awesome too, but a bit more pricey.
The Sp5000 dunlops unfortunately won't get you out of your driveway here in Montreal once winter hits.