exhaust question

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

exhaust question

Post by itr2k587 »

would an aftermarket exhaust for an LS fit a Type R?
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Re: exhaust question

Post by Justin Klemgold »

itr2k587 wrote:would an aftermarket exhaust for an LS fit a Type R?
Yes, it will fit perfectly.
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2k587 »

thanks so much! if i get the JDM style 4-1 header made by DC sports, do i need a different cat? if so where could i get a high flow cat for this setup?
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Yes you will need a different cat....that has a 2.5 inch collector on it so you will want a 2.5" high flow cat...I strongly recommend SMSP. Go to Honda-tech.com and sign up and PM the screen name SMSP. I got my high flow cat from him. Excellent excellent seller and he welds on the heatshields so they will never rattle.

Count on that costing you around 200 clams....you'll want to tell him you want the JDM donut in order for it to hookup to your header properly. I got a DC JDM header, 2.5" high flow cat, and 2.5" exhaust....you'll want a 2.5" exhaust by the way so as not to restrict flow...

Again, on honda-tech, a lot of people recommend kteller....do some searches and you'll find his website and he can hook you up with a custom 2.5" exhaust for cheaper than those fancy named exhausts....you basically pay for the name with those.

If you want to go all out, get a Hytech or SMSP setup. In a few years, I'll be upgrading to SMSP's setup with some Hondata tuning...George Knighton who is a member here, hit 191 whp with just bolt ons and tuning...quite amazing if you ask me, but by no means a rarity.

Good luck!
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2k587 »

can anyone tell me the length of the cat ill need?
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

itr2k587 wrote:can anyone tell me the length of the cat ill need?
It will be the same length since you have the same length exhaust. I believe the stock ITR cat measures 18 inches. All you have to do is IM SMSP and tell him your setup and he will get the proper cat to your door.
itr2k587
New ITRCA Member

Post by itr2k587 »

well i can get a cat much much cheaper than $200. So youre saying the only difference is the inlet/outlet diameter?
Justin Klemgold
ITRCA Member

Huh? You want the 2.5" highflow cat with the 2.5" flanges.....remember, cheaper doesn't always mean better...they're cheaper for a reason...