Hey Aj or anyone else...B20 v-tec Qestion

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Hey Aj or anyone else...B20 v-tec Qestion

Post by TypeRPaul »

Here's how it fiannaly shakes down, decided to keep my b18c5 completely in tackt and see about building an entirely diff engine. It will cost more but i think i will get the results i want out of it. My question is where should i start? i know i need a b20 longblock and a b16a head, other than that im kinda stuck, will the b20 crank work what pistons to run 12.0 :1 compression will i be able to stroke it or bore it? what the hell do those even mean?....lol im lost but i know that i want to pick up th TQ that this setup will give me any idea would be helpful
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

B20 help!!!!!

Post by Aj »

Well, if your building a seperate motor, I would advise you to start with a B-series block, they're all very close to the same, and have it re-sleaved to a larger bore diameter. The B20 is just too involving, you need a lot of other stuff to get it to run right, such as: Crank, rods, pistons, water pump, oil pump, extra oil lines, and redo some of the oil passages. With that all said, you can use either a B16 or B18 block, and only have to change the sleeves and pistons, not to mention a much higher reliability factor.

Boreing means to be without some thing to do......ha ha ha, jk
it means to enlarge the diameter of the cylinders, ussulay done by line boring, where the block is placed in a specialy designed machine that almost looks like a drill press, and punches out the sleeves.

As far as stroking goes, you basically change the rod length, in addition to crank angle, this is ussualy not something that I would advise for a street car, as it is very infrequently done correctly, and even when it is, it ussualy causes all sorts of premature wear or other problems.

The ratio of 12:1 is basically the amount of air compression per amount of fuel, the more the air is compressed, the more horse power.

If you're looking for torque, go turbo, if you're looking for HP and a crazy rev range then go all motor. You'd be surprised the amount of torque you can make on a relatively stock, properly built motor. Some pistons, cams, springs and retainers, and you can get a pretty fair amount of power.

In any case, if you want a cool 2.0liter build up, email me, and I'll run one togather for you, but the whole 2 liter, ussualy is a bit over kill.

Later!
Aj
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeRPaul »

hey thanks Aj ur always coming through for me with the answers. anyways ya i dont just want a cool 2.0l build up i want the 2.0l build up u know what i mean...i want as crazy a setup as i can get with stayin at 91 pump octane(damn CA!) anyways my email is sjccpjp5@aol.com thanks man!
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
ITR 98 1162
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITR 98 1162 »

Is there anything wrong with your stock engine at the moment? I would keep it the way it is until something goes wrong. Like they...don't fix it unless it's broken. But if you have the money to do that, more power to you. I'm waiting till I have around 100,000 miles on my R b4 I add any internals.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Stock!!!

Post by Aj »

As I'm learning the hard way, sometimes less is more. I think, honestly, if I had the opportunity, I might like my car the way it was when I bought it, in addition to the $25,000 or close to it, that I've put into it.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't get carried away......

Later,
Aj