Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulleys

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulleys

Post by 40calpal »

Does anyone use this brand b/c i've heard hands down theyre a lot better than AEM or other brands since they're super light. I know they run about $300 i think last time i checked whereas others are half the price, so i don't want to waste $ where it's not needed. Anyone tell a big difference off the line like they claim?
Sure a plane is fast but you can't chirp second in a plane!
George Knighton
ITRCA Member

Post by George Knighton »

What is it you're under driving? The crank? Or just the alternator and power steering?

I think people are a little afraid to comment because four years ago when we were buying our cars we were warned against under driving the crank pulley, and told flat out it would void the entire power train warranty.

In consequence of that, I'm not sure that many of us are using pulleys at all...but it's been four years and perhaps we should reconsider our position, in view of how much other work we're undertaking.
mstewar
New ITRCA Member

Post by mstewar »

accessory pulleys really aren't necessary IMO.. but can remove SOME parasitic drag.. unless you don't have power steering or a/c anyhow..

crank pulley is a different story.. a lot of people have gone to using the CTR pulley.. I have heard that the Unorthodox is a copy of it, but can't confirm that personally..
1998 CW ITR #0055
bbqman
Canadian Director

Vouching for UR

Post by bbqman »

At our shop , we have been selling and installing the UR crank pulleys and cam gears for about 5 years. The customers love them, the fit is top notch. The myth about blowing engines with lightweight pulleys is a crock of s**t.

I recommend them over most companies because of fit and finish.

Now, does the R really need them...this is another story .
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Post by 40calpal »

Yeah i never though about the idea does the R really need them. Have you ever dyno'd them or can you tell any difference with the UR pulliles? I heard they really help off the line. Also some guy who i wanted to install them for me said he'd have to take the engine out but some other people said no you don't, i think he was just trying to rip me off.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Re: Vouching for UR

Post by BudMan »

bbqman wrote:At our shop , we have been selling and installing the UR crank pulleys and cam gears for about 5 years. The customers love them, the fit is top notch. The myth about blowing engines with lightweight pulleys is a crock of s**t.

I recommend them over most companies because of fit and finish.

Now, does the R really need them...this is another story .
I'll back up Carl on this one. 112,000+ miles of hard street + 15 HPDE's & never opened the block yet. I've had the full UR pulley set on since 25,000 miles. :shock: They work perfectly.
Type R 98
ITRCA Member

Post by Type R 98 »

i installed 2 AEM ps pulleys and alternator and an unorthodox Crank pulley along with a CAI at the same time and the first and second gear was day in night! combined with a lightweight flywheel it really all adds up. all you do by buying it is adding tiny bits up to make an eventual whole that helps a bit everywhere throughout the powerband
All Motor Championship white Mugen exterior ITR 1998 #870
40calpal
New ITRCA Member

Post by 40calpal »

See i always see the UR pullies sold in sets so what do the others underdrive besides the crank? Check this link out:

http://www.modacar.com/products/Acura/Integra/MODAPUK/

this is just a random one i came across. Do you have to pull the engine out of the car to do this install or is it a fairly simple one? These guys were telling me they would have to haul it out to install them but i didn't trust them.
BudMan
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by BudMan »

no need to pull the motor.