HIDS

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TegR#0989
New ITRCA Member

HIDS

Post by TegR#0989 »

What are some of the best HID Kits out there. I was either thinking of going w/ the Phillips kit or the Xieon kit. Which one looks better in your guy's opinion?
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

I have the Phillips and I LOVE THEM! I really never heard anything about the X's.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I have a phillips kit as well. I got mine before all thos xxxxK color talk. Just buy an affordable phillips kit and you will be pleased I suspect. It is one of my favorite mods.
Alexander
New ITRCA Member

Post by Alexander »

I have the philips 4300K kit (from Trevor @ visualdynamics.ca) got them before everyone started talking about the different temperatures and all of that. I LOVE them. Worth every single penny ($423.09 shipped from Canada on a GB)

good luck with your choice, but I wouldn't settle for any less light output than the 4300K's.. any higher, and you get a more blue color, but less light output.. IMO the 4300K Philips kit is PURE WHITE with hints of blue at different angles. I love it.

..Alex
B2FiNiTY
ITRCA Member

Post by B2FiNiTY »

Philip's bulbs and ballasts. :thumbup:
Tur8oitr
New ITRCA Member

Post by Tur8oitr »

i got my phillips ultinon 6000k kit (phillips bulbs and balasts) from Aki @www.xenonhid.com for $450shipped.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

just to get one thing very clear, after just having to listen to a lecture on spectral dynamics, and linear optical dynamics for three hours in class, HIDs, run on a realtively narrow color scale.

Those of you who got suckered into spending more money because the box had a higher kelvin number, are exatly that, suckers.....

HIDs run in the color spectrum between about 5200k and 6400k, not higher of lower, the 6400k will look a little more toward a violet hue, and the 5200 will just be a bright white, with almost a greenish yellow tinge to it. Anything lower, and you just backed into normal headlight temperatures, and anything higher then about 6700k, falls in to the category of ultra violet radiation, and is not visible as light with the human eye.

If you're wondering about the 6400-6700k gap I didnt' mention, it's because, if someone were to produce an HID with a kelvin temp that high, it wouldn't produce enough visible light to do anything other then look pretty damn kool.

Another fact, the higher the kelvin temp, the lower the visibility at night, so for all you guys who payed a couple extra hundred bucks to have purple Xenons, yours are about 20% less bright then the guys with the whiter bulbs.

Any one out there with the white looking bulbs with a very slight blue tint, actually have the brightest one out there, and as they get progressively more purple, they get that much dimmer. If I'm not mistaken, the philips/hella kit is about as bright as you can get, and about as easy to install as possible, the only acception to that being the Piaa kit, which is stupid money any way.

Good luck, later.....
Aj
Importfreak02
New ITRCA Member

Post by Importfreak02 »

First off go with the Philipps kit hands down. But second of all Aj, so what about the 9006 and 9005 kit? waste of money? I'm not sure I quite understand.
Seller screwd me out of rollin a 2001 FBP Type R with jdm/front end conversion kit
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

The 9005 and 9006 kits are almost completely identical, the only difference being the seats on the fixture of the bulb, otherwise, one isn't brighter then the other, they just have slightly different fitments.

But, yes, they are worth doing, what I'm saying is that pretty much all the HID kits are about the same in respect to luminosity, just not the same with regards to quality of build. Don't look for a kelvin number as a judge on how good they are, look at brand. Anything utilizing a Hella balast is probably pretty good, those include, philips, hella, catz, and a couple others. Just make sure you don't get anything that looks like garbage, and you'll be ok.

Later.....
Importfreak02
New ITRCA Member

Post by Importfreak02 »

Oh, ok thanks Aj. Gotcha. BTW have you seen the philipps 9006 and 9005 kit for less than 500. I know they were talking about doing a group buy on Honda-tech for them, and they can get them for like 430.00, good price?
Seller screwd me out of rollin a 2001 FBP Type R with jdm/front end conversion kit
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

They're on Ebay all day long for like $300, I got mine luckily for something like $200, actually it's a long story, but that was the bottom line.

Later,
Aj
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

as far as looks go, it also depends, do you want that super white color, that bluish white color, or the chameleon type lights (y'know they change color depending on where you're viewing them from (they're stock on a lexus but i forget which one)). i personally like the super white ones. the bulbs run you about $80. the bluish one's are nice too, and a lot cheaper at $24. i don't know how much the chameleon one's are, but i don't necessarily like them.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

pUrExTc wrote:as far as looks go, it also depends, do you want that super white color, that bluish white color, or the chameleon type lights (y'know they change color depending on where you're viewing them from (they're stock on a lexus but i forget which one)). i personally like the super white ones. the bulbs run you about $80. the bluish one's are nice too, and a lot cheaper at $24. i don't know how much the chameleon one's are, but i don't necessarily like them.
WHAT?#!$%???

We're talking about HIDs, not replacement bulbs.....

And actually the bulbs you're reffering to on the lexus is not a colored bulb, it's the way, the light reflects off a glass projector, the same goes with many audis.

Later.....
JDMDC2turbo
New ITRCA Member

HID

Post by JDMDC2turbo »

Personally I like the pure whites...no blue or purple stuff...if you want longivity and performance on those lights, 4300k is the best but are rare to find. So the next bet step is 5200k.
Question, what is better for the JDM headlights, sockets 9005 or 9006? Currently, I'm using the 9006 socket.
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

9006-9005

Post by Aj »

The sockets are the same, the bulbs are almost virtualy the same as well, the 9005 bulbs are a tad bit brighter due to the lack of coating on the tip of the bulb, other than that, the bulbs are almost identical, the 9005 can actually with very minor cutting with some like tin snips can be made to an almost perfect fit to the 9006 housing. The reason why the 9005 seem so much brighter then the 9006 is becuase in the stock Integras, the headlight housing is angled such that it provides a beam that projects at a higher level, that's how they got the name high beam. But as far as the bulb it self, and teh sockets that connect them, they are almost identical.

Later,
Aj
JDMDC2turbo
New ITRCA Member

Post by JDMDC2turbo »

Thanks AJ
ITRChris
New ITRCA Member

Post by ITRChris »

Yeah... Trevor's kits rock. 4300K is the only way to go. I have them on my R and it is fantastic. Search H/T and you will find tons of pics. I got them 425 shipped as well.
obey
New ITRCA Member

Post by obey »

ITRChris wrote:Yeah... Trevor's kits rock. 4300K is the only way to go. I have them on my R and it is fantastic. Search H/T and you will find tons of pics. I got them 425 shipped as well.
yup trevor is the way to go
http://www.visualdynamics.ca/
#98-481 RIP
itr
ITRCA Member

Re: HIDS

Post by itr »

where did you guys mount the ballasts and igniters on both sides
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

I mounted one where the Cruise control would be (This requires the removal of a small bracket). I mounted the other on the front side of the ABS pump.

Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

AJ: Actually some/most (if not all) 5200K are coated, and all higher bulbs are even more coated/tinted. This tinting reduces the lumens substantlially. As far as Phillips bulbs go, 4300K are the non-tinted ones and put off the most lumens. IMO the color shouldn't make a difference, that's all color temp bs (as you stated, yet talked about color).

Just to point out though, normal halogen color temps are no where near 4300k unless very tinted, reducing the halogens output quite a bit.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
xanctus
New ITRCA Member

Post by xanctus »

Phillips !! or maybe Hella, but I'm not sure if Hella is fit for Honda cars?
Dave-ROR
Site Admin

Post by Dave-ROR »

Well, technically, no HID bulbs will just fit a non-OEM HID housing. They bulb bases are different (D2S and D2R bulbs use standardized mounts with bulb holders, not 9006, etc style).

All the bulbs used in aftermarket HID conversions except Catz are rebased to my knowledge.

Any ballast will work.
-Dave
Some DC2s and a pimp Grand Marquis
Erik B
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Erik B »

xanctus wrote:Phillips !! or maybe Hella, but I'm not sure if Hella is fit for Honda cars?

Phillips uses a Hella balast.
2000 Turbo Integra Type R - 508whp/362lbs tq @ 21psi
2003 Imola/Imola NSX-T
http://www.jdmwhoreinc.com
R-Fan
New ITRCA Member

Post by R-Fan »

I have a question, it has to do with lighting. To my knowledge i can't remeber if all four lights come on at night or just to. If just two does any know or have done a conversion to fit this set up (4 lights)