Turbo Charger

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
YellowITR#1474
New ITRCA Member

Turbo Charger

Post by YellowITR#1474 »

I've Had my ITR for almost a year. I've got the JRCH and CompTech Headers, Apexi N1 Exhaust, Vtech AFC, AEM CAI. I'm thinking of adding a turbo to the car. Like others that are looking for more power so am I. So I thought of going through with this. I would like to here some thoughts on this, if you have any. :twisted:
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Spell VTEC right please

Turbo on an ITR just seems wrong but if done well will make power.
alex b
New ITRCA Member

Post by alex b »

in my opinion if you want a turbo, get a car that has a turbo from the factory.

BUT... if you want a turbo set-up to work right you're going to need a lot of money. you'll need the turbo, all the necessary piping($$$), an intercooler, whole new fuel system, lower compression pistons (for reliability and anything boosting over 6psi), new rods, new clutch, air fuel gauge, egt guage, boost guage, bigger injectors, new radiator, boost controller, a fuel computer (HKS, Apex'i, Greedy), blow off valve, ignition, colder plugs, and there's a host of other little things you'll need...but im at work and dont feel like typing it all out.

and once you get all these things on, you'll need to take it somewhere and log many, many hours of dyno tuning to insure that everything is doing whats its supposed to be doing.

ive ridden in turbo'd hondas/acuras.. and it would be fun to have...but like for a week or two. then you'd start wishing you had dumped all that money on something else.

good luck though! :)
pissedoffsol
New ITRCA Member

Post by pissedoffsol »

putting a turbo on an R motor is like driving 80 in reverse :)
MiraiZ
New ITRCA Member

woooweee I'm a stupid n00b again!

Post by MiraiZ »

woooweee I'm a stupid n00b again! and loving it! :lol:
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

Trey wrote:Spell VTEC right please
Hahahaha, and this comes from a site administrator!
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Trey
Site Admin

Post by Trey »

Wasn't being mean just a pet peave. VTECH is a phone.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

yap. i knew. i have a vtech phone. it's still funny though.
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Trey wrote:Wasn't being mean just a pet peave. VTECH is a phone.
Please spell pet PEEVE right :wink: :lol:
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Thinking about boost

Post by Jan Niemi »

I feel sorry for people that are afraid of boosting the ITR.
Mine has been turboed for almost 2 years, gets 29-32 miles per gallon
and runs a 13.6 at 106 to 109mph on factory original tires.
Boosting the ITR can be done safely and effectively, you just
have to study boost. Study thermal management, buy every book you
can find on turbocharging, and lastly, exhibit some level of self control.
(boost only what the engine/drivetrain can handle) Don't forget: boost is
a function of the volumetric efficiency on the engine, anotherwords don't think that 6 to 9 p.s.i. is low boost. On an ITR that level of boost relates to
huge airflow, much more than let's say a stock b18c1. One of my favorite
experiences thanks to boost has been blasting by a brand new Nissan 350Z (on the dragstrip) with the guy's girlfriend watching- he did not go home happy!
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

The thing about boosting an itr is it's high compression. If you study about boost, it is best generated at about 8.6:1 to about 9.0:1 on the high side. So I don't see why defeat the purpose of the b18c5. Were a b18b or b18c1 is sitting in the correct compression range? No doubt it is gonna be faster than nothing(the turbo over stock), but it is a type r! N/A power band is much greater which is a benifate for auto x and road race, what the r was built for. If you wanted a drag car, go buy a light ass civic or something!
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Now own slow 4L 99 Jeep Grand Cheerokee Ltd.
Will have another ITR (if some one will buy my Jeep)
98cwitr
ITRCA Member

Post by 98cwitr »

im planning on a drag turbo kit myself. I was going to go all motor but personally i dont feel like ripping my block appart when honda did such a good job at putting it together, plus 270whp for under $5000 tuned doesnt seem like a bad price to me. I think a turbo and R goes like bananas and peanut butter personally.
'98 Integra Type R #363
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

bannana's & peanut butter? I hope that is some kind of wierd expression :shock:
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

paul98itr

Post by Jan Niemi »

:shock: I am glad that I stirred a response out of you paul98itr, but
there is a fundamental flaw in your statement, boost is not generated at any specific compression ratio, boost is generated in the intake tract, regardless of the compression ratio, it is proportional to the flow characteristics of the engine, and the turbo's relative efficiency.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

light ass civic or something...

Post by Jan Niemi »

Oh, and paul, if I wanted a drag car, I would certainly not have chosen a "light-ass" civic. The ability to out-run cars with 3 or 4 times the displacement of my Type-R gives me great joy. The reason I chose the Type-R is it already has everything I needed to go fast. The perfect gear ratios, body ridgidity that is unrivaled. Anotherwords, had I bought a "light-ass" civic, it would have needed a Type-R drivetrain and suspension, so it would not have been the wise choice. And dude, were on the same team, we both chose the "R" for a reason!! Once you've had a taste of boost you'll never be the same.
Dr Who
New ITRCA Member

Post by Dr Who »

The "lower compression ratio" thing is just a myth, more compression equals higher power to start with, correct?
Well, I am only a teenager, so I dont have as much knowledge as you fellas, but heres the linkage for you to check out.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.ph ... ompression
paul98itr
ITRCA Member

Post by paul98itr »

I guess what I mean is from history of the b18's they are less likely to blow gaskets with lower compression, but that is easily overcome with a few mods! I am just a n/a freak that is all! :lol:
Sold 98 ITR #0195
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Drag turbo kit

Post by Jan Niemi »

I would strongly recommend a Rev Hard kit, this is what I installed on my ITR, it is a very safe kit, and I have not had any problems. However the price of the kit (about $3900) is just the tip of the iceberg. Be prepared to spend more. I ended up fabricating my own downpipe, the one in the kit is junk. You will need a fuel pump, I recommend the Holley forced induction pump, the kit comes with a piggyback fuel pump (hack and whack) You will need gauges- boost, fuel pressure, oil temp, egt, air-fuel ratio. I put a Moroso sheet metal oil pan on mine- it has a bung for your turbo oil drain and oil temp sender. Also, you will need a fuel rail. Ignition should also be upgraded, I used MSD cap, coil, boost retard. There's more, let me know if you have any questions.
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

paul98itr wrote:bannana's & peanut butter? I hope that is some kind of wierd expression :shock:
y'know...type-r motor and turbo, bannana's and peanut butter...they just don't go...kinda like...uh...adam and steve don't go together...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
ITR41
ITRCA Member

Post by ITR41 »

when any type of boost is applied you need to look at the CFM of the turbo, IM, head, ect. also the key to boost is fuel and tuning. My ITR is in the planning stages of boost. I am building a custom kit so I can mix and match parts easier. I would suggest using a head gasket to lower compression a bit. you don't need too but it makes it easier. I am using a inline pro gasket myself which will lower it about a point. that is about perfect for me cause the compression is relative to how fast the turbo will spool.

on my set up I am using a EGT, BOOST gauges on the pilar. I am using the apexi auto timer so IF I need too I can see my af ratio on there. if you know how to read a EGT though you will know if you are rich or lean.
98 ITR
14.108@98mph all motor
greddy custom turbo set up from hybridynamics, 450cc injectors, cartech FMU, missing link, AFC, 255lph pump, inline pro head gasket and block gaurd, profec-b.
13.0@109mph-street tires, stock exhaust, stock internals, pump gas, ac, ps
http://www.hybridynamics.com
soon to be GE 83MM sleeved block ready for 25psi and 11's?
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Making your own turbo kit

Post by Jan Niemi »

ITR41,
I may sound like a RevHard salesman, but go with one of their kits, the components are first class and track proven. If you think you can come up with the right turbo combination for your car on your own, good luck!
If anything, at least call Turbonetics to set you up with a turbo that is efficient in the range that you want to operate in. Unfortunately, they do not sell direct. I've been down the road you're trying to travel, and did some very in depth research on piecing together everything I needed to turbocharge my ITR, there is no money to be saved building your own kit.
Lisa Kubo and Jotech + countless others use RevHard kits on their cars.
I would be more than happy to give you more info on my own turbo install, if you need it.
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Compression and turbo spooling

Post by Jan Niemi »

Compression and turbo spooling have absolutely nothing to do with each other, I challenge you to prove otherwise.
kabob
ITRCA Member

Post by kabob »

Jan, I'm curious why you didn't go with the Drag Gen 3 kit? Is there some sort of drawback to that kit or did you not feel that kit had the ability to get the most out of the R?

(Not that it matters much to me as I won't be turbocharging *any* FWD car. Just curious :P )
Jan Niemi
Senior ITRCA Member

Drag turbo kit

Post by Jan Niemi »

Kabob, someone needs to throw you on the grill.
no, seriously, why not turbo a fwd car, it really is very satisfying schooling rwd cars and many awd cars as well, but if you aren't into that oh well.
As to the Drag kit, back in spring of 2000, they didn't make a kit for a 2000 Type R. However, RevHard stepped up to the plate. As a matter of fact after Myles Bautista told me he has made 360whp at 10 Psi on a Type R, I was sold.
jroc13evol
New ITRCA Member

Post by jroc13evol »

Well Im new to this site and I dont even have a type R. But I have this to say, I have a GSR and I droped my compresion to 9:1, I wish now that I didn't, B/C with proper tuning I could have keep my stock compresion. But I want to run as much bost as possible. I see boosting a type R pointless, why spend all that money on a great N/A car, and then boost it. I mean that is the whole reason the type R was built, great all motor performance out of a 4 banger. If you want to boost something save your money and buy late model GSR and use the money on your turbo and a new suspention. I got my GSR for $6000. I love boost and I love the Type R, but they do not belong together. If you ever wanted to sell it, you would be stuck. But thats just my 2 cents. I know I cant spell.

12.4 @ 116mph drag radials (G-force)