Toda ind. throttle body and hondata Q

Integra Type-R Discussion - Discuss general ITR information, technical information (including requests for technical/mechanical help/assistance), modifications, tuning, etc.
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Toda ind. throttle body and hondata Q

Post by TypeRPaul »

well whats everyone's take on the individual throttle body? expensive but good all motor #'s? and hondata stage 4 is cheaper than aem unit by like 400 bucks whats the diff...again running all motor set up
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
pUrExTc
ITRCA Member

Post by pUrExTc »

I reallyx wouldn't buy anything from AEM other than their CAI. And the only reason I buy the CAI, is because for a street legal intake, it's pretty good. I'm sure you've heard a lot of people tell you problems with AEM products here and there...
'98 Acura Integra Type-R
'03 Honda CBR600RR
Surgeon General's Warning: It's OK to Smoke V8's
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Toda individual throttle bodies are sweet, but not only do you need a standalone to run them, not all standalones will. Not to mention that they're $2600, and thats without the optional filter attachments.

As far as differences between the AEM EMS and the Hondata stage four, the Hondata stage 4 is actually not cheaper after you buy a P28 or P72 ECU and a jumper harness, as a matter of fact, if anything it'll probably be a good bit more expensive, especially since you can find the AEM EMS for like 1200 if you look hard enough.

Other differences, the AEM EMS is plug and play, where the Hondata requires the use of an OBD1 ecu and wiring harness adapter, the AEM EMS utilizes the factory sensors including the knock sensor, where the Hondata doesn't use a couple of them, and the ones they do use are often out of calibration, for example, using an OBD1 ecu may, and probably will cause an oscilating idle, which is really annoying, it may also cause cold rough starts, jerky driving at low speeds, and not to say the least poor fuel economy. The down sides to the AEM EMS are that it's only so expandable, and the plug and play module only has a couple inputs although, all motor, you probably won't use any. They both allow you to control the mapping and timing, although the AEM can be done by laptop on the fly, in addition to datalogging. With the Hondata, you need to buy all their products to get it to work, which after you add it all up, it's pretty expensive to be able to tune it your self.

If you already run an OBD1 P28 or P72 ECU, them Hondata id the way to go, though for all motor, I wouldn't buy anything more then like the stage 2, as there really isn't any point. But if you want to keep some semblance of an OBD2 ECU, and you don't feel like doing the whole OBD1 conversion harness and ECU, they AEM EMS is the way to go.

Good Luck, Later....
Aj
TypeRPaul
New ITRCA Member

Post by TypeRPaul »

Hey Aj have you worked with the new s200 system? do you know if i can run itb's with it? also for the obd1 convershion what do i need?
01 nbp ITR
-AEM CAI
-Apexi N1 cat-back exaust
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Yes; not sure; and just the jumper harness and a P28 or P72, both will work with a hondata, the rest is cake.

If you need some advice on chipping, let me know, otherwise, it's pretty simple, just plug and play.

Later,
Aj
Aquafina
produced by PepsiCo.

Post by Aquafina »

When I get my ITR, I'm getting the Toda Sport Injection kit, but I haven't seen the optional filters and was just going to have a machine shop make little removable clips for HKS SMF filters (the small ones). How much do the optional filters cost?
Whoopee Doo Racing ITR EXPO 6,7,8,9 Sponsor
MFactory, Rocket Motorsports, Action Clutch, CP Pistons, Supertech
MFactory North American Installer
Aj
Senior ITRCA Member

Post by Aj »

Not sure, they're not available state side, but you can call Signal auto, last I saw, they had them on an NSX motor in a hatchback. Hope you find them....

Later,
Aj